“Make sure you eat a WHOLE avocado then your body will start burning fat!” and other silly things!

Options

Replies

• newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Don't exercise beyond the "fat burning" zone, or you won't lose weight.

Did you happen to look at the MFP Blog page recently? ;)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    You can't lose weight if you eat more than 45 grams of sugar a day (both natural and added). You can't lose weight if you eat bread, rice .........and so many other carbs. Bananas and mangos will prevent weight loss. I have been doing it all wrong but must be the exception because I eat all of the above.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    debtay123 wrote: »
    Oh yeah- the one where they say " the some people are just meant to be fat- it is in the genes-"- nothing can be done about it- so sad that some folks really believe it-

Don't know about it being in the genes but the fat is definately in the jeans of some people. .
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I really wish we still had the "Awesome" button, because some of these are so hilarious that "Like" just doesn't cover it!

My contribution from a family member:

"Butter is fine on a dairy-free diet, you just can't drink milk because it's an enzyme."

And those of you with celiac disease will LOVE this next one, from the same person:

"I don't eat white bread, because I'm eating gluten-free, so I buy wholewheat."

also:

"Cous cous is healthy and gluten-free. Semolina isn't healthy because it's white and processed."
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If you eat any sweets at all, such as a piece of pie, your body will hold on to all of the calories you eat until you eat more pie

sorry what? i don't want to argue with the messenger, but i can't help being too intrigued to shut up. so, what? you eat a piece of pie, your body holds onto the calories, and then you eat more pie, and your body . . . what? releases them all?

does it release only the backed-up calories from the first piece, or does it release both of them together, or what? is it like an every-other-piece-cancels thing? like one piece of pie = 'hold' calories, but two pieces 'releases' them?

or is it a kind of chain-reactiony thing, where each piece of pie releases the calories of the piece before it but then enters the 'holding' buffer itself until the piece after it comes along and sets it free in its turn?

i know it's not your problem ;) but i'm just so fascinated by how this could have worked in the original person's mind.

Apparently we need to eat pieces of pie in even-number increments. Piece one, retain calories; piece two, release calories. So whatever you do, have another slice of pie!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    What if I have only half a piece of pie?
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I have a Brach's chocolate orange, the one that you break in slices. So theoretically, I'd should be a calorie releasing machine today! :D
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There is a grain, a tiny grain, of something valid here. Chilling starches (potatoes, pasta) does appear to *somewhat* reduce the number of calories available to your body because a portion of the starch is converted to "resistant starch." It goes to the large intestine and acts more like fiber there (passing through your body). But you can get the same impact from cooking the potato, chilling it, and then reheating it. And it's not going to make the potato calorie-free.

that might work, but after chewing up potato, pasta or any food and swallowing it, it will warm to body temp in your stomach before it ever makes it to your intestines.
    tess5036 wrote: »
    Hmmmm...
    -Don't drink a cold drink with food, it will solidify fat and your body will absorb more of it

like above, anything in your stomach will warm up. so funny!

The resistant starch is known to happen with pasta and rice. I don't recall seeing evidence that it happened with potatoes. The process is to cook it then refrigerate it for 12 hours to accomplish the conversion. Eating and thus warming it to body temp does not un-convert the resistance.
    The bacteria in the large intestine digest and consume the resistant starches which you failed to digest.

I'm not informed of how bacteria respond to having a big old meal of resistant starch.

They are happy bacteria. And if this is a dramatic change in your eating habits, you might have too few bacteria each eating too much delicious bacteria food, such that they are overfed and start micro-tooting, thus giving you more-than-usual intestinal gas. Seriously.

Right - you're the one who posted about the micro-toots the other day! I was bloaty this morning when I got up, and visions of tiny bacteria farting away in my gut were making my head explode. Thanks a lot! :)

I love this image. Happy little bacteria making tiny little toots.
  • tuolon
    tuolon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My ex husband told me that I can't lose weight by swimming because the water is too cold to burn fat. Funny, I am losing weight by swimming.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Ppp
    aaiiee wrote: »
    Y'all ever heard of the Apple only diet? Eat as many apples as you want & you'll lose weight.

That might really help me. I'm not too fond of apples.
    Don't think I'm quite that desperate yet.
    My mother got the Beverly Hills Diet book from the library and I read it. I don't think I even believed it then, it was so silly, but I wanted to try it (I was around 12 and not overweight but wanted to be a little thinner, and I loved the idea of just eating unlimited fruit). My mother didn't let me (in that she wouldn't buy the fruits needed for the program) except she let me get grapefruit (which it turned out I hated). Here's an explanation (dealing with the updated and slightly less stupid but still really stupid version of the diet) from https://www.diet.com/g/beverly-hills-diet:

"The Beverly Hills diet...is based on the idea that it is not what a person eats, or even how much food is eaten that causes a person to gain weight [but]...the combinations in which foods are eaten and the order in which they are eaten causes weight gain.... [E]ating foods in the wrong order can stop some foods from being digested, and it is the undigested foods that cause fat build-up....

....[F]ruit must be eaten alone and must be eaten before anything else is consumed during the day [and]...each type of fruit must be eaten alone.... f a dieter eats an orange, the dieter must wait at least one full hour before eating another type of fruit, such as a pear. If the dieter eats a different type of food, such as a protein, the dieter must wait until the next day to eat fruit again.

...[P]rotein and carbohydrates cannot be eaten together....[O]n the first day of the diet, dieters are instructed to eat pineapple, corn on the cob, and a salad made of lettuce, tomatoes, and onions with Mazel dressing. (Mazel dressing is a recipe included in the book, and shows up frequently throughout the 35-day diet.) This means that dieters may eat as much pineapple as desired in the morning, but once they beginning eating corn on the cob they cannot go back and eat more pineapple. Once the salad is eaten, both corn on the cob and pineapple are no longer allowed. Dieters are instructed to wait between changing foods to ensure proper digestion.

Some days on the diet only one type of food is permitted during the entire day. Day three of the diet allows the dieter only to consume grapes. On other days the dieter is only allowed to eat watermelon. Although these rules are extremely restrictive, they are not as restrictive as the rules set out in the original Beverly Hills diet. On that diet, dieters were only allowed to eat fruit for the first 10 days of the diet. No animal protein was allowed at all until the 19th day...."

I always thought this might work for a while because of all the rules and being afraid to eat anything because you're afraid you'll break the rules.
    Also pretty much rules out fast food, except maybe salad, but have to be careful of that, too, because of meat and croutons.
  • jb050794
    jb050794 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thr33N1N3 wrote: »
    Diet soda will make me gain weight.
    Don't eat at night or your body stores it as fat.
    Eating smaller meals helps you burn fat faster by upping your metabolism.
    If you toast bread it reduces the calories because it burns them off.
    I need to do situps to lose belly fat.
    ACV

"If you toast bread it reduces the calories because it burns them off."

Lol
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There is a grain, a tiny grain, of something valid here. Chilling starches (potatoes, pasta) does appear to *somewhat* reduce the number of calories available to your body because a portion of the starch is converted to "resistant starch." It goes to the large intestine and acts more like fiber there (passing through your body). But you can get the same impact from cooking the potato, chilling it, and then reheating it. And it's not going to make the potato calorie-free.

that might work, but after chewing up potato, pasta or any food and swallowing it, it will warm to body temp in your stomach before it ever makes it to your intestines.
    Hmmmm...
    -Don't drink a cold drink with food, it will solidify fat and your body will absorb more of it

It doesn't have to *stay cold* in your body. The act of chilling it is what converts some of the starch to resistant starch even if the food is later reheated or if it reaches the temperature of your body while it is being digested.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Hmmmm...

The resistant starch is known to happen with pasta and rice. I don't recall seeing evidence that it happened with potatoes.

It does. Here's one discussion, but there are lots: https://www.nature.com/articles/1602238

This also supports the idea that eating potatoes cold with a vinegar-based dressing (i.e., German potato salad, yum!) probably is better if you have insulin issues than many other ways of consuming potatoes.

That said, I've always chilled cooked potatoes and rice often, since I tend to make enough for leftovers. For the record, it did not prevent me from getting fat. So I'm one who won't be pre-chilling all my starches or thinking "yay, pre-chilled potatoes, I can go wild and eat more." If it's a calorie bonus, great.

I eat most of my potatoes, pasta, and rice cold (because I cook in batches, save the leftovers, and don't heat them up) and whatever the calorie difference may be it has never been enough to make a difference I could notice in my long-term results (and I eat a fair amount of all three foods).