January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 it was definitely the machine and thankfully not a pipe. I shop vac'd the rug and I'll worry about the washer over the weekend.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 it was definitely the machine and thankfully not a pipe. I shop vac'd the rug and I'll worry about the washer over the weekend.

My washing machine broke today too @skippygirlsmom. In my case it started smoking and set off the smoke detector. I am hanging out at the laundromat tonight...
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    9.37 km River Bank Trail. A beautiful warm evening, -3C which is a long way from the -31C of last week.
    Went out a little too early as the Full Moon was still below the Horizon.
    My Average winter pace is a full minute off my avg summer easy pace. I blame it on numerous factors
    Reduced activity in Nov and Dec
    Footing stability concerns
    Running everything in the dark.
    Did manage to bust out a 400m Finishing Sprint and got down to a semi-respectable 5:45/km.

exercise.png

01/02 9.37 km – 130.63 km – YTD 9.37 km - River Bank Evening Trail Run

My 2017 Strava Compilation / Rorschach test - Thanks to @7lenny7 .
    My challenge to my fellow runners is pick out a pictograph by Row/Column and describe it.
    ie 6 down 7 across = Snoopy on a Leash

It says Run and Ride - it was all running - made a setup / edit error and to lazy to go back and correct it.
    9yqumi3fobsb.jpg
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Thanks for linking the mittens again. I'd been meaning to ask how you liked them, as my fingers suffer in any kind of cooler temps, and they looked rather good. I'll be sure to put my Amazon gift card Christmas present to good use!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Winnit_25 wrote: »
    I feel for you guys in the northern hemisphere, here in Canberra, Australia it is 29 degrees celcius (84F) today

@Orphia Look you have a Continental Neighbor in the gang.
    @Winnit_25 Welcome to the Runners challenge, would rather have a Cold temp than a Hot one, I mean you can only take off so many clothes before you get arrested B) , unless you are on one of the " Special Beach's ". Heat Stroke is a bigger risk than Hypothermia, at least for me.
  • penko47
    penko47 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • 1kramertx
    1kramertx Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    New to group - but not new to running (did my first half in 2008). However, I haven't run but a few times since doing the Disney World Wine & Dine in November. Was even too sick to go down to the start line of the Avengers Half Marathon at Disneyland - ruined that Coast to Coast weekend! So needless to say I am way behind in my training for the Disney Princess Fairy Tale Challenge at the end of February. Got on the treadmill today for a slower run/walk for 2 miles.

Looking for motivation since I miss running on a regular basis and not worrying about how cold or wet it is outside to go run. Have to shed a few pounds (that's why I am back on MyFitness Pal app) and "ran" across this message board. I probably won't post much but will definitely go through the posts to find some motivation as I have signed up for the following:

Dallas Hot Chocolate 15K on 2/3
    Disney Fairy Tale Challenge - 2/24 & 2/25
    Dallas RNR Half - 3/25

And looking to add a few 10Ks in March & April before any fall races.

Happy to find this group and hopefully hear from other RunDisney fanatics!!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    IM BACK!!! kinda took oct-December off of running. I did run a few times, but not enough to do a challenge. But I have a free entry into the Missoula Marathon, so who am I to pass up a free race. Also I plan to complete to 2018 You Vs The Year Challenge, So I better get back into this. Surprisingly I haven't lost much of what I built being lazy, lol

1/1/18-6 miles

exercise.png

@angmarie28 Send me a PM with your Map My Run profile and I'll add you. I need more contacts on there, and would love to see you train for your marathon.

kgirlhart wrote: »
    For those of you that use garmin connect and do yoga, how do you enter that? I can enter it as a manual activity but it doesn't give me calories or hr info. If I enter it as cardio on my watch it gives me the calorie and hr info, but there is no yoga option and it goes over to mfp as aerobics. It's not a big deal, I'm just still figuring out the new garmin and I just wondered if there was a way to enter it so that it shows up as yoga.

@kgirlhart It depends on the Garmin. Mine, the Fenix 5, let me create a type of exercise I called yoga, and I let it count heart rate and distance. Not sure what your Forerunner 35 can do. Maybe you can find help on Google.

@RunTimer :heart your John Irving quotation.

juliet3455 wrote: »
    Winnit_25 wrote: »
    I feel for you guys in the northern hemisphere, here in Canberra, Australia it is 29 degrees celcius (84F) today

@Orphia Look you have a Continental Neighbor in the gang.
    @Winnit_25 Welcome to the Runners challenge, would rather have a Cold temp than a Hot one, I mean you can only take off so many clothes before you get arrested B) , unless you are on one of the " Special Beach's ". Heat Stroke is a bigger risk than Hypothermia, at least for me.

@juliet3455 I totally relished clicking that "Like". :smile: @Winnit_25 My goal for the year is the Canberra Running Festival 50 km, if I can afford the flights/accommodation etc. Should be a bit cooler by then. Or freezing, if I know much about Canberra.

@penko47 Woo yay hooplah on your success with running slower! So lovely to hear.

@SamBis13 Wow, you're from Malawi!! Please please please stick around and tell us more about running where you live.

@HRKinchen Bravo you, for sticking to your NY running resolution for so long! Glad you piped up! Would love to hear more from you, but the main thing is, you're running! :heart:
  • power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    January 1 - 7 km run / strength training
    January 2 - rest day
    January 3 - 18 km run / 10 km stairmarster

25 km - goal 350 km.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    1/1 4 miles/4 miles
    1/2 0 back at work
    1/3 6 miles/10 cumulative

Goal: 100 mile in Jan

1/2 Fell prey to the get up early to run, decide to go into work instead to get stuff done. Then it never happened. This is how I ended up never running in 2017. Need to change that.
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Hurt my foot in the NYE 5k, but I'm in for the month anyway. Hopefully the foot is feeling better sooner rather than later.
    Mileage goal: 50 miles
    Pace goal: 8 minute mile on the days I do short runs
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Rest day
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Quick TM run this morning. It's my first day back at work since the Friday before Christmas, and I didn't relish having to be up at 4am again. But I got it done.

Registered yesterday for my January and February races. Woot woot! Now if this cold snap would just pass so I can get off the TM and back on the road...

MTD: 4.25/45
    1/2 - 3.0
    1/3 - 1.25

Goals for 2018:
    - Run 500 miles
    - Run a nonstop (no walking) 5K
    - Run/walk my first 10K
    - Run 3+ trail races
    - Run in 3+ states

Races to Consider:
    1/27 - Mississippi Blues Marathon 5K (Registered)
    2/18 - Q50 Trails Extravaganza 5M (Registered)
    3/17 - Hammond Shamrock Run 5K (First race I ever ran, in 2017)
    3/18 - Shamrockin Run 8K in NOLA
    4/20 - Star Wars Dark Side 5K in WDW (Registered)
    5/12 - Q50 Cinco de Mayo Trail Race 5K (First trail race I ever ran, in 2017)
    6/21 - Summer Solstice 6.21M

• weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I am done with the UA Map My Run You vs the Year Challenge. Like so many others these are led by people who could not be running the miles they post. I suspect they say they are running and then just charge all activities to it in the hopes of winning the monthly prizes. There is just no way people could be running the amount of miles and hours every day without a break to make the total number of miles they post.
    I know what you mean! I started it Jan. 1 and there were people with 150km already in one workout... And their names weren't @JessicaMcB
    I'm going to stick with it so I can see my yearly totals and I can't win prizes anyways so it doesn't really make a difference if they fudge their numbers.