January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask but I feel more comfortable asking here than starting a brand new thread in the "Weight Loss" discussion forum.

I'm curious if any runners here have weight loss goals but have trouble losing pounds -- even though they are making gains in lung capacity, speed, endurance, etc.?

For me, I think it has to do a lot with genetics, my desk job and my occasional sweet tooth that can run wild and wreak havoc on what otherwise would have been an incredible week of healthy eating. :)

Before I started running in September, I was barely exercising and would go weeks at a time without doing anything (due to a loss in the family, depression, major self-esteem issues and whatnot.) And then, suddenly, I decided to do something about it so I began running 1/3 mile stretches (the most I could do before I ran out of breath) with a goal of at least 1 mile per day.

Gradually, I increased my mileage and ended up losing about 8 pounds between September and now -- and that was never my goal. My only goal was to improve my breathing and run farther. And the pounds came off.

Suddenly, though, it stopped despite me running faster, farther, etc. I lost inches early on too, but that has stopped.

What should I be doing to push past this plateau? Should I eat more, less? Am I not running hard or long enough? Currently, I average about 3 miles/5 days a week. (Part of the problem is it's so cold and I hate running on the treadmill.) I was running closer to 5-7 mile per day in the fall when it was warmer outside!

My eating could be better. (Diary is public.) The past week hasn't been the greatest but generally I eat fairly well. I never drink soda, sugary drinks, etc. But I have a measured amount of creamer in my coffee every day and have a sweet tooth for desserts from time to time, haha. :)

Also, I have a desk job, so I'm sitting for 8 hours a day. Not much I can change about that, but I'm pretty sure that has a lot to do with it, too.

Sorry to bore everyone -- just curious if anyone is going through a similar situation!

@LaurenFOB2301

Are you logging your calories as accurately as possible? Are you being honest with yourself and logging everything you eat? (No accusations - it's a known human failing.)

Are you weighing calorie dense food on a digital scale in grams, and measuring solids in grams?

Cups and spoons can put you over your limit easily:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Have you adjusted your MFP weight loss goals to show your current weight? Every 10 lbs lost you need to adjust it because you'll be burning less calories to stay alive, so your daily calorie limit will be less.

There are lots of tips in the General Weight Loss forum Helpful Posts announcement.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Date Miles today - Miles for January

1/1 REST DAY <<< traveling back from FL
    1/2 6.2 miles - 6.2
    1/3 REST DAY

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon - 4/7/18

I was going to run this afternoon (even had my gym bag sitting next to me the entire day) but my glutes are screaming at me. So another rest day I will take.

Why does @Stoshew71's exercise.png never show up for me? Is it just me?
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    January Goal....do something

1/1 gobsmacked
    1/2 3.35
    1/3 3.20

Total 6.55

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Phoenix Women's 10k 1/28/18
  • SamBis13
    SamBis13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    02/01 - 2.1km
    03/01 - 2.09km

MTD - 4.19/60km
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I've got a head cold and have to take it easy, even though I'm REALLY itching to run. Hopefully tomorrow. The hard training is basically done; my goal right now is to be healthy. Working on a pot of herbal tea (+lemon, ginger, pomelo peel & honey), already took the vitamins, and have a batch of the neighbor's magical onion cold syrup making itself on the radiator.

Started a new tradition with the kids - a "morning mile" to walk or run before school/preschool (not part of my monthly goal distance, as this is basically going to be a walk around the block for me). Today's was a disaster with one child having a meltdown because I think he got up too early and just couldn't decide if he really wanted to go or not (I'm not forcing anyone to do it!). So we cut it short and it wasn't even a "morning 3/4 kilometer". Took the 1st grader to school by bike, and will go for a walk later downtown to meet a friend, but am not logging any of that either, as it all fits into my normal daily activities.

Gotta go clean my house and get some work done. And drink some more tea.

exercise.png

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    1/1/17 1.65 Leg Day
    1/2/17 rest (sick)
    1/3/17 rest (sick)
    1/4/17 Biceps and abs

Total 1.65 / 50

Got up at 4 am to get it done. Blah.

My strava map is sad since I didnt use strava much and didn't run much last year. Not seeing how to add it in the app.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    1/1 - 4 treadmill miles on a way too cold day.
    1/2 - Two flat tires doomed my chances of getting to the Y / gym.
    1/3 - 4 more 'mill miles.
    1/4 - 5.1 treadmill miles at Trek Class, then upper body weights.

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Oh good, looking at the 10-day forecast... it will be merely freezing next week which is you know THREE TO FOUR TIMES WARMER than this week. heh.
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Might be taking today off. My back is still tight, feels better than yesterday but I think it needs a rest.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    1/1-4 miles New Years run
    1/2-4.1 miles dreadmill intervals+ "Functional Training with Stella"
    1/3-4.4 miles+ stretching/PT

Another pretty uneventful run last night. Cold, and dark and slow due to icy roads. This is beginning to sound like a broken record. Wednesdays has been a non-running day for the past few months, but I am trying to work back up to 5-6 days/week for marathon training, so this was just one of those "get in a few extra miles" kind of runs. Longer run planned for this evening, but I should be able to get out there before dark, so maybe it won't feel like such a slog.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @1kramertx Welcome to the group! I ran the Dallas Hot Chocolate 15K last year and loved it...I would have signed up for it this year but it's too soon for me while recovering from a stress fracture. I do intend to sign up for the Texas Big Star Half Marathon in April though.

@garygse and @1kramertx I was thinking of running that this year! I ran the 5k a couple of years ago, well not ran, walked..lol and love the jacket you got. The only thing that was awful was getting there for packet pickup.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

1/2 6.2 miles - 6.2
    1/3 REST DAY
    1/4 6.5 miles - 12.7

exercise.png

Upcoming races:

• PastorVincent
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

1/2 6.2 miles - 6.2
    1/3 REST DAY

exercise.png

Upcoming races:

I was going to run this afternoon (even had my gym bag sitting next to me the entire day) but my glutes are screaming at me. So another rest day I will take.

Why does @Stoshew71's exercise.png never show up for me? Is it just me?

Same here.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    garygse wrote: »
    @1kramertx Welcome to the group! I ran the Dallas Hot Chocolate 15K last year and loved it...I would have signed up for it this year but it's too soon for me while recovering from a stress fracture. I do intend to sign up for the Texas Big Star Half Marathon in April though.

@garygse and @1kramertx I was thinking of running that this year! I ran the 5k a couple of years ago, well not ran, walked..lol and love the jacket you got. The only thing that was awful was getting there for packet pickup.

I've done the Scottsdale one a few times. They now offer packet mailing. It's like $15 but for me so worth it. The race is about a 40 minute drive with no traffic so trying to get there on a Saturday and Sunday is difficult and a PITA. I've opted to pay a bit more to get it mailed to me. LOL
    Oh good, looking at the 10-day forecast... it will be merely freezing next week which is you know THREE TO FOUR TIMES WARMER than this week. heh.

Meanwhile in Phoenix we are having March temperatures. I hope this does not mean we will have June temps starting in March...
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    SO, I'm thinking.... We all have goals for this year and it's so easy to declare goals and then they slip by as time goes on, just never staying at the forefront of our minds, never really getting the dedication they deserve. and a new year comes, and I never made as much progress as I'd liked.

What if we did another google sheet? I'm not sure if we'd want to do a tab per person or just a X "im doing this" and the date achieved or if someone has other thoughts. Specific monthly challenges? like eat broccoli? LOL!

I started one here I cant remember how to make sure its unlocked... so if its not, just let me know or if you'd rather start one that's totally okay by me.

@Elise4270 I put my goals for the year in. I haven't ran at all but I put in my stuff for Jan (username) LOL
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Meanwhile in Phoenix we are having March temperatures. I hope this does not mean we will have June temps starting in March...

Yeah, the whole hemisphere is goofy

7dn4ytbjvpbt.png

Red is WARMER than normal, blue is COLDER than normal.