1/2 6.2 miles - 6.2
    1/3 REST DAY

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon - 4/7/18

I was going to run this afternoon (even had my gym bag sitting next to me the entire day) but my glutes are screaming at me. So another rest day I will take.

Why does @Stoshew71's exercise.png never show up for me? Is it just me?

Probably because I haven't updated it in a while. My work started blocking it and I got tired of trying to update it from my phone when I get horrible cell service at work.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask but I feel more comfortable asking here than starting a brand new thread in the "Weight Loss" discussion forum.

I'm curious if any runners here have weight loss goals but have trouble losing pounds -- even though they are making gains in lung capacity, speed, endurance, etc.?

For me, I think it has to do a lot with genetics, my desk job and my occasional sweet tooth that can run wild and wreak havoc on what otherwise would have been an incredible week of healthy eating. :)

Before I started running in September, I was barely exercising and would go weeks at a time without doing anything (due to a loss in the family, depression, major self-esteem issues and whatnot.) And then, suddenly, I decided to do something about it so I began running 1/3 mile stretches (the most I could do before I ran out of breath) with a goal of at least 1 mile per day.

Gradually, I increased my mileage and ended up losing about 8 pounds between September and now -- and that was never my goal. My only goal was to improve my breathing and run farther. And the pounds came off.

Suddenly, though, it stopped despite me running faster, farther, etc. I lost inches early on too, but that has stopped.

What should I be doing to push past this plateau? Should I eat more, less? Am I not running hard or long enough? Currently, I average about 3 miles/5 days a week. (Part of the problem is it's so cold and I hate running on the treadmill.) I was running closer to 5-7 mile per day in the fall when it was warmer outside!

My eating could be better. (Diary is public.) The past week hasn't been the greatest but generally I eat fairly well. I never drink soda, sugary drinks, etc. But I have a measured amount of creamer in my coffee every day and have a sweet tooth for desserts from time to time, haha. :)

Also, I have a desk job, so I'm sitting for 8 hours a day. Not much I can change about that, but I'm pretty sure that has a lot to do with it, too.

Sorry to bore everyone -- just curious if anyone is going through a similar situation!

You might be counting your exercise calories too high. Strava especially way over inflates calories burned. Try taking only HALF of what your work out app says you should get.

Good point! I use Samsung Health but just downloaded Strava yesterday and planned to try that app while running outdoors.

I do notice I tend to 'compensate eat' when I know I've put in a lot of miles one day and MFP says I have "extra calories" to spare, lol.

@LaurenFOB2301 I have this spreadsheet
    spreadsheet So if you like numbers, you can plug in your average and go with what it calculates for a daily goal and not eat back the exercise calories that MFP suggests. Between Garmin and MFP, I think it WAY over calculates mine, so this has been a good tool. Lots of ways to figure it out.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @7lenny7 see I'm on the opposite page from your wife- Ben is fully aware if he shaves his off (largely because plants he visits make him shave it off to enter -_- )I'm gonna whine about it haha

January 1- 18
    January 2- 20
    January 3- 19

57/550

57/6000

2018 Races
    *Gord's Frozen A** 50K, February 19
    *JAJA Trail Marathon, April 1
    *Red Deer Marathon, May 20
    *Lone Wolf Last Man Standing Race, June 17
    *Eddie's Half Marathon, TBA June
    *Run in the Buff 120km TBA August
    *Lost Souls 100 Mile September 7

Me too! Michael has always had a beard or goatee since we met. He doesn't look right to me if he shaves it off.
  • bossymom15
    bossymom15 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Well, fell short In Dec by 10 miles. Just too darn cold and dark! I don't have access to a treadmill right now (loathe them anyway) but I do have an elliptical I can use, so I may have to count that. I've gathered some cold weather running gear, but It has to get past 10 degrees before I'm trying it out!

January goal - 35 miles

1/3 - 1.5 miles - put on my new fleece lined pants a couple of shirts, jacket, new buff & gloves and hit the street. It was 25 degrees. Not too bad, think i'll try it again tonight.

Bossymom15
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Also, how can I get hooked up on the FB group @Stoshew71 ???
    Thanks all, will post my run for today later ;)

Welcome!!!! @Orphia is in charge of the FB group. She can help there.

Edited: Or @PastorVincent can. lol
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn @JessicaMcB If yall are seriously considering the CDR I might be interested. I could do the "hot" portion (although I would probably still need a jacket). I still need to let a few things settle on the job front to see where I'll be but I'll be training for another 50k in November so a leg in the CDR would be fun.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    SO, I'm thinking.... We all have goals for this year and it's so easy to declare goals and then they slip by as time goes on, just never staying at the forefront of our minds, never really getting the dedication they deserve. and a new year comes, and I never made as much progress as I'd liked.

What if we did another google sheet? I'm not sure if we'd want to do a tab per person or just a X "im doing this" and the date achieved or if someone has other thoughts. Specific monthly challenges? like eat broccoli? LOL!

I started one here I cant remember how to make sure its unlocked... so if its not, just let me know or if you'd rather start one that's totally okay by me.

@Elise4270 I put my goals for the year in. I haven't ran at all but I put in my stuff for Jan (username) LOL

I ran a 1.5 miles two days ago. I'm regretting it today. I doubt I'll run any more this month.

ALL, I made a 2018 goal tab for the other goals we have for the year. Like eat better, do PT, take a class... ect. This thread helps staying focused on mileage, figured perhaps the spreadsheet would help on our non-running goals. I can look through there and come here to ask how their progress is going, and so can you. :wink:
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @SashEdwards Hi and welcome from Edmonton!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

ALL, I made a 2018 goal tab for the other goals we have for the year. Like eat better, do PT, take a class... ect. This thread helps staying focused on mileage, figured perhaps the spreadsheet would help on our non-running goals. I can look through there and come here to ask how their progress is going, and so can you. :wink:

Heh - my primary goal is to make it another year without getting a pacemaker!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options

Mine is to go another year without a diabetes diagnosis... I have a 1 in 2 chance of developing it at some point in my life.
  • Elise4270
    Options

You do gotta do whatch gotta do to keep tickin'. That is, if you wanna tick. :grin:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Little late to the party...I didn't know there was a Strava group, too. I just sent a request to join whoever moderates it. I'm Mallory :)

Gotcha. Welcome!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    1/1 = 6 miles
    1/2 = rest day
    1/3 = 7.5 miles
    1/4 = vinyasa yoga class

January Goal = 140 miles / total miles = 13.5
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn @JessicaMcB If yall are seriously considering the CDR I might be interested. I could do the "hot" portion (although I would probably still need a jacket). I still need to let a few things settle on the job front to see where I'll be but I'll be training for another 50k in November so a leg in the CDR would be fun.

I can't this year, but 19 I might be able to fit it in, if it doesn't conflict with my other training schedules. CDR is a huge bucket list race for me because of the coolness of it.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    SO, I'm thinking.... We all have goals for this year and it's so easy to declare goals and then they slip by as time goes on, just never staying at the forefront of our minds, never really getting the dedication they deserve. and a new year comes, and I never made as much progress as I'd liked.

What if we did another google sheet? I'm not sure if we'd want to do a tab per person or just a X "im doing this" and the date achieved or if someone has other thoughts. Specific monthly challenges? like eat broccoli? LOL!

I started one here I cant remember how to make sure its unlocked... so if its not, just let me know or if you'd rather start one that's totally okay by me.
    Saved this, will work on it after work, but probably tomorrow. *dew claws up*

1/1Run 2.07 miles
    1/2 Run 2.01 miles
    1/3 Run 6.51 miles
    1/4 Run 2.51 miles
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Came down with a stomach bug after Christmas, so I'm trying for 100 again this month.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    March: Shake Your Shamrock 8K
    March: Philly LOVE Run
    April: Hot Chocolate 15K
    May: Broad Street Run
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Oh good, looking at the 10-day forecast... it will be merely freezing next week which is you know THREE TO FOUR TIMES WARMER than this week. heh.

Meanwhile in Phoenix we are having March temperatures. I hope this does not mean we will have June temps starting in March...
    I know right?! I feel like we have had NO winter or fall for that matter :( just a couple of not quite as hot as summer weeks... So California is looking at drought conditions again if we don't start getting some regular rain.