Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is a calorie equal to a calorie?

Options
I’m just curious if anybody has any links to a scientific article or journal talking about calories in terms of if 100 calories of apples is equal to 100 calories of oreos.
I was debating this in my head while reading some other discussions. Depending on what I eat, how hungry I am, and how active I am, I eat between 1700-3000 calories. On average it’s around 2000. My calories only come from whole fruits and vegetables. I’m just thinking...I don’t think a calorie really equals a calorie because the body uses the food differently. White bread vs Sweet Potato, PB2 vs Almond Butter, Cane sugar vs Dates, Faux Chicken vs spinach, etc etc

Replies

• UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Don't confuse energy with nutrients

^^^This...
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    In scientific terms (using metric units), a calorie is defined as the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1 millilitre of pure water by 1 degree centigrade (at a pressure of 1 atmosphere).
    That's it.
    That's all it is.

(NB what we call calories in daily life are actually kilocalories - kcal, 1000 calories.)