Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I find that by pre- planning my food for the day I can see how many cals I get to without wine and then how many by having it. This helps me to make an informed decision. I wasnt y too good over Christmas but will find this a useful technique in the next six months. I am not cutting out completely but definitely cutting back. I sleep better without alcohol for sure...and if I don’t have any I do lose weight whilst still having qioute a bit of food. The choice should be straightforward but not easy with social pressures! Good luck everybody...
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I’m in for a Damp January! LOL

I’ve been watching this thread since it’s inception. Truly have enjoyed reading everyone’s posts and updates, and now I’m ready to join all of you! I drink primarily wine, and definitely have been wanting to cut back. We left for vacation yesterday and I left the wine I purchased for the trip at home and I don’t intend to purchase any while we are here. That’s a huge step for me. We’re here for 9 days and my plan is to use this time away to reflect on and to refocus on my overall goals (health, fitness, family, work).

There is so much great information, insights, and encouragement in this thread. Love it! Hope you all have the day you wish for!

Wow! Great step for you!! Enjoy your reflections!!

@kcn2bluesky Good for you that is awesome!!!
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    Okay this day done and a good one. Happy with what I was able to get done with these better habits.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Well, I’ve coped really well over the past week..first A.F night was NYE, worked all week...had the odd little twinge after I’d finished a late shift as that would be my favourite time for wine, as I felt I’d earned it. Today is day 7 of no alcohol.

I have slept better (lighter, but off to sleep surprisingly easily), but strangely enough have felt so tired. Maybe it’s because it’s the first week back after Christmas, or because my body is missing the sugar from wine? Anyway, not complaining as I’ve enjoyed the sleep!

Today I have been and bought a Fitbit and have joined a Facebook group for healthy eating. I have been feeling very saintly all day...

Then, I realise we have a bottle of red wine that my husband was given for Christmas. Well, it’s not cost anything, so not wasting money on wine, and I’ve done well all week without temptation..so I’ve given in.

I’ll probably be mad with myself in the morning, but one or two glasses in a week is better than double or more that a night.

I’m savouring it and giving myself a deadline to read ‘This Naked Mind’.

I had a similar thing happen last night! I realized I had a nice bottle of red I had been looking forward to and I didn't want it to go to waste so I had 2 glasses and my husband had the rest. Pretty proud of myself for stopping at that point though. Tonight will be a challenge because I'm going to a comedy club with a 2-item minimum, plus dinner before. My plan is to not drink at dinner but allow 2 drinks at the club (otherwise I'd be spending three times the amount of money on unhealthy food I don't even want).
  • DoxieMama70
    DoxieMama70 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm late getting started but I'd very much like to be a part of this challenge. I also struggle with my alcohol intake and have for years. It's a large part of my weight struggles, and I know my health is probably suffering as well. Please feel free to send me a friend request. I would love for us to encourage each other!
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Toughest night so far. I cooked salmon and it’s cozy in the house and I wanted a glass of wine. But made myself a little mocktail with half of a 60 calorie strawberry rhubarb soda (30 cals) and some la croix lime sparkling water with a squeeze of lime. It did the trick :)
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    becky3695 wrote: »
    m03qzwvs34lx.png

Day 5 is in the books as a success - a difficult success. My oldest daughter is in the Navy and home on leave. We had the first of two dinner parties last night.

She and I came in from shopping to find a 12pk in the fridge. I passed them up easily. My son in law then said “we are running out to the liquor store, need anything?” I was so proud of my reply... “NO, I’M GOOD”. Yay!!! Go me!!!!

He came back and asked me to make him a mojito. I did and passed on having one. The second was more difficult, but I passed again.

Everyone left about 11 Pm and as I was putting stuff in the dishwasher - I looked at my husband and said “a mojito would be so good right about now”. He said to have one - one would not hurt me... I almost caved in.

The silly little thing that kept me from having one was the app in the photo above.... my counting clock. I would have to reset to zero.

I grabbed a sparking ice and went to the bedroom.

I am proud of myself this morning!!!

Way to go Becky! I'm proud of you too! I think that all of us who are trying to cut back are becoming more mindful of the present moment. I love the positive self talk. I've started that, too. I know that when I wake up in the mornings now, I am soooo happy not to have a headache or nausea.
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I havnt had anything to drink since New Years! I dumped out all my half full liquor bottles. I might have some wine when my mom and brother come in to town but I’m sure I will log it into my plans. I want some moscato soo bad. I am just bad with temptation. I can’t have that or a box of cookies, or order a pizza because if it’s in my house I’ll eat/drink the whole thing! Ive been doing really well this year with logging everything and moderation and I hope to continue it. It seems the weekend is so much harder. When I have to work and go to the gym and clean I don’t have time to sit around and get hungry and eat then eat and eat.