January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    So a runner at work has started running with a 20 pound vest on. She plans to do all her training runs wearing it, and then leave it off at races.

What are y'all's thoughts on them?

I mean I kind of do this, I train with 15-20lbs of gear and might race with 4. I am unsurprisingly faster on race day

Great for hill runs going up (go slow coming down), but I wouldn't do it otherwise. Will mess up form and could cause injuries.

I do it because I run the bush and am semi-neurotic about my packing as I described months ago...September or August maybe? I got fully into my crazy anyway haha! I've been training and racing that way for about a year, can't say my form is too ridiculous until I get over that 65 mile mark and by then everyone is *kitten* ;)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    So a runner at work has started running with a 20 pound vest on. She plans to do all her training runs wearing it, and then leave it off at races.

I mean I kind of do this, I train with 15-20lbs of gear and might race with 4. I am unsurprisingly faster on race day

Great for hill runs going up (go slow coming down), but I wouldn't do it otherwise. Will mess up form and could cause injuries.

I do it because I run the bush and am semi-neurotic about my packing as I described months ago...September or August maybe? I got fully into my crazy anyway haha! I've been training and racing that way for about a year, can't say my form is too ridiculous until I get over that 65 mile mark and by then everyone is *kitten* ;)

Trail running is another story I think like your doing.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @PastorVincent Surely it depends on the type of running? If she runs trails, then it's probably no big deal, but if she does street running, then going straight to 20 lbs could be too much. I imagine it would affect running form, which could then make race day a disaster when suddenly switching to running unweighted.

Yeah, street running. She jokes about being 1/2 the person she used to be (she last lost that much) and is still loosing. Not sure what prompted the addition of the weight jacket, other than a belief it would help somehow.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @lporter229 I'm gluten free and always go way over on my carbs. I keep trying to reduce them and increase protein but I seem to get stuck around 100g of protein. My goal percents are 27C 36F 37P but I average 39C 36F (thanks to all the cheese I eat lol) 25P.

Same here, when I had to go GF my carbs shot through the roof. I need to get back to HFLC. I am making fixing that somehow part of my winter training plan. I used to be under 60 carbs a day, now I am way way too high. Problem is companies like Enjoy Life make really yummy cookies. :)

• PastorVincent
    Options

Well that is cause you need carry all your supplies with you though? Right? In a race you have support and can leave it behind. This would be a 20lb vest in addition to any supplies. Though in her case that is probably just water and gels.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Recovered from being ill and feeling out of shape. Getting back into exercise! Setting my January goal at 40 miles - ambitious, maybe too ambitious! 3 down, 37 to go!

exercise.png
    welcome. If you are new to running this is a great place to land. There are a lot of very experienced runners who will answer questions you might have. Also, don't be intimidated, this group has a hugely diverse set of runners, from folks working on C25K to Boston Qualifiers ad even a few insane ultramarathon runners. Everyone has their running journey and we're all here to help everyone else achieve their goals.

You got this!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @shanaber - perfect motivation!

I was excited for my long run today. There are no days when I can sleep in but today I could because it was too cold to bike and so no alarm! Of course, I woke up at 3am and couldn't fall back asleep. So I got up and ate something and then went back to sleep till 9:30! So great!
    I set out on my long run and the first five miles were pretty good. But then I just wasn't feeling great. I couldn't slow down - wanted to do 11 min miles and everytime I looked it would be 9:30ish which meant my HR was too high. So I would walk to bring it down and repeat the process. Then mile 7 and 8 the bottom of my feet starting hurting. I was wearing my relatively new Brooks Ghost 10s. So those won't be what I wear in the half marathon next month. I'm not sure what I'll be wearing yet!

My daughter is running the Big Sir marathon in April (I think it's then) and she told me she just paid $60 to do some Run Bet thing. If you do all the runs they have listed you split the pot with everyone else that did it. I didn't advise her to sign up (or not sign up) when she asked me about it. But I just know how life gets in the way and it seems like it might make you run on an injury. :neutral: Anyway, will be curious to see 1) if she does all the runs and 2) how much she gets! I just looked it up: https://waybetter.com/runbet

I've been really bad about keeping up in this "busiest thread on MFP" so not sure if it has been mentioned before.

1/1 - 4.5 miles #RWRunStreak Day 40!!! I’m done!
    1/2 - REST day!
    1/3 - Strength training - glutes/arms
    1/4 - 5 miles
    1/5 - strength training - glutes/arms W4C
    1/6 - 8 miles

exercise.png

I have some friends who ran the Big Sur marathon last year and the pictures along the course were absolutely gorgeous! If I ever run another full I would strongly consider that one.

Sorry your shoes didn’t work out today. I love my Brooks Ghosts 10!

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    I have some friends who ran the Big Sur marathon last year and the pictures along the course were absolutely gorgeous! If I ever run another full I would strongly consider that one.

Sorry your shoes didn’t work out today. I love my Brooks Ghosts 10!

[/quote]

She got in through the lottery and was shocked she made it! I am not going to watch her like I did for NYC marathon because of the timing. I am just getting back from a trip to London a couple weeks prior and she also said that there are no spectators along most of the course.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I hit the treadmill again today (third time this week) for 5 miles. It’s supposed to get above freezing tomorrow so I’m looking forward to an outside run. We’ve lived in our house for almost 20 years and the water has never froze - until last night. We live in a rural area and have well water. Thankfully it thawed late this evening.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    January 2018 runs:

01 Jan – 5 km parkrun 28:08
    02 Jan – 21.2 km half marathon 2:12:33
    04 Jan – 6.7 km
    06 Jan – 5 km parkrun 29:09 so freaking warm!!
    07 Jan – 18 km

Jan goal: 170 km
    Jan total: 55.9 km

144 metre elevation gain run but easy pace 18 km run for 2 hours this morning. A cool change meant it was a nice 12 degrees Celsius and even had some spots of rain.

Was feeling great and wanted to keep going but I stuck to my plan. Feeling satisfied. :smile:

I eat 55% carbs, 30% fat, 15% protein. I eat whatever I want within my calorie limit. I lost 35 kg that way, and I've maintained my goal weight 20 months that way. I didn't have to overhaul my diet to lose weight, and I didn't gain back all my lost weight when I went off any diet. A good diet is one that is sustainable and doesn't impede performance.
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Put in another couple miles on the dreadmill tonight. Officially caught up to monthly goal-pace now and looking to edge ahead tomorrow.

MTD: 9.05/45
    1/2 - 3.0
    1/3 - 1.25
    1/5 - 1.3
    1/6 - 1.5 + 2.0

Goals for 2018:
    - Run 500 miles
    - Run a nonstop (no walking) 5K
    - Run/walk my first 10K
    - Run 3+ trail races
    - Run in 3+ states

Races to Consider:
    1/27 - Mississippi Blues Marathon 5K (Registered)
    2/18 - Q50 Trails Extravaganza 5M (Registered)
    3/17 - Hammond Shamrock Run 5K (First race I ever ran, in 2017)
    3/18 - Shamrockin Run 8K in NOLA
    4/20 - Star Wars Dark Side 5K in WDW (Registered)
    5/12 - Q50 Cinco de Mayo Trail Race 5K (First trail race I ever ran, in 2017)
    6/21 - Summer Solstice 6.21M

• PastorVincent
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I eat 55% carbs, 30% fat, 15% protein. I eat whatever I want within my calorie limit. I lost 35 kg that way, and I've maintained my goal weight 20 months that way. I didn't have to overhaul my diet to lose weight, and I didn't gain back all my lost weight when I went off any diet. A good diet is one that is sustainable and doesn't impede performance.

That is great that works for you! Everyone is different and which diet is right is highly dependent on the person doing the actual eating. 55% carbs would likely put me back on diabetes meds. No thanks. :) As I said, everyone is different. Go with what you know works for you, and some of us will do something different that works for us. :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless there are a bunch of races organised near me with the description of ‘number of miles-ish’ and ‘flat-ish’. Neither are precise descriptions. The ‘flat’ routes usually involve a fair amount of swearing and cussing at the race director and anyone else. But to be honest, we love it.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn would be interested in most of the learning curves to ultra. So, food while running, food while not running (I love food), kit, technique etc.

But, can you please link to your blog each time you post? I don’t have any way of saving blog links so it would help me (I’m lazy). Also, do you Instagram? I’m just getting into that.....
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    January 2018 runs:

01 Jan – 5 km parkrun 28:08
    02 Jan – 21.2 km half marathon 2:12:33
    04 Jan – 6.7 km
    06 Jan – 5 km parkrun 29:09 so freaking warm!!
    07 Jan – 18 km

Jan goal: 170 km
    Jan total: 55.9 km

144 metre elevation gain run but easy pace 18 km run for 2 hours this morning. A cool change meant it was a nice 12 degrees Celsius and even had some spots of rain.

Was feeling great and wanted to keep going but I stuck to my plan. Feeling satisfied. :smile:

One problem there. Low carb is very popular among top ultra runners. I kind of doubt they would do it if it impeded their performance. Also there's this: http://www.metabolismjournal.com/article/S0026-0495(15)00334-0/abstract
    My coach was actually in the study and switched to LCHF because of it. He was in thr high carb group for the study.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn would be interested in most of the learning curves to ultra. So, food while running, food while not running (I love food), kit, technique etc.

But, can you please link to your blog each time you post? I don’t have any way of saving blog links so it would help me (I’m lazy). Also, do you Instagram? I’m just getting into that.....

That I can do. I'll be writing a post on "why ultra?" Over the next couple days.