blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    January 2018 runs:

01 Jan – 5 km parkrun 28:08
    02 Jan – 21.2 km half marathon 2:12:33
    04 Jan – 6.7 km
    06 Jan – 5 km parkrun 29:09 so freaking warm!!
    07 Jan – 18 km

Jan goal: 170 km
    Jan total: 55.9 km

144 metre elevation gain run but easy pace 18 km run for 2 hours this morning. A cool change meant it was a nice 12 degrees Celsius and even had some spots of rain.

Was feeling great and wanted to keep going but I stuck to my plan. Feeling satisfied. :smile:

I eat 55% carbs, 30% fat, 15% protein. I eat whatever I want within my calorie limit. I lost 35 kg that way, and I've maintained my goal weight 20 months that way. I didn't have to overhaul my diet to lose weight, and I didn't gain back all my lost weight when I went off any diet. A good diet is one that is sustainable and doesn't impede performance.

One problem there. Low carb is very popular among top ultra runners. I kind of doubt they would do it if it impeded their performance. Also there's this: http://www.metabolismjournal.com/article/S0026-0495(15)00334-0/abstract
    My coach was actually in the study and switched to LCHF because of it. He was in thr high carb group for the study.

see eatingacademy.com and his story how going LC increased his performance.

http://eatingacademy.com/how-a-low-carb-diet-affected-my-athletic-performance

I don't believe that he is strictly low carb now.

He also used UCAN superstarch and a keto diet to be fat adapted while still having some carbs that didn't spike insulin and shut off fat metabolism.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    @katharmonic -- hey, just wanted to shout out with an update with my experience using the RunGo app. I have used it to "record" routes and saved them to run again at a later date with the voice directions. In the more open space of my suburb it does pretty well... when I run downtown in the city where GPS is not always the best, it registered several "turns" during my straightaways. I also created some routes using their create tool on the website and that worked better, but either it missed a turn or I didn't hear it as I was concentrating on traffic, etc., but near the end of my run it said I was off-course. I did the same this morning in the suburb and it worked perfectly. It will give you about 100m notice of a turn and actually uses street names, etc. so is definitely something I will use when I'm in an unfamiliar area or if I want to map a run out beforehand to have a better chance of hitting the planned mileage and not be a mile away from where I meant to finish.

Great, @rusgolden. Doesn't surprise me that GPS would be problematic in city areas with a lot of big buildings. I've had problems with my Garmin that way too. But sounds like a reasonably good tool for running somewhere unfamiliar. I will try it out next time I travel.

No run for me today. I did not leave the house at all. It's been snowing for about 62 hours straight here and was bitterly cold and windy today, and I took that as a sign to stay in. I was so glad I did my long run yesterday. Plus my legs are really sore from the combo of the hot yoga, long run, and hiking through deep snow over those couple of days. I did some yoga for sore legs and stretching, which felt really good.

Snow is supposed to be ending here shortly and tomorrow's temps are supposed to be much improved by the afternoon, thankfully. Might have to get the snowshoes out again!
  • power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    January 1 - 7 km run / strength training
    January 2 - rest day
    January 3 - 18 km run / 10 km stairmarster
    January 4 - 10 km run
    January 5 - 16 km run / strength training
    January 6 - 16 km run
    January 7 - 5 km club run / stairmarster

72 km - goal 350 km.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @Orphia I don't think anyone was talking about ketogenic weight loss protocols- me and @MNLittleFinn have been maintaining I think about as long as you have??? I feel like we all kind of hit that in a sameish time frame? So that wasn't a big consideration. We were talking about diets for performance (I personally don't feel my performance is that terrible going on 2 years in, others may differ on that one I guess).

Ultra running specifically is moving away from carb theory more and more all the time and there is a reason for that shift. Distances marathon and below may never catch up to adopting lower carb racing, at least partially because of industry dollars fronting a lot of the costs of running races, etc. It doesn't make good fiscal sense to kick carbs out of the high volume races when they are paying for them.

It definitely isn't for everyone as compliance is as important as anything. IIFYM, eat whatever you want would see me fat again real fast and running erratic times (I have data to back that last from when I took a brief foray into CKD- the.worst.ever.) whereas other people do well that way. We all do what we gotta do to get by :)
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    01.01.18 - 10 m. TM @ 8:30.
    01.02.18 - 9 m. TM @ 9:15.
    01.04.18 - 8 m. TM @ 9:22 / Bike Trainer for 60 minutes.
    01.05.18 - 8.1 m. TM @ 9:10.
    01.06.18 - 9 m. TM @ 8:40 / Bike Trainer for 60 minutes.

January Goal - 220 total running miles. Begin IM 70.3 Bike Training program.

Tentative Race Calendar:
    1.27 or 1.28 - Scheduling.
    3.4.18 - Little Rock Marathon
    4.7.18 - Yakima River Canyon Marathon
    5.6.18 - Flying Pig Marathon
    5.20.18 - IronMan 70.3 Chattanooga
    7.14.18 - IronMan 70.3 Muncie

MM - 7877
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @Orphia I don't think anyone was talking about ketogenic weight loss protocols- me and @MNLittleFinn have been maintaining I think about as long as you have??? I feel like we all kind of hit that in a sameish time frame? So that wasn't a big consideration. We were talking about diets for performance (I personally don't feel my performance is that terrible going on 2 years in, others may differ on that one I guess).

Ultra running specifically is moving away from carb theory more and more all the time and there is a reason for that shift. Distances marathon and below may never catch up to adopting lower carb racing, at least partially because of industry dollars fronting a lot of the costs of running races, etc. It doesn't make good fiscal sense to kick carbs out of the high volume races when they are paying for them.

It definitely isn't for everyone as compliance is as important as anything. IIFYM, eat whatever you want would see me fat again real fast and running erratic times (I have data to back that last from when I took a brief foray into CKD- the.worst.ever.) whereas other people do well that way. We all do what we gotta do to get by :)

Your performances are great, as are the LHCF ultra outliers'.

But we don't have clones of you doing the same training as each other with one on "high" carbs to compare with. :smile: That would be an interesting experiment!

The links I posted show meta-analysis of the research, not just one study.

Yes, ultra-runners need to be able to use fat stores, but not consuming carbs in the process to supplement that impedes performance.

I'm glad you find it helps you stay at your goal weight, though.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    I hit the treadmill again today (third time this week) for 5 miles. It’s supposed to get above freezing tomorrow so I’m looking forward to an outside run. We’ve lived in our house for almost 20 years and the water has never froze - until last night. We live in a rural area and have well water. Thankfully it thawed late this evening.
    Ugh, glad your well thawed. My mom has been carrying buckets of water from the house to the barn for the horses because the wellhead at the barn froze. I'm glad she's able but it seems like a lot of work for an 80 year old woman, toting buckets a quarter mile!

We had a small herd of cattle affected but luckily they had enough to get them through the day. It’s great that your mom is able to do what she does. My grandfather always said he would rather work out than rust out
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    So my short run got cut off by me rolling my ankle on mile 2. So I’m goona make my total 2 since I’m now walking/limping back home. Lol
    exercise.png

Yuck! Sorry that happened to you. :(
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Slack a bit & already 33 pages deep in posts! (not even looking back over the December ones I missed, soooo last year!)

Since I missed a few weeks, I'm going to roll back the CT10K a few weeks as well; I was coming up on the longer, continuous runs which I don't feel I'm ready for yet, plus, I'm not on anyone's time schedule! So, I think for January, as I've already missed a week (migraines are a loverly thing!), I'm going to take a more conservative 23 miles.

Yearly: Not setting majorly huge goals, but I did set one last year that I didn't make, so I'm resetting it: run 200 miles for the year. Also, I do need to get my food/eating under some type of routine/control. I've been too lax with my food choices and it's gotten me back up in weight. I know this. So I need to just gain perspective, figure out what works & feels right, then stick to it!

Lacing up tomorrow morning!
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    So my short run got cut off by me rolling my ankle on mile 2. So I’m goona make my total 2 since I’m now walking/limping back home. Lol
    exercise.png

Yuck! Sorry that happened to you. :(

Thanks. Tho I’m sure if I had just taken the time to find both my ankle wraps I wouldn’t have done that. I was definitely able to see the difference and progress Ive made since I started really getting into running. Hopefully if I can stay off of it the rest of the day I’ll be good to go for tomorrow.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    January goal: Keep kicking at Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 140? I really don't know. Real plan is to follow training and coach's advice well.

1/1- REST
    1/2- 8.1
    1/3- 6.4
    1/4- REST
    1/5- 4.8
    1/6- 8.1
    1/7- 5.4

Total: 32.8

Today's notes: Tired legs meant my 1:15:00 run was on pretty flat trail for the most part. Actually looking forward to tomorrow's rest day, get a chance to recover!

Have a Runderful day!

2018 races and possibilities
    3/28- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    7/28- Minnesota Voyageur 50 (coach brought up this one)
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile (Lottery)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    My garmin FR35 is not syncing this morning. I just got it at Christmas and this is the first time I haven't been able to get into such. Is anyone else having garmin issues? I am gettingvready to go for my long run and now I am worried I will lose my data.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart The run should still be on your watch, and so will any future runs (until it starts running out of space, at which point the older runs are purged I think). If you're talking about syncing with your phone, yeah that happened to me too with the FR235 (haven't seen it yet with the 935). Sometimes, it takes a restart of the phone, the watch, or both to get them talking to each other again. And as a final resort, connect the watch to the computer...I think it uploads automatically at that point too.