dairy or soy milk

Options
1235»

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what peoples thoughts are on which to drink, I'm pre diabetic, I switched from 1% dairy milk to original soy milk, because it's lower in sugar. I'd rather drink dairy, it's cheaper and I like it better, but I'll stick with which ever is better for me.

When I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, milk never came into the discussion. I was told to exercise more, and that I should be okay after losing about 10 lbs. Sure enough, the next time I was tested, my numbers showed a big improvement to "no diabetes" levels.

So my thoughts are - Don't change your milk.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I'm curious what peoples thoughts are on which to drink, I'm pre diabetic, I switched from 1% dairy milk to original soy milk, because it's lower in sugar. I'd rather drink dairy, it's cheaper and I like it better, but I'll stick with which ever is better for me.

When I drink milk, I drink whole cow milk. I very rarely drink milk though. I prefer to save my calories for food as it is more satisfying to me. I use milk more in cooking than as a beverage.

Why are you drinking milk? Because you like the taste or for protein or calcium?
    https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2014/08/milk-substitutes-should-you-sip-or-skip/index.htm
    If your concern is sugar then I guess look at how it fits your whole day, reduce the amount of milk you consume or switch to something else.

I drink "milk" every morning with breakfast, I have my entire life, I'm 48, it's not something I would ever think of stopping. I take a few pills and I don't like taking them with water, and I really don't like orange juice or many other types of juice.
    I won't stop drinking "milk" unless my Dr tells me I have to stop. I only drink 1 glass of milk every morning, but I do have about 2-4 servings of dairy most days.
    I would love to drink whole milk or 2%, but I can't quite justify the added fat, when I like the 1% just fine.

Keep drinking that one glass of 1% milk then.
    How much milk can you drink if you have diabetes?
    There is no clear-cut answer for this question since no two individuals with diabetes or insulin resistance will react similarly. The best way for you to find out how much milk you can safely consume is to test your blood glucose levels before you drink milk and 30 minutes afterwards. Keep in mind that insulin sensitivity varies throughout the day – in other words, if you like to drink milk in the morning and at night, make sure to test your blood glucose levels each time.
    From https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/can-i-drink-milk-if-i-have-diabetes/
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 514 Member
    Options

When I drink milk, I drink whole cow milk. I very rarely drink milk though. I prefer to save my calories for food as it is more satisfying to me. I use milk more in cooking than as a beverage.

Why are you drinking milk? Because you like the taste or for protein or calcium?
    https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2014/08/milk-substitutes-should-you-sip-or-skip/index.htm
    If your concern is sugar then I guess look at how it fits your whole day, reduce the amount of milk you consume or switch to something else.

I drink "milk" every morning with breakfast, I have my entire life, I'm 48, it's not something I would ever think of stopping. I take a few pills and I don't like taking them with water, and I really don't like orange juice or many other types of juice.
    I won't stop drinking "milk" unless my Dr tells me I have to stop. I only drink 1 glass of milk every morning, but I do have about 2-4 servings of dairy most days.
    I would love to drink whole milk or 2%, but I can't quite justify the added fat, when I like the 1% just fine.

Keep drinking that one glass of 1% milk then.
    How much milk can you drink if you have diabetes?
    There is no clear-cut answer for this question since no two individuals with diabetes or insulin resistance will react similarly. The best way for you to find out how much milk you can safely consume is to test your blood glucose levels before you drink milk and 30 minutes afterwards. Keep in mind that insulin sensitivity varies throughout the day – in other words, if you like to drink milk in the morning and at night, make sure to test your blood glucose levels each time.
    From https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/can-i-drink-milk-if-i-have-diabetes/

ooo, I love this article, it tells to eat full fat dairy milk.....
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

When I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, milk never came into the discussion. I was told to exercise more, and that I should be okay after losing about 10 lbs. Sure enough, the next time I was tested, my numbers showed a big improvement to "no diabetes" levels.

So my thoughts are - Don't change your milk.

I've lost 20# since my last test, I've very curious what my levels are now.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I only buy soymilk to use in my protein shakes. I can drink milk but I choose to use soymilk for my protein shakes because of its lower fat/cal levels and equal protein content.

It's also cheaper and more convenient for me to buy soymilk by the case at Costco, because it does not need to be refrigerated (until opened) and limits trips to the grocery store to buy fresh milk.

On the other hand, I still buy and eat a lot of yogurt and cheese (w/moderation). I will also buy milk and cream if a specific recipe calls for it.

So my reason for choosing soymilk over dairy milk is simply practical.
  • CMS_3049
    CMS_3049 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like and drink both. Dairy 1% and Silk Vanilla Soy milk. I sometimes just prefer one taste over the other.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    I never understand people being possessive over the word milk. No ones confused about soy milk and what it is. It’s like being upset that coconut meat is called meat. Just let people have their things.

Yes i did admit it was pedantic

Nobody was upset though - i just like accurate labelling.

If it causes confusion as is, I'd agree, but it doesn't as far as I can tell. I think <food> milk is understood to everyone to be <food> milk substitute, but i'm not particularly offended if they add the word substitute either, i suppose.

Do you feel the same about peanut butter, out of curiosity, since it's not butter, and has no butter in it.

havent really thought about it as i dont eat it and it is often called peanut paste here in Australia anyway

• OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    GoldenEye_ wrote: »
    Thanks. I personally only use the woo button for broscience or simply very rude posts. Everyone is different and everyone has different preferences, so 'woo'-ing everyone with a different opinion seems a bit off to me and in this case it made me wonder. Thanks again for the clarification so far.
    An anonymous woo button reveals junior high school maturity. Don't let 'em get you down. It's still just the internet, after all.
  • lorri71
    lorri71 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking soya milk for 22 years because I am allergic to animal milk and cannot remember what cows milk tastes like. Some of the soya can be quite sweet so it makes sense to check how much sugar is in them if you are diabetic or pre diabetic. Follow your doctors advice if in doubt.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I use almond or cashew milk for things that don't compromise the recipe for using non-dairy. Otherwise, I'll use the product recommended in most recipes, or close too. If something calls for half and half, sometimes I'll use whole milk because that's what I buy in gallon-size at the store for other people in the house who use it. Putting almond milk on my cereal tastes/feels no different than dairy milk and is way fewer calories.
  • zev6
    zev6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Not keen myself. I do enjoy hazelnut milk which I use on cereals and in coffee. Its lower than dairy but not sure where is stands as far as diabetes goes...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    GoldenEye_ wrote: »
    Thanks. I personally only use the woo button for broscience or simply very rude posts. Everyone is different and everyone has different preferences, so 'woo'-ing everyone with a different opinion seems a bit off to me and in this case it made me wonder. Thanks again for the clarification so far.
    An anonymous woo button reveals junior high school maturity. Don't let 'em get you down. It's still just the internet, after all.

The anonymous thing is annoying. I would much prefer peoples usernames pop up like on FB, when they click on them.