January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes I haven't even looked at my broken washer yet. I did running clothes at a friend's house on Sunday.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    You know what is annoying... ever since I lost that 50 pounds... I am less cold tolerant. Maybe I should get it back.

My office is not a happy temperature right now.
  • sarahthes
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I have definitely been considering popping by my neighbour's house to do laundry but with 2 small kids there's just so much to wash...
  • sarahthes
    Options
    I didn't wait long enough for the thermometer to stabilize... Currently at 62.1F and still slowly dropping. No wonder my hands are like ice! Clearly my office window is poorly insulated.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom I have definitely been considering popping by my neighbour's house to do laundry but with 2 small kids there's just so much to wash...

@sarahthes one if my friends has 3 kids and a washer that hates her. I think she'd done more laundry at my house than I have
  • LaurenFOB2301
    LaurenFOB2301 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    1/1 - Rest
    1/2 - 2 miles
    1/3 - Boxing
    1/4 - 2.5 miles
    1/6 - 2.4 miles
    1/7 - 2 miles + 30-minute boxing session
    1/8 - 5 miles
    1/9 - Rest
    1/10 - 3.1 miles
    1/11 - 2 miles

19 miles / 50-mile goal

Quick update. I had a really rough day mentally Wednesday. Temperatures were a little warmer, so I decided to run around my neighborhood with goal of running 5 miles (this is still a lot for me). Instead, I ran a little over 3 miles and came home. Temps were in the high 30s with an unexpected constant cold drizzle. I think I overdressed. I had my Columbia Titanium rain jacket as my top layer -- and that sucker is super insulated and heavy (at least for running)! Lesson learned. I don't have other rain jackets, so that's what I had to go with. I need to find a lighter rain jacket for days like that one.

It's frustrating -- I was happy, mentally prepared and motivated during Wednesday's run but I think my legs were still exhausted from the 5 miles I ran Monday. After I came home, I felt discouraged.

My first 5k race in over 2 years is next weekend -- and I think the nerves are getting to me. I set this arbitrary goal of beating 33 minutes because I had been averaging 10:30-11 minute miles over the last couple of weeks. Not sure I'll hit that goal this time. I've only beat that time once before (~32:46) but it was tough and on a treadmill in a controlled climate -- not outside in this weather. lol.
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I’ve never dealt with a broken washer but my dryer outlet was out for the longest time and it was a small slice of heaven. I hated spending the money which really wasn’t much but I enjoyed that hour of peace and quiet. Plus I actually able to fold the clothes while they were still warm which makes it so much easier.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @Link2Life ! It looks like you're off to a great start. (Side note: Your horse is beautiful! I ride also, and own a BLM mustang and a QH)

I got in 2.5 miles on the treadmill before step class this morning. Set it for the Rolling Hills program, level 1. Avg pace was 9:48/mile (24:33 total time). It was pretty tough, though. I think my legs are tired after 4 runs, 2 step classes, and 1 strength class over the last 4 days. Tomorrow might need to be a rest day--we'll see how I feel.

1/02/18 - 1.75 miles + Step class
    1/04/18 - 3.50 miles + Step class
    1/05/18 - 5.75 miles
    1/08/18 - 2.00 miles + Power Pump class
    1/09/18 - 2.50 miles + Step class
    1/10/18 - 6.00 miles
    1/11/18 - 2.50 miles + Step class

Total: 24 miles / 60 mile goal
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    1/1 - Rest
    1/2 - 2 miles
    1/3 - Boxing
    1/4 - 2.5 miles
    1/6 - 2.4 miles
    1/8 - 5 miles
    1/9 - Rest
    1/10 - 3.1 miles
    1/11 - 2 miles

19 miles / 50-mile goal

Quick update. I had a really rough day mentally Wednesday. Temperatures were a little warmer, so I decided to run around my neighborhood with goal of running 5 miles (this is still a lot for me). Instead, I ran a little over 3 miles and came home. Temps were in the high 30s with an unexpected constant cold drizzle. I think I overdressed. I had my Columbia Titanium rain jacket as my top layer -- and that sucker is super insulated and heavy (at least for running)! Lesson learned. I don't have other rain jackets, so that's what I had to go with. I need to find a lighter rain jacket for days like that one.

It's frustrating -- I was happy, mentally prepared and motivated during Wednesday's run but I think my legs were still exhausted from the 5 miles I ran Monday. After I came home, I felt discouraged.

My first 5k race in over 2 years is next weekend -- and I think the nerves are getting to me. I set this arbitrary goal of beating 33 minutes because I had been averaging 10:30-11 minute miles over the last couple of weeks. Not sure I'll hit that goal this time. I've only beat that time once before (~32:46) but it was tough and on a treadmill in a controlled climate -- not outside in this weather. lol.

Don't beat yourself up too much. We all have good and bad days. Some of those days we can't control because of various factors (weather, work, life, home, whatever, etc). Re the race, in my view - don't worry about the time - just focus on doing the best you can. Note- You have been training, so you know you can do the distance and we don't know if it will be a sub-zero weather day, poor road conditions, lack of sleep, etc...So to some degree we can't control the good/bad element. All that said, if you go out and do everything you can to push through the mental/physical barriers as best you can that day (i.e. run as comfortably hard as you can the entire time and faster if feasible at the end) the time will take care of itself. The race will be still rewarding for many reasons besides the time result and since you have other races later in the year, you can continue to train and face those challenges one day at a time.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    1/1 - Rest
    1/2 - 2 miles
    1/3 - Boxing
    1/4 - 2.5 miles
    1/6 - 2.4 miles
    1/8 - 5 miles
    1/9 - Rest
    1/10 - 3.1 miles
    1/11 - 2 miles

19 miles / 50-mile goal

Sorry you had a bad run, it happens to all of us, but it does stink. :(

As for your time... I personally find running outside easier than the dreadmill, so if my PR was on a dreadmill, I am sure I would beat it my first outside race. Maybe the same will be true for you? :)
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    one other point. You likely were running alone and at least for me I find that to be challenging at times. You can mentally talk yourself into things on good days...and bad days, we can get easily discouraged, etc. I do find that when you running with others (group run, running partner, or race) you can leverage the energy of other people to be better. Once the race is going, there are all kinds of things you can do to help you in your race. i.e. you typically find yourself next to others and use them as your pacers...or if ambitious, start targeting people to catch up to that are slightly ahead, etc.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    1/1 5.9miles
    1/2 5miles
    1/3 13.1miles!
    1/4 5miles
    1/5 8.4miles
    1/6 4miles
    1/7 rest
    1/8 6.67miles
    1/9 5miles
    1/10 6miles
    1/11 13.1miles!

Headed out again today in the snow, ice, and slush. It wasn’t as bad as yesterday, but there were several tricky miles. I was able to keep my feet mostly dry until I hit 9 miles then they just kept getting soaked! Probably because the temperature kept rising.

I must say, running in this stuff for 2 days... my legs are sore! I haven’t felt fatigue in my legs like this in a long time.

• 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty I can relate. Only slept about 3 h last night thanks to my coughing but got a prescription today so that hopefully I can sleep better tonight (took a nap this afternoon). Contemplated not running but the weather was warm and snow/ice free today so I thought I better take advantage of it. Ran 4 mi slowly and walked the big hill in the middle because I was dragging, but it is done and tomorrow (they are calling for ice and snow here) I can take a rest day. Long runs this weekend are looking v. cold assuming I am feeling better--I need to get in some night or early morning trail running to practice for the HM next weekend.

Jan 1 Travel day
    Jan 2 Ran 4 mi + strength and stretching
    Jan 3 Ran 3.4 mi + strength and stretching
    Jan 4 Fail
    Jan 5 Walked 18000 steps at Universal Studios
    Jan 6 Fail because flight was delayed
    Jan 7 Ran 8.0 mi trail and snow + strength and stretching
    Jan 8 Ran 12.4 mi in slush + strength and stretching
    Jan 9 Water walking + strength
    Jan 10 Ran 6.2 mi + strength + stretching
    Jan 11 Ran 4.0 mi + stretching

Jan goal: 120 mi
    Done: 38 mi
    To go: 82 mi

Upcoming races:
    Winter Night Trail Half Marathon Jan 20

2018 Plan:
    Spring Fling 10K Feb 3
    Bound the Mound Half Marathon Feb 24
    OP 50/50 50K Mar 24
    DINO Eagle Creek 15K Apr 7
    April 28 Glacial Esker 20 mi Apr 28
    DINO Muscatuck 15K May 5
    DWD Gnawbone Marathon May 19
    DINO Brown County 15K Jun 2
    8 h @ Brown County Jun 16-17
    DINO Griffin Park 15K Jun 23
    DINO Potato Creek 7K July 14
    Longmont Half Marathon July 21
    Beas Knees Citizen Run 5-6 mi July 28
    Eagle Creek Trail Marathon Aug 4
    Half Moon Half Aug 18
    Tour de LaPorte Aug 24
    ITR 50/100 50 mi Oct 13
    Tecumseh Trail Half Marathon Oct 27
    Angry Turkey XC 5K Nov 17
    HRH YMCA Gobble Gallop 5K Nov 22
    Jackson 50/50 50 K Dec 1
    Dirty Santa XC 5K Dec TBA
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

Obviously, I can not speak for your neighbor, but if you were my neighbor, I would rather you come over and do the wash than suffer. Your neighbor might feel the same. Many people like helping people, and you steal their chance for joy when you do not let them.

Just a thought. :smiley:

My husband says this all the time. I’m very reluctant to ask for help, but it seems when I do people are so happy to be helpful.
  • Southpaw1958
    Southpaw1958 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Shooting for 75 miles in January.

Miles to date: 25 miles
    Today's Run - 4 miles

January Total - 29 miles.