01/07/18 - REST
    01/08/18 - 3 miles

MTD: 20 miles
    JAN GOAL: 80 miles

YTD: 20 miles
    2018 GOAL: 1000 miles

Upcoming (and hopeful) Races:
    02/10/18 - Mardi Crawl 10k
    04/14/18 - Rattler Mad Moose 10k (Trail)
    06/02/18 - Gluten free Gallop 5k (hubby and daughter have Celiac so this one's personal)
    06/23/18 - Slacker Half Marathon
    07/xx/18 - Something on a trail TBD
    09/23/18 - Xterra Mountain 8k (Trail)
    10/28/18 - Kooky Spooky 10k
    11/xx/18 - A Turkey Trot 5k of some sort TBD

Question for early morning runners: Do you eat anything before your runs? Mine are so early (and pretty short, actually between 3-5 miles), I don't bother, but I wonder if I would "run better" if I had a little fuel before? I noticed that when I run an hour or so after having a meal, my pace tends to be quicker than my jump-out-of-bed-and-run runs. I'm not all that worried about--just wondering what others do mostly.

I'm a diabetic - testing my blood glucose I've found that I function best when I have a piece of fruit before running 3 - 5 miles. Oranges are God's gels.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

Temps yesterday were about 23 degrees with wind chill feel temps between 9-15 when i was running.

most of the world would find that perfect running temperature.... >:)

Honestly, no. :) I would say that in the 50's with low humidity is about the "perfect" weather for running. Pretty sure that is backed up by plenty of studies too. I think that was the target of the recent sub-2 hour marathon attempt?

note 'most of the world'......... ;)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @LaurenFOB2301 - I also wear a base layer, preferably merino wool tights, when the temps are below 20. I have several pairs of heavy tights that I wear by themselves when they are in the 20s or low 30s. You definitely need to be careful when the temps are in the teens and below, especially if it's windy, because the quads are particularly susceptible to frostbite.

@fitoverfortymom - I don't usually eat anything before my morning runs unless I am going further than 10 miles. I am also slower on my jump-out-of-bed-and-run runs, but I think it has more to do with the fact that my body hasn't had the benefit of "stretching out" yet.

@PastorVincent- Holy smokes! Is that elevation number on the Strava leader board correct?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Temps yesterday were about 23 degrees with wind chill feel temps between 9-15 when i was running.

Honestly, no. :) I would say that in the 50's with low humidity is about the "perfect" weather for running. Pretty sure that is backed up by plenty of studies too. I think that was the target of the recent sub-2 hour marathon attempt?

note: I am saying most of the world would not agree with you :D;) But if that is perfect for you, then awesome, go rock the winter :) Everyone has there preferences :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Question for early morning runners: Do you eat anything before your runs? Mine are so early (and pretty short, actually between 3-5 miles), I don't bother, but I wonder if I would "run better" if I had a little fuel before? I noticed that when I run an hour or so after having a meal, my pace tends to be quicker than my jump-out-of-bed-and-run runs. I'm not all that worried about--just wondering what others do mostly.

This is one of those things that varies from person to person. Some people can down a thick milkshake and go run 10 miles, while others would puke. I highly suggest you experiment and see what works best for you. You may find that some foods (easier to digest ones) work better before a run than others (like dairy). But each person is a bit different here.
  • LaurenFOB2301
    LaurenFOB2301 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @LaurenFOB2301 - I also wear a base layer, preferably merino wool tights, when the temps are below 20. I have several pairs of heavy tights that I wear by themselves when they are in the 20s or low 30s. You definitely need to be careful when the temps are in the teens and below, especially if it's windy, because the quads are particularly susceptible to frostbite.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely be more prepared next time. I am a little relieved, too, knowing I wasn't properly dressed below the waist for yesterday's temps on the lakefront. I was super hard on myself when I stopped running at mile 2 because my legs were numb, lol. Now I know! :D
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Rest day
    @fitoverfortymom
    Last year I would eat half a protein bar before runing first thing in the morning. I don't seem to need to do this anymore but it did help.
  • bossymom15
    bossymom15 Posts: 130 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

January goal - 35 miles

1/3 - 1.5 miles - put on my new fleece lined pants a couple of shirts, jacket, new buff & gloves and hit the street. It was 25 degrees. Not too bad, think i'll try it again tonight.
    1/6 - 6.5 only 25 degrees, but great run. I can't believe how much more I like running in the cold than the heat.
    1/7 - 2.5 warmer, 50 degrees, but a cool wind and I didn't bundle up enough for the first part.

total so far - 10.5

Bossymom15
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I finally remembered to photograph my duct-taped shoes. This is what it looks like when I'm done. I don't bother taping the heels since no wind gets through there anyway.

Does the tap come off easy without wrecking the shoes, or leaving residue behind?
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 Thank you! I wasn't too concerned, but I'm always curious what others do. I've noticed I'm super hungry after my runs, so I'm trying to be consistent with some protein after, but since I'm also still in a deficit to lose 10lbs, I'm pretty picky about how I spend my calories.

@rheddmobile Ooohhh. Oranges! I love them, and can get them in abundance. I'd probably actually get clementines, but that might be just the simple carb fix (with a fiber bonus) that I could pull off quickly.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    January 1 – 5 miles
    January 3 – 5 miles
    January 6 – 5 miles
    January 7 – 8.23 miles
    January 8 – 4.79 miles

This morning’s track workout was 4 x 1200s. It was a nice 27 degrees so no weather issues. The possibility of freezing rain was in the forecast but it’s been pushed out to start at noon today. Hopefully, the temps will be higher by then and it will just be rain.

@LaurenFOB2301 – Like Skippy’s mom, when the temperature is below 25, I usually wear two layers. Usually a pair of tights and a pair of wind pants.

Upcoming Races:
    February 3 – Strawberry Plains Half Marathon
    February 24-25 – Gasparilla Amber Challenge (15K & 5K on Saturday; Half Marathon on Sunday)
    May 6 – Pittsburgh Half Marathon

When you say below 25, do you mean 25 degrees below zero? Or 25 degrees? Thanks! I ask because it's been THAT cold lately here.

Good to know I may not have been appropriately dressed below the waist. It stressed me out a bit and I cut my run short. I'll try 2 pairs of tights.

Oh goodness no - there aren't enough layers in the world to get me out there for 25 below zero! I meant 25F! :D

I'll run into something single digits but 25 below zero F no thanks. I do find under 10F my legs are bright red and itch after I stop running with 2 pair of tights so I might throw on pantyhose.

@fitoverfortymom I do my morning runs fasted. I run at 5:30 so no time to eat. On weekends I might have a protein bar or toast before heading out.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Running on a half hour of sleep sucks- shout out to our youngest girl :#

@PastorVincent I dunno man, I think I'm with @girlinahat on this one. We know that you lose time the hotter it gets above a certain point but is there any data to prove the same is true for sub zero running (independent of environmental factors obviously)???

@juliet3455 love the video- I aspire to be an old trail lady one day <3 . Still being an ultra runner at that point would be the best!

January 1- 18
    January 2- 20
    January 3- 19
    January 4- Ran but I'm not counting it because slow
    January 5- Off
    January 6- 62
    January 7- 21
    January 8- 18

158/550

158/6000

2018 Races
    *Gord's Frozen A** 50K, February 19
    *JAJA Trail Marathon, April 1
    *Red Deer Marathon, May 20
    *Lone Wolf Last Man Standing Race, June 17
    *Eddie's Half Marathon, TBA June
    *Run in the Buff 120km TBA August
    *Lost Souls 100 Miler, September

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

note: I am saying most of the world would not agree with you :D;) But if that is perfect for you, then awesome, go rock the winter :) Everyone has there preferences :)

winter? those are Spring/Summer temperatures here. 50 would be damned unpleasant and dangerous for most of the world.
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    [quote="fitoverfortymom;

Question for early morning runners:[/b] Do you eat anything before your runs? Mine are so early (and pretty short, actually between 3-5 miles), I don't bother, but I wonder if I would "run better" if I had a little fuel before? I noticed that when I run an hour or so after having a meal, my pace tends to be quicker than my jump-out-of-bed-and-run runs. I'm not all that worried about--just wondering what others do mostly.

[/quote]

I usually do not eat anything before I run in the early mornings. If it is a long run on a Saturday and more than 6 miles, I will eat something about 30 minutes before I begin my run. If training for half marathon, I will also use gels on my long runs to help me learn what I can do on race day. On race days, I usually eat a piece of fruit before I leave for the race.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

winter? those are Spring/Summer temperatures here. 50 would be damned unpleasant and dangerous for most of the world.

I think we might be having some Fahrenheit/ Celsius confusion here...

Hence, your "most of the world" comment? ;)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @lporter229 so I've been keto for 2 years and carb loading/carb reintroduction are not "things" for legitimate ketogenic athletes, it kind of entirely defeats the purpose of going through that 6-8 weeks of fat adaptation only to kick your *kitten* out you know?

Thankfully that whole preemptive fueling process is irrelevant for HFLC endurance athletics as you can't hit the wall if it doesn't exist. Training and racing from glycogen depletion is fast becoming more common place at the ultra level. Will the Usain Bolts ever have much utility for ketogenic protocols? No, unlikely because of the absolute upper limit explosivity they require to be the best. But the American men's 100 mile champion Zach Bitter has said himself he is HFLC so it clearly has it place in high end race nutrition. @midwesterner85 is also a keto runner :)

Thanks for the explanation. It makes a lot of sense, especially from an ultra perspective, and particularly the training part. I still question whether or not ultra runners could benefit from introducing some fast burning carb fuel in the mix while racing, but I have not done any research on the subject, so I will just take your word for it.

There are quite a few fat adapted athletes who use extremely slow absorbing carbs (such as UCAN) for high intensity long runs (i.e. races that last several hours). This would be a bad idea during the adaptation period. A typical person eating a typical carb-heavy diet can oxidize fat at up to about 55% of VO2 max. An elite athlete eating a typical carb-heavy diet can oxidize fat at up to about 65% of VO2 max. Both the common person and the elite athlete can increase the intensity level at which they can rely on fat for fuel... they do this by eating very low carb for about 8 weeks while the mitochondria in muscles adapts (there are some 'hacks' in training plans to maximize the 'fat burning' VO2 max). Still, it's unlikely that either is going to reach that 90%+ that they would want to reach during competition. For this reason, there are quite a few fat adapted athletes who eat almost no carbs most of the time and still add some slow absorbing carbs when competing at high intensities for many hours (usually marathon or further... or half-marathon distance for some).

However, the idea of glycogen replenishment (i.e. carb loading the day(s) before and after a run) can be counter-productive for a fat adapted athlete. I've never fully understood it for 'normal' athletes either, because those who eat carbs constantly should already have plenty of glycogen stored... especially if they continued eating a standard American level of carbs while tapering. A big spaghetti dinner is likely to add body fat when your glycogen tank is full (or nearly full) already.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I finally remembered to photograph my duct-taped shoes. This is what it looks like when I'm done. I don't bother taping the heels since no wind gets through there anyway.

Does the tap come off easy without wrecking the shoes, or leaving residue behind?

@PastorVincent it comes off very easy and I've never noticed any residue. I think the fact that the only time shoes are taped is in cold weather prevents the stickiness of the tape to stay with the shoe when pulled off.

It's not uncommon for the edges of the tape to be flapping before I'm done with the run. Getting it to stay on is more of an issue than any residue not coming off.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Totally random question for the group that relates to my blog/racing/thought process. I'm thinking about doing a 2018 "year in Preview" post about my training/racing/diet stuff for the year. Is there any interest in that kind of stuff? I write about what I like, but want to make sure that it's relevant to what others want to learn about too.