Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »

Temps yesterday were about 23 degrees with wind chill feel temps between 9-15 when i was running.

most of the world would find that perfect running temperature.... >:)

Honestly, no. :) I would say that in the 50's with low humidity is about the "perfect" weather for running. Pretty sure that is backed up by plenty of studies too. I think that was the target of the recent sub-2 hour marathon attempt?

note 'most of the world'......... ;)

note: I am saying most of the world would not agree with you :D;) But if that is perfect for you, then awesome, go rock the winter :) Everyone has there preferences :)

winter? those are Spring/Summer temperatures here. 50 would be damned unpleasant and dangerous for most of the world.

I think we might be having some Fahrenheit/ Celsius confusion here...

Hence, your "most of the world" comment? ;)

Not sure its confusion so much as gentle jibing back and forth. ;)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I finally remembered to photograph my duct-taped shoes. This is what it looks like when I'm done. I don't bother taping the heels since no wind gets through there anyway.

Does the tap come off easy without wrecking the shoes, or leaving residue behind?

@PastorVincent it comes off very easy and I've never noticed any residue. I think the fact that the only time shoes are taped is in cold weather prevents the stickiness of the tape to stay with the shoe when pulled off.

It's not uncommon for the edges of the tape to be flapping before I'm done with the run. Getting it to stay on is more of an issue than any residue not coming off.

Interesting. Definitely something to keep in mind.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent- Holy smokes! Is that elevation number on the Strava leader board correct?

Yes? No? Maybe? Not really? So it is dreadmill incline feet.

I.e. Run 8 miles at 4% grade = 1689ish feet. (42240 feet * .04)

I entered it more for my own tracking and I wondered what it would do to Strava tables.

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Temps yesterday were about 23 degrees with wind chill feel temps between 9-15 when i was running.

most of the world would find that perfect running temperature.... >:)

Honestly, no. :) I would say that in the 50's with low humidity is about the "perfect" weather for running. Pretty sure that is backed up by plenty of studies too. I think that was the target of the recent sub-2 hour marathon attempt?

note 'most of the world'......... ;)

note: I am saying most of the world would not agree with you :D;) But if that is perfect for you, then awesome, go rock the winter :) Everyone has there preferences :)

winter? those are Spring/Summer temperatures here. 50 would be damned unpleasant and dangerous for most of the world.

I think we might be having some Fahrenheit/ Celsius confusion here...

Hence, your "most of the world" comment? ;)

Not sure its confusion so much as gentle jibing back and forth. ;)

Yeah, I got that a little late. that's why I edited to add my comment on the second line. My brain was functioning slowly this morning...it's Monday.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @PastorVincent We know that you lose time the hotter it gets above a certain point but is there any data to prove the same is true for sub zero running (independent of environmental factors obviously)???

That is a great question. I would ASSUME that there is a range of temps that the average person can perform at their top tier, and the farther you get from said range, the worse they perform.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @PastorVincent We know that you lose time the hotter it gets above a certain point but is there any data to prove the same is true for sub zero running (independent of environmental factors obviously)???

That is a great question. I would ASSUME that there is a range of temps that the average person can perform at their top tier, and the farther you get from said range, the worse they perform.

I'm not super cold adapted and, for me, running sub zero, I get slower after it's down to like -15 or so. The environmental factors that go along with cold are usually more of the issue though (loose snow is my nemesis)
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,724 Member
    Options
    Question for early morning runners: Do you eat anything before your runs? Mine are so early (and pretty short, actually between 3-5 miles), I don't bother, but I wonder if I would "run better" if I had a little fuel before? I noticed that when I run an hour or so after having a meal, my pace tends to be quicker than my jump-out-of-bed-and-run runs. I'm not all that worried about--just wondering what others do mostly.

I don't eat before my weekday morning runs. Distance is around 5 miles and the time is 5 am which means I have to get up at 4 in order to get dressed and drive to where I meet up with some other running buddies. I don't want to get up any earlier than that to eat. If I've had a light dinner the night before and wake up hungry, I might eat a couple of protein bites or a nibble of something but nothing too substantial.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »
    jibing aside. I took some time to mark up a quick table and removing wind chills/humidity levels from the equation.....Green for me is most likely optimal running, Blue is ok/doable (just colder, dress as needed), Yellow = caution (consider all elements by dressing or hydrating properly, etc); Red not likely to see me outside running.

Interesting table. Below is mine. Generally the same categories but I added an upper blue range as temps outside my optimal but not yet to the yellow caution level. As you did, I ignored contributions from wind or humidity.

My criteria for the split between yellow and red is, would I run 2 miles in that cold/heat? If no, it's red. If yes, it's yellow. I've only run in wind chills down to -31°F/-35°C, so for temps below that, I'm just guessing. I think 90F/32C is the highest I've run so the same applies above that.

<Edited to revise my table>

xct96snojl67.jpg

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Follow up question for early morning runners: What and when do you eat after your runs, if anything? How long after your run do you eat? Experiences related to this helpful...
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Jan. 8 - 6.8km walk/run. 0°C, it has finally warmed up! Thank goodness.
    MTD - 21.2km
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    nice table @7lenny7. Kudos on your ability to run outside in the Negative yellow section. I likely could have pushed my colder temps a bit lower, but, even though excluded, wind chills crept into my thought process on setting initial zones. So, mileage depending, on days which are colder, I am more likely to stay indoors for shorter runs, however if I had a long run to complete (over 75+ minutes) , I likely would venture outside with temps in the single digits on either side of zero depending on what the Chicago winds were doing that day.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    My preferred running temps are probably somewhere in the @7lenny7 range. Not sure we get much in the -5 range here though....

We were talking about Fahrenheit at the weekend. Like, have you ever looked up where it actually COMES from? The answer is....interesting...

Growing up in the U.K. does make you fairly bilingual, but most newspapers stopped reporting degrees F temperatures about thirty years ago.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Follow up question for early morning runners: What and when do you eat after your runs, if anything? How long after your run do you eat? Experiences related to this helpful...

Protein and carbs with 30min of a run. Full meal within 2 hours. Helps with recovery.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @kevaasen winds are definitely a huge factor. In the winter I tend to think in wind chills rather than actual air temp if I'm going to be outside. On a calm day I can stand very low temps but when the wind picks up it can HURT. That's why I bought a pair of ski goggles for winter running. I haven't had to use them yet but the other day at -31F windchill I came very, very close. It wouldn't take much wind at all for me not to even attempt a -49F run, but just like running ultra distances, I'd want to see if I could. I'll admit I may be optimistic in my lower yellow zone

I love cold weather more than most Minnesotans. Even people here think I'm nuts. I do get a charge out of going outside in nasty, cold weather and just dealing with it. It's not unlike the feeling I get after difficult long run.

Arctic temps just make me feel ALIVE.
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

I have a great support system at home with my husband. I usually wake up, go run and return home in time to shower and get ready for work. I wake my husband up after my run and he prepares my "after run snack" - a whole wheat tortilla with peanut butter and raisins OR cranberries. I know this sounds horrible to some, but it really tastes good and gives me a feeling of being full. I will eat this along with a piece of fruit on the way to work -usually about 30 -45 minutes after I run. I have about a 45 minute - one hour commute including dropping the kids off at school, so once I arrive at work I eat a cup of oatmeal or grits with a cup of coffee. This breakfast is usually about two hours after I finish running.

• PastorVincent
    Options

Protein and carbs with 30min of a run. Full meal within 2 hours. Helps with recovery.

I use long runs as my excuse to indulge in 16 oz of Chocolate Milk (using whole milk). :)