January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom I don't run in the early morning but if I do, for runs of an hour or less, I don't eat or drink anything. Like @girlinahat says, I need to be out the door and running before my brain catches on.

Beyond that, say for a weekend long run, I'll drink 2 or 3 cups of coffee, have some toast or a bagel, and wait for the coffee to have it's affect before I go. I'll carry TP with me but prefer not to have to use it mid run.

After a run of hour or less, I'll eat whatever it is I normally have for breakfast...usually 4 eggs with veggies, a meat, and cheese. If it's a long run, I'll likely have a protein bar, shower, then whatever I find in the fridge to eat. I don't follow any particular post-run diet.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    My preferred running temps are 35-50F. I don't mind running when it's between 20-35F, but I don't appreciate the added attire. When it's in the 40s, I wear shorts, a long sleeved shirt, a head band to cover my ears at the start of the run and gloves, because Reynaud's. I usually can go my entire run without getting uncomfortable. Anything hotter, then I will probably be sweating more than I would like to at some point.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Follow up question for early morning runners: What and when do you eat after your runs, if anything? How long after your run do you eat? Experiences related to this helpful...

Protein and carbs with 30min of a run. Full meal within 2 hours. Helps with recovery.

I use long runs as my excuse to indulge in 16 oz of Chocolate Milk (using whole milk). :)

My nutritionist said I should have protein and carbs after every run.... chocolate protein shakes are my go to.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Follow up question for early morning runners: What and when do you eat after your runs, if anything? How long after your run do you eat? Experiences related to this helpful...

Protein and carbs with 30min of a run. Full meal within 2 hours. Helps with recovery.

I use long runs as my excuse to indulge in 16 oz of Chocolate Milk (using whole milk). :)

My nutritionist said I should have protein and carbs after every run.... chocolate protein shakes are my go to.

If you look at the balance of Protein/Fat/Carbs in Chocolate Milk, the real stuff mind you, you will find it is actually ideal for recovery. In fact, limited testing has shown it to be among the best choices, far better than sports drinks.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

If you look at the balance of Protein/Fat/Carbs in Chocolate Milk, the real stuff mind you, you will find it is actually ideal for recovery. In fact, limited testing has shown it to be among the best choices, far better than sports drinks.

Oh, I know it :wink: It's more that if I have it, it will be GONE fast.... the protein shakes take more work, so I'm not downing them all the time.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

"Results of this study suggested that chocolate milk out-performed the Endurox in measures of time to exhaustion and total work."
    https://runnersconnect.net/is-chocolate-milk-really-a-good-recovery-drink-after-running/

Plus, you know, it is yummy! :smiley:
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Another 3km Just a short run to get those legs going after yesterday's 10km and todays' 20km cycle round to work

exercise.png

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent we actually bring chocolate milk to cross country meets for the kids to drink after a race.

I won't tell you all what I eat for breakfast after a run. I'm the person on the chart under don't do this. I usually don't eat anything until a few hours later.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,725 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

After my run, I head to the gym, shower and get ready for work so breakfast is usually an hour after my run. Most of the time, I pack my breakfast and it usually consists of oatmeal in some form - baked oatmeal, overnight oats, or just plain oatmeal. It sticks with me pretty good. I'm not sure that its the nutritionally correct thing but its easy to transport and heat. Looks like I may need to add protein?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »

After my run, I head to the gym, shower and get ready for work so breakfast is usually an hour after my run. Most of the time, I pack my breakfast and it usually consists of oatmeal in some form - baked oatmeal, overnight oats, or just plain oatmeal. It sticks with me pretty good. I'm not sure that its the nutritionally correct thing but its easy to transport and heat. Looks like I may need to add protein?

If you make the oats with milk, there's your protein.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Unfortunately that's true. But it's milk. From a cow. :grimace: where's the pukey face? Ugh it's all snotty and gross. *Barf*
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Unfortunately that's true. But it's milk. From a cow. :grimace: where's the pukey face? Ugh it's all snotty and gross. *Barf*

You do know that plants grow from dirt, right? And that the best plant growing dirt comes from... poop... we are organic beings living in an organic world, there's not one edible thing that isn't "gross" if you think about it in those terms.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    66 posts later, and some miscellaneous replies:

@slimbyjune18 - Abstaining from alcohol during marathon training: Yes, I do. But I may not be a fair test; I also abstain from alcohol when I'm *not* in marathon training. Maybe I'd be faster if I didn't? I don't know. I see examples of runners both faster and slower than me who love their beer.

@girlinahat – I've always seen it stated that 55º F (13º C) is the perfect running temperature physiologically, though individual preferences vary. Of the runners I know, the people who prefer warmer than 55 tend to be newbies. The experienced runners are all over the map on what they prefer, but 55 tends to be the high end. I'm more concerned with the total meteorological picture rather than just the temperature; 45º F (7º C) with heavy rain and wind could be miserably cold, while 30º F (-1º C) with little wind and sunshine would be very pleasant. But mostly, I try to channel Sir Ranulf Fiennes: "There is no bad weather, there is only inappropriate clothing."

@fitoverfortymom – I believe I'm an outlier. I'll get up a 4:15 so I have time for a full breakfast before running at 7 AM. Most other distance runners I know seem to think I'm nuts for how much I eat before I run, but it works for me. Followup question: What/when I eat after the run depends on how long the run takes. I only get up early for organized runs, so there tends to be a significant lag between the end of the run and getting home. If the early run is a race, I'll eat some post-race food. If it's a training run, I'll stretch, chat with other runners, hang around a while, and then head home. For a 10 to 12 mile run, I'm probably early enough to have an apple, a banana, and some cottage cheese as a snack. For a 20 or 22 mile run, it's probably lunch time anyway by the time I get to real food. But I will have had some gels during a run that long. A training run that I get up early for will *not* be a short run.

@MNLittleFinn – Blog about what you need to blog about to help yourself organize your thoughts. If it interests or helps anyone else, that's a bonus.
  • Elise4270
    Options

You do know that plants grow from dirt, right? And that the best plant growing dirt comes from... poop... we are organic beings living in an organic world, there's not one edible thing that isn't "gross" if you think about it in those terms.

Haha! Yes. But I was picking on @PastorVincent the ketchup eater :wink:
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Which comes from a plant btw. Which is NOT a cow. Just in case you did not understand the difference.
  • Elise4270
    Options

Which comes from a plant btw. Which is NOT a cow. Just in case you did not understand the difference.

Oh harsh man.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,725 Member
    Options

If you make the oats with milk, there's your protein.

Good point!
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Jan 7 - 2.62 mi