January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Cars are the only thing that really stop me from running... probably why I run mostly trail, since that particular problem goes away in the woods.
    If you find a car on a Trail it's usually a new wreck that someone took for a Joy Ride, a very old wreck - abandoned vehicle. One of my favorite Bush Trails is called Cadillac Ranch - any guess's why?

Yesterday -29C Today -11C The local running club/group has an afternoon ( 2 pm ) run planned - the strange part for those not used to cold temps, it promises to be very slippery as once it starts to warm up all the little frost nodules melt/subliminate creating a very slippery but hard surface that Yak Trax or other traction devices have a hard time to bite into since the ice is still at the -29C temp making it brittle/fragile. Promises to be fun after the cold weather restrictions of the last week.

There are no Cadillac's in the wrecks, old 1930's trucks, 1950/60's cars.
    HRKinchen wrote: »
    Word out of Jackson is that the last cold snap burst the water lines in so many places (140?!) that they've had to divert crews who would be patching potholes along the course to repair damage from the burst lines instead, some of which are along and around the course. Gravel patches, potholes and hills - Maybe I'll count this as one of my trail races for the year?

@HRKinchen The start of the transition to a dedicated Trail Runner-Racer.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 one of my favorite places in thr Boundary Waters Canoe Area has a model T on an island.... guessing its been there a while
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @juliet3455 one of my favorite places in thr Boundary Waters Canoe Area has a model T on an island.... guessing its been there a while

The picture on the weather channel right now:

shlf4yk3ontr.png

This is why today is a dreadmill day. The general human's ability to drive in this weather is lacking something...
    This is why you need to get you some trail. No cars, no trucks, no excuses.... I hate roads.....
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,909 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

shlf4yk3ontr.png

This is why today is a dreadmill day. The general human's ability to drive in this weather is lacking something...

*sighs* that is Middle TN, I live a little further north, near Clarksville. The level of stupid on why people have to get out *shakes my head* Over 300 reported accidents in Clarksville....that's just the reported ones.

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @PastorVincent @AlphaHowls That road looks like my daily commute the last week or so. Do people really have a hard time navigating winter roads?
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    HRKinchen wrote: »
    Word out of Jackson is that the last cold snap burst the water lines in so many places (140?!) that they've had to divert crews who would be patching potholes along the course to repair damage from the burst lines instead, some of which are along and around the course. Gravel patches, potholes and hills - Maybe I'll count this as one of my trail races for the year?

@HRKinchen The start of the transition to a dedicated Trail Runner-Racer.

I definitely see the appeal of trail running. Ran my first last year and loved it.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @PastorVincent @AlphaHowls That road looks like my daily commute the last week or so. Do people really have a hard time navigating winter roads?

@MNLittleFinn some people never drive on winter/snowy roads in their lifetime. Skip has been driving for over 2 years and has never had the need to drive on snow or ice because we haven't had any. Cars/trucks sold in this area don't automatically come with all wheel or four wheel drive, heck they don't come with a place to put a front license plate. We have little to no ability to remove snow, most places have no ability to salt or put sand down. I took Skip's SUV to work yesterday in case we did get snow because it has 4 wheel drive, but that's because I brought it in New Jersey. So to answer your question, yes people who don't drive in these conditions with any regularity have a hard time navigating such conditions. In my opinion they just need to stay home, but some don't have a choice.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    We are going to get colder temps in Florida starting tonight, (yeah nothing for most of you, I know!) but that means no biking tomorrow again. Gosh, I've hardly biked in a month! But I will run tomorrow!

Today did 44 miles in a pretty strong wind. The worst is when you have the tailwind going out... and you know what's to come. And it came alright.

1/1 - 4.5 miles #RWRunStreak Day 40!!! I’m done!
    1/2 - REST day!
    1/3 - Strength training - glutes/arms
    1/4 - 5 miles
    1/5 - strength training - glutes/arms W4C
    1/6 - 8 miles
    1/7 - strength training - arms only
    1/8 - strength training - gluten
    1/9 - 4 miles
    1/10 - REST day
    1/11 - 4 miles
    1/12 - 3.75 miles
    1/13 - 44 miles biking

exercise.png

Oh my gosh when I first read this I thought you meant you ran 44 miles today!

I guess for some here that’s just another day!
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options

shlf4yk3ontr.png

Now I understand the purpose of the odd-faced "Woo" button. Because, *woo!* am I glad I'm not running anywhere near that! :lol:
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options

@MNLittleFinn some people never drive on winter/snowy roads in their lifetime. Skip has been driving for over 2 years and has never had the need to drive on snow or ice because we haven't had any. Cars/trucks sold in this area don't automatically come with all wheel or four wheel drive, heck they don't come with a place to put a front license plate. We have little to no ability to remove snow, most places have no ability to salt or put sand down. I took Skip's SUV to work yesterday in case we did get snow because it has 4 wheel drive, but that's because I brought it in New Jersey. So to answer your question, yes people who don't drive in these conditions with any regularity have a hard time navigating such conditions. In my opinion they just need to stay home, but some don't have a choice.

We got 10 inches of snow last Thursday (over a week ago). Virginia Beach closed school for 6 straight school days. My kids go to private school and closed for only 3 days.

The school board was worried about buses navigating neighborhoods where there was still snow. The city will not plow neighborhood roads so we just have to wait for it all to melt.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »

We got 10 inches of snow last Thursday (over a week ago). Virginia Beach closed school for 6 straight school days. My kids go to private school and closed for only 3 days.

The school board was worried about buses navigating neighborhoods where there was still snow. The city will not plow neighborhood roads so we just have to wait for it all to melt.

Thats total crap.