Options
    1/1 - Rest
    1/2 - 2 miles
    1/3 - Boxing
    1/4 - 2.5 miles
    1/6 - 2.4 miles
    1/7 - 2 miles + 30-minute boxing session

8.9 miles so far / 50 miles goal

Today, I finally braved the Chicago cold and went downtown for a run on the lakefront. I think the amount of layers I had above the waist was perfect! The balaclava was really helpful with my breathing! But WOW, did my legs feel numb heading into the second mile, even though I was clipping along at a decent pace! Probably a stupid question, but is that normal? is my one layer of running tights not enough?

My plan was to run 5 miles today, but the frigid air psyched me out. As a newbie runner, running in the cold was a first for me so I guess I'm proud of what I could accomplish. Tomorrow will be better -- the temperatures are supposed to reach the mid 30s. :smile:

5k race is two weeks away!

@LaurenFOB2301 I don't know the temperature you ran in but I'm sure it was very cold. Usually anything below 25 to 30 I wear a base layer especially if it's windy. So that's 2 pair of tights. I don't have any wind pants or any fleece lined so 2 pair for me is a must. Great job by the way.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,724 Member
    Options
    January 1 – 5 miles
    January 3 – 5 miles
    January 6 – 5 miles
    January 7 – 8.23 miles
    January 8 – 4.79 miles

This morning’s track workout was 4 x 1200s. It was a nice 27 degrees so no weather issues. The possibility of freezing rain was in the forecast but it’s been pushed out to start at noon today. Hopefully, the temps will be higher by then and it will just be rain.

@LaurenFOB2301 – Like Skippy’s mom, when the temperature is below 25, I usually wear two layers. Usually a pair of tights and a pair of wind pants.

Upcoming Races:
    February 3 – Strawberry Plains Half Marathon
    February 24-25 – Gasparilla Amber Challenge (15K & 5K on Saturday; Half Marathon on Sunday)
    May 6 – Pittsburgh Half Marathon
  • Teresa502
    Options

I thought you explained your reason why you run ultras very well! I get it!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »

I thought you explained your reason why you run ultras very well! I get it!

it takes a different kind of person. It's not a good thing or bad thing, it's just a who I am thing!
  • jwebb949
    jwebb949 Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    1/1 - 0 Dr Ordered Rest
    1/2 - 0 Dr Ordered Rest
    1/3 - 10.2 km
    1/4 - 10.7km
    1/5 - 0 Watched Team Canada Win Gold
    1/6 - 7.2km Hung over birthday run
    1/7 - 21.3km

49.5/200 km

Upcoming Races:
    1/20/2018 MEC Road Race #1 21.1KM
    2/10/2018 Hypothermic Half 21.1KM
    4/7/2018 MEC Road Race #2 15KM
    04/15/2018 Legacy Endurance 21KM
    4/22/2018 Eyeball the Wall 30KM
    5/5/2018 MEC Road Race #3 30KM
    5/27/2018 Calgary Marathon 42.2KM
    6/9/2018 MEC Road Race #4 15KM
    7/21/2018 MEC Road Race #5 21.1KM
    8/19/2018 Edmonton Marathon 42.2KM
    9/8/2018 MEC Road Race #6 30KM
    10/13/2018 MEC Road Race #7 42.2KM

Find me on Strava
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Freezing rain and closed roads due to accidents... Monday starting off great for some it seems.

Thankfully I have a work from home on Mondays. :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Freezing rain and closed roads due to accidents... Monday starting off great for some it seems.

What you listed there are some of the reasons my wife is switching to work from home. I'm kid of envious, she'll be able to fit her running in better.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

What you listed there are some of the reasons my wife is switching to work from home. I'm kid of envious, she'll be able to fit her running in better.

In my day job, I WFH 2 days a week. It is a big help for many things, especially all categories involving time since I save on the commute. The one disadvantage though is the full gym that we have at work, so I can only do my strength training on days I am not working from home.
  • LaurenFOB2301
    LaurenFOB2301 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    January 1 – 5 miles
    January 3 – 5 miles
    January 6 – 5 miles
    January 7 – 8.23 miles
    January 8 – 4.79 miles

This morning’s track workout was 4 x 1200s. It was a nice 27 degrees so no weather issues. The possibility of freezing rain was in the forecast but it’s been pushed out to start at noon today. Hopefully, the temps will be higher by then and it will just be rain.

@LaurenFOB2301 – Like Skippy’s mom, when the temperature is below 25, I usually wear two layers. Usually a pair of tights and a pair of wind pants.

Upcoming Races:
    February 24-25 – Gasparilla Amber Challenge (15K & 5K on Saturday; Half Marathon on Sunday)

When you say below 25, do you mean 25 degrees below zero? Or 25 degrees? Thanks! I ask because it's been THAT cold lately here.

Temps yesterday were about 23 degrees with wind chill feel temps between 9-15 when i was running.

Good to know I may not have been appropriately dressed below the waist. It stressed me out a bit and I cut my run short. I'll try 2 pairs of tights.
  • Teresa502
    Options
    January 1 – 5 miles
    January 3 – 5 miles
    January 6 – 5 miles
    January 7 – 8.23 miles
    January 8 – 4.79 miles

Upcoming Races:

When you say below 25, do you mean 25 degrees below zero? Or 25 degrees? Thanks! I ask because it's been THAT cold lately here.

Temps yesterday were about 23 degrees with wind chill feel temps between 9-15 when i was running.

Good to know I may not have been appropriately dressed below the waist. It stressed me out a bit and I cut my run short. I'll try 2 pairs of tights.

Oh goodness no - there aren't enough layers in the world to get me out there for 25 below zero! I meant 25F! :D
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

most of the world would find that perfect running temperature.... >:)

• angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,798 Member
    Options
    1/1/18-6 miles
    1/4/18-3 miles
    1/6/18-6 miles
    1/7/18-3.25 miles

18.25/60 Miles

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/17/18-Run to the Pub-half Marathon (not signed up yet)
    5/12/18-Montana Womens Run-5 Miles
    7/15/18-Missoula Marathon
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

most of the world would find that perfect running temperature.... >:)

Honestly, no. :) I would say that in the 50's with low humidity is about the "perfect" weather for running. Pretty sure that is backed up by plenty of studies too. I think that was the target of the recent sub-2 hour marathon attempt?
  • LaurenFOB2301
    LaurenFOB2301 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    January 1 – 5 miles
    January 3 – 5 miles
    January 6 – 5 miles
    January 7 – 8.23 miles
    January 8 – 4.79 miles

Upcoming Races:

Oh goodness no - there aren't enough layers in the world to get me out there for 25 below zero! I meant 25F! :D

LOL. Oh thank god! I was like, "Wow, these guys are dedicated!" It was 25 below zero with the wind chill here about 4-5 days ago -- needless to say, I did not run outside!! :D
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @lporter229 so I've been keto for 2 years and carb loading/carb reintroduction are not "things" for legitimate ketogenic athletes, it kind of entirely defeats the purpose of going through that 6-8 weeks of fat adaptation only to kick your *kitten* out you know?

Thankfully that whole preemptive fueling process is irrelevant for HFLC endurance athletics as you can't hit the wall if it doesn't exist. Training and racing from glycogen depletion is fast becoming more common place at the ultra level. Will the Usain Bolts ever have much utility for ketogenic protocols? No, unlikely because of the absolute upper limit explosivity they require to be the best. But the American men's 100 mile champion Zach Bitter has said himself he is HFLC so it clearly has it place in high end race nutrition. @midwesterner85 is also a keto runner :)

Thanks for the explanation. It makes a lot of sense, especially from an ultra perspective, and particularly the training part. I still question whether or not ultra runners could benefit from introducing some fast burning carb fuel in the mix while racing, but I have not done any research on the subject, so I will just take your word for it.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    1/1-4 miles New Years run
    1/2-4.1 miles dreadmill intervals+ "Functional Training with Stella"
    1/3-4.4 miles+ stretching/PT
    1/4-3.7 miles trail running
    1/5-Rest day
    1/6-7 miles
    1/7-9 miles total (6 @tempo pace)

We finally got a bit of a warm up yesterday here in Ohio. And by warm up, I mean the temps finally made it into the upper 20s. Some of the snow melted from the side of the road, so I took Stella out for a 2 mile run. I had a tempo run on the schedule (actually swapped it with Saturday since it was warmer), so I used my run with her as a warm up, then went back out for 6 fast miles and a slower mile for a cool down. Today is a cross-training day which is good because we got freezing rain over night and everything this morning was a sheet of ice. My walk with Stella this morning was a good exercise in balance for sure.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    01/01/18 - 3 miles
    01/02/18 - 4 miles
    01/03/18 - 4 miles
    01/04/18 - 3 miles
    01/05/18 - Cross train
    01/06/18 - 6 miles
    01/07/18 - REST
    01/08/18 - 3 miles

MTD: 20 miles
    JAN GOAL: 80 miles

YTD: 20 miles
    2018 GOAL: 1000 miles

Upcoming (and hopeful) Races:
    02/10/18 - Mardi Crawl 10k
    04/14/18 - Rattler Mad Moose 10k (Trail)
    06/02/18 - Gluten free Gallop 5k (hubby and daughter have Celiac so this one's personal)
    06/23/18 - Slacker Half Marathon
    07/xx/18 - Something on a trail TBD
    09/23/18 - Xterra Mountain 8k (Trail)
    10/28/18 - Kooky Spooky 10k
    11/xx/18 - A Turkey Trot 5k of some sort TBD

Question for early morning runners: Do you eat anything before your runs? Mine are so early (and pretty short, actually between 3-5 miles), I don't bother, but I wonder if I would "run better" if I had a little fuel before? I noticed that when I run an hour or so after having a meal, my pace tends to be quicker than my jump-out-of-bed-and-run runs. I'm not all that worried about--just wondering what others do mostly.