January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom I have definitely been considering popping by my neighbour's house to do laundry but with 2 small kids there's just so much to wash...

Obviously, I can not speak for your neighbor, but if you were my neighbor, I would rather you come over and do the wash than suffer. Your neighbor might feel the same. Many people like helping people, and you steal their chance for joy when you do not let them.

Just a thought. :smiley:

My husband says this all the time. I’m very reluctant to ask for help, but it seems when I do people are so happy to be helpful.

You have a very wise husband :sunglasses:
  • ddmm2013
    ddmm2013 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• LBgetsfit
    LBgetsfit Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    5km on treadmill
    4.05km outdoors with the pup (I had to walk a bit as the one trail was super icy!)
    Today: 9.05km

Jan total = 25.40km / 75km goal
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Jan. 11 - 6.6km walk/run. It was +9°C! It was so nice I wanted to keep going but I have been on my feet all day and my knee and heel were already hurting during the run.
    MTD - 27.8km
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Nice run today, and what's wrong with running in a little snow and wind?
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 glad to hear you and Kody are alright. I just about had someone hit me today, girl didn't even slow down, just zipped around the corner where I was crossing.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Rest day today. The left leg tells me I need it. Tentative plan is another rest day tomorrow, then attempt 5 miles at Freezeroo #3 on Saturday morning. Don't race it, just run it easy. Or maybe run MP; forecast is for 10-15 mph WNW wind, snow showers, and gun time temperature of 13º F (-11º C). It's hard to run slow when it's cold and I'm trying to keep warm.

Or if I wimp out of the race, I could do a social run of 3 or 5 miles Saturday morning. The race is probably better footing and a more pleasant route.

Today I got out and walked about 3 miles, at 60º F (16º C). Most of the snow has melted off my lawn and the streets; it's nice to have it gone before the next batch comes in.

@PastorVincent - The cold bothers me more than it used to, and heat less than it used to. I don't think it's entirely because I lost 55 pounds, though that's part of it; the other part is that I'm a distance runner with a low resting heart rate. Get the heart rate up while running, and keep it moderate walking around, and the cold isn't so bad; but just go out in the cold after sitting around, and it's awful. There's also a psychological effect; the same weather feels colder in street clothes than in running clothes. When I'm dressed to run, my body expects to be generating heat soon.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - The cold bothers me more than it used to, and heat less than it used to. I don't think it's entirely because I lost 55 pounds, though that's part of it; the other part is that I'm a distance runner with a low resting heart rate. Get the heart rate up while running, and keep it moderate walking around, and the cold isn't so bad; but just go out in the cold after sitting around, and it's awful. There's also a psychological effect; the same weather feels colder in street clothes than in running clothes. When I'm dressed to run, my body expects to be generating heat soon.

You know that might be part of it. I do not know what is considered a "low resting heart rate" - nor have I actually measured mine - but I think you would say I am probably in the "distance runner" category of physical conditioning. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent Nice run today, and what's wrong with running in a little snow and wind?

That all depends on what a "little" is in this context. :lol:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

If its coming down slower than an inch per hour and you should be fine. If its 3in or less deep when you stsrt, you should also be ok.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    All the cold people: if you haven't had it checked in a while, have your thyroid checked. I used to be freezing all the time until I went on synthroid!
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    01.01.18 - 10 m. TM @ 8:30.
    01.02.18 - 9 m. TM @ 9:15.
    01.04.18 - 8 m. TM @ 9:22 / Bike Trainer for 60 minutes.
    01.05.18 - 8.1 m. TM @ 9:10.
    01.06.18 - 9 m. TM @ 8:40 / Bike Trainer for 60 minutes.
    01.07.18 - 7.4 m. @ 8:31. 51.50 running miles for the week.
    01.08.18 - 8 mm. @ 9:00 pace. / Bike Trainer for 45 minutes.
    01.10.18 - 11 m. 8:31 pace.
    01.11.18 - 5.2 m. 8:40 pace.

January Goal - 220 total running miles. Begin IM 70.3 Bike Training program.

Upcoming Events:
    1.27 or 1.28 - Scheduling.
    3.4.18 - Little Rock Marathon
    4.7.18 - Yakima River Canyon Marathon
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    1/1 - 5.0 km
    1/2 - 5.1 km
    1/3 - strength + walk
    1/4 - 5.7 km
    1/5 - walk
    1/6 - 8.1 km
    1/7 - rest
    1/8 - strength plus core
    1/9 - 5.8 km
    1/10 - strength plus core
    1/11 - 5.5 km

35.2/80 km

Gym again. Slightly less packed but I still had to hop over to the elliptical to finish my distance because there was a wait for the treadmills when the 30 minute timer was up. Sure wish I could run 5K in less than 30 minutes...

Anyway, tonight will be stupider cold and then it's supposed to gradually warm all day tomorrow. By Saturday's run it should be about -2C so back outside for my long run. Yay! Planning on 10-12 km depending on how ambitious I feel.

Upcoming Races:
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K ~38:00 (no official times)
    3/4/18 MEC Road Race #1 10K
    4/7/18 Jasper Half Marathon
    4/22/18 MEC Trail Race #1 5K
    5/20/18 MEC Trail Race #2 10K
    6/24/18 MEC Trail Race #3 15K
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon 10K
    9/2/18 MEC Trail Race #4 10K
    10/7/18 MEC Trail Race #5 15K
  • PastorVincent
    Options

If its coming down slower than an inch per hour and you should be fine. If its 3in or less deep when you stsrt, you should also be ok.

Right now the winter storm warning does not start until early evening. So if I can get a little jump on exiting work, I might be able to get the run in ahead of the storm, and then just drive home in it instead :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Wow, what a ...umm... KITTEN this guy is:

This Ultra Runner Won His Races by Hiding in a Port-A-Potty
    https://www.runnersworld.com/ultra-marathon/ultra-runner-hides-in-port-a-potty
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    All the cold people: if you haven't had it checked in a while, have your thyroid checked. I used to be freezing all the time until I went on synthroid!

No change to my prior post; I've been on levothyroxine (generic synthroid) longer than I've been a runner, and annual blood work has not indicated a need to change the dose.

But that does bring to mind . . . when I was in the weight loss phase, I was cold a lot, even in the summer. I used to go outside to walk in the heat because I was cold in the air conditioned office. That stopped happening when I got into the maintenance phase. 20-20 hindsight says I ate too little and lost the weight too fast, with being cold a symptom of simply not eating enough; but that phase only lasted about 12 weeks, so I got away with it. It could have turned into a health problem if I'd kept that up a year, but I didn't need to lose a year's worth of weight at the rate I lost.