January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    @juliet3455 one of my favorite places in thr Boundary Waters Canoe Area has a model T on an island.... guessing its been there a while

The picture on the weather channel right now:

shlf4yk3ontr.png

This is why today is a dreadmill day. The general human's ability to drive in this weather is lacking something...

*sighs* that is Middle TN, I live a little further north, near Clarksville. The level of stupid on why people have to get out *shakes my head* Over 300 reported accidents in Clarksville....that's just the reported ones.

Yes, that is on I40 I think. I used to live in Nashville. A 1/2 inch snow literally shut the CITY DOWN for 3 days.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    01/01/2018 - 3.0 miles @ 9:15
    01/02/2018 - 6.5 MPH and 4% Grade for 1 hour
    01/03/2018 - 6.5 MPH For 8 Miles at 4% grade
    01/04/2018 - 6.7 MPH For 8 Miles at 4% grade
    01/05/2018 - 6.8 MPH For 8 Miles at 4% grade
    01/06/2018 - Rest
    01/07/2018 - Rest - Family Time
    01/07/2018 - 7.0 MPH for 7 miles at 4% grade
    01/08/2018 - 10 miles @ 8:58 pace
    01/09/2018 - *grumble grumble meetings*
    01/10/2018 - 11 miles @ 8:34 pace
    01/11/2018 - *grumble* *grumble*
    01/12/2018 - 7.0 MPH for 7 miles at 4.25% grade

Big Hairy Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

03/17/18 - Shamrock Shuffle Half Marathon
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (I must hate myself)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @zdyb23456 It's the same here if there's even a chance of snow or ice, buses won't run. Main road could be fine, but secondary roads could be too dangerous.

@skippygirlsmom My daughter has been driving for 6-7 years and has yet to drive in nasty weather. Thank goodness. She has a little Honda Civic. I'm sure it'd handle like newly born Bambi out there.

It gets treacherous here. I just dread freezing temps and any precipitation. When we lived in Delaware, I don't remember the roads being too bad as they has lots of snow. We we're lucky to get a blizzard one year. Still went out for a pizza run and found out that ice sets up in the tires and causes noisy wobbling.

Until we bought her RAV4, my wife drove a Civic, for her first 10 years of driving. They actually handle weather well. FWD cars actually handle just fine in pretty much all weather, as long as people aren't driving them like idiots... RWD is more of a problem.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @zdyb23456 It's the same here if there's even a chance of snow or ice, buses won't run. Main road could be fine, but secondary roads could be too dangerous.

@skippygirlsmom My daughter has been driving for 6-7 years and has yet to drive in nasty weather. Thank goodness. She has a little Honda Civic. I'm sure it'd handle like newly born Bambi out there.

It gets treacherous here. I just dread freezing temps and any precipitation. When we lived in Delaware, I don't remember the roads being too bad as they has lots of snow. We we're lucky to get a blizzard one year. Still went out for a pizza run and found out that ice sets up in the tires and causes noisy wobbling.

Until we bought her RAV4, my wife drove a Civic, for her first 10 years of driving. They actually handle weather well. FWD cars actually handle just fine in pretty much all weather, as long as people aren't driving them like idiots... RWD is more of a problem.

That's good to know.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I mentioned to dh today that I need to go to the gym and tough out a long walk while it was 30 and sunny. No takers.

The garage needs cleaned out so I can move the tm and use it without getting dizzy looking at the wall so closely... He's on it.

We need new furniture. "No way"... We went and just looked. I'll probably get new furniture now. Key is to act like you don't care.

Dh wants kids. Ug Nooo! Thats an ordeal. Gah! Pray it passes and he's fine with 3 cats and two dogs. He's up for fostering. Beyond my mental and emotional capacity. I ruined 3 already.

ETA I need to run. :smiley: dh needs to go run :grin:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 our big thing here is ice when we get winter stuff, nothing is good to drive on ice. I'd rather drive on snow all day long.
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have an AWD vehicle with snow tires, otherwise I wouldn’t want to drive for about 4 months of the year.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @zdyb23456 - lol, no that would NOT be me running for 44! A HM is probably going to be my limit.

@MNLittleFinn - In northern states they have snow tires and chains or whatever. But in the South, we've got nothing! They don't even sell snow tires here. So, yes, people in states who get little snow/ice can't drive in the snow. Even growing up just outside of DC we didn't get much snow and the few times I had to drive it in (when I was maybe 20-24), it was very scary because there was just no experience.

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

I had a mustang in Wisconsin. That was fun! We weighed the trunk down, which helped a bit. It would still fishtail sometimes despite me being careful.

I once drove home on sheer ice. A normal 10-15 drive took me like an hour. I was barely rolling along and saw a few cars in ditches. Another time I hit a patch of black ice on a freeway overpass, spun out. Police told me there was nothing I could have done because you can't see it and overpasses are usually the worse because the wind goes under the bridge and freezes the rain/sleet where it isn't freezing anywhere else. That was another day with multiple accidents. My mom came across 3 before she got to mine. After those, I decided it was time to move.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    The weather generally isn’t a factor here often, but we’ve got some crazy roads with no shoulders and ginormous ditches. I’ve seen so many vehicles in the ditch on this road near my house. School buses, a garbage truck once!, countless cars, vans, trucks, and suvs. No one is immune!

The road is tricky, but I also think cell phones have a great deal to do with it. There is zero grace if you aren’t paying attention!
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It's definitely scary living in a place where snow is an abnormality. I grew up in northern Missouri and learned how to drive on snow and ice from the start. These Okies are terrifying in winter driving conditions. They all seem to think their 4wd trucks can compensate for their raw stupidity...

A couple years ago, I drove the Pontiac (G8 GT) on a day that was supposed to be cold and clear. It ended up snowing and sleeting while I was at work and I got to drive home in it. I had very little trouble in my overpowered rwd (aside from stop lights, where it would go sideways at a dead stop if you forgot to put it in neutral :lol: ), but almost died a few times because of crazy impatient people in 4wds who thought they could go around me and lost control. Good times...

I was driving home (slowly) a few years ago during a whiteout in very deep snow when a guy in a Jeep zoomed by me. About 2 km later, I saw him on the side of the road, having clearly lost control. Then about 10 minutes later, he passed me again! It’s good that he was okay and able to get back on the road, but he obviously didn’t learn anything from the process. :|