Which lifting program is the best for you?

Replies

• rainingribbons
    rainingribbons Posts: 1,051 Member
    Did you gain much strength from Strong Curves for upper body too? Asking because I'm debating starting StrongLifts 5x5 but I don't have the strength to do much with just the bar (weakling, I know). So I was thinking of starting Strong Curves instead to build to a baseline where I can do StrongLifts properly once Strong Curves is complete. However, if Strong Curves is mostly booty-based, I'm worried I won't have the upper body strength when it comes to do StrongLifts after.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Did you gain much strength from Strong Curves for upper body too? Asking because I'm debating starting StrongLifts 5x5 but I don't have the strength to do much with just the bar (weakling, I know). So I was thinking of starting Strong Curves instead to build to a baseline where I can do StrongLifts properly once Strong Curves is complete. However, if Strong Curves is mostly booty-based, I'm worried I won't have the upper body strength when it comes to do StrongLifts after.

You're going to end up doing the same lifts as StrongLifts with SC, but in different rep ranges. It's a solid full body program.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    I’ve been spreading it because it’s awesome. Good job. ^^^^

Interestingly enough, I posted in this section because that question was asked in here more than any other section. But if there is a concern, I can always get it stickied in F&E as well.
  • syedsaad
    syedsaad Posts: 156 Member
    What program should be used by someone who is trying to lose weight. (I understand lifting weights don't make you lose weight calorie deficit does)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Pick any of the beginner programmes listed that fits your ability, time schedule, and equipment available that will allow you to progress.
    You will gain strength.
    Cheers, h.
  • psuLemon
    syedsaad wrote: »
    What program should be used by someone who is trying to lose weight. (I understand lifting weights don't make you lose weight calorie deficit does)

Have you lifted before? If so, how long? Do you have goals outside of weight loss?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited January 2018
    Just wanted to write about PHAT and PH3 because I ran them recently.

In my more novice days I ran PHUL. I suggest always starting with that because you are going to progress in those 4 days with enough volume.

I ran PHAT this summer without the squats because I had a bulging disk. It is the BEST I have ever looked in my life. The volume is amazing. The workouts are fun. Highly suggest it.

If you like powerlifting and want a shitton of volume, and you're not a beginner, PH3 is the *kitten*. You can get your hands on some good excel sheets for the program and plug your 1rms in. There are AMRAP days every few weeks and the program will adjust your 1 rm. There's an accumulation block to get used to the volume, intermediate block, intensity block, and a taper.

Typical PHAT week
    Day 1: Squat, Bench, Deadlift
    Day 2: Upper hypertrophy
    Day 3 Squat, Bench, Legs
    Day 4: Rest
    Day 5: Deadlift, Bench, Upper hypertrophy
    Day 6: Squat, legs

I am basically runny a powerlifting meet prep that's a combination of this and my own DUP. Love it.

Don't love Layne as much anymore tho

ETA: I was gaining weight while I ran these program. Pretty much just eating what I wanted. But the volume and progressive overload was so outstanding, I'm pretty excited to see what's under the fat.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    syedsaad wrote: »

Weight training to do during fat loss - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

But to counter that direction, if more calories burned isn't needed for adhering to your deficit level - many find the increased BMR from repairing damage done from heavy low-rep is good enough.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    I have been lifting on and off for four years. I did Stronglifts then the beginner Strong Curves program from September 2016 to September 2017, then stopped lifting. Should I start back up with a beginner or intermediate program?
  • psuLemon
    I have been lifting on and off for four years. I did Stronglifts then the beginner Strong Curves program from September 2016 to September 2017, then stopped lifting. Should I start back up with a beginner or intermediate program?

If you want to regain the strength, you could always run the program for 3 or 4 months and then reevaluate your progress.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

If you want to regain the strength, you could always run the program for 3 or 4 months and then reevaluate your progress.

So do a beginner program to get back where I was, then see where I am? That sounds like a good plan.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon wrote: »

So do a beginner program to get back where I was, then see where I am? That sounds like a good plan.

Yep. Your strength gains will come back fairly quickly. So as you begin plateauing, you can then evaluating a switch
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Needs a bump. h.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Needs a bump. h.

Good call.
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    I have a question if anyone could answer it I'd appreciate it, It's probably a dumb question but I'm trying to figure out how much I should be lifting, I want to lift heavy but I'm not exactly sure how heavy is heavy if that makes sense. I have a pair of 5lbs I know these are not heavy, a pair of 10lbs and one 16 pound weight. I just got the 10 lbs and I'm struggling with them(yes, I know I'm very weak), but at the same time, I'm wondering if they are heavy enough.

How do you know what's heavy enough? From what I've read you should be able to perform at least 6 reps without losing form but you're supposed to struggle right?