Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    Cant wait to start the Lush February thread...

....I kid I kid

:D

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

....I kid I kid

:D
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Day 16 done. Easier for me because I abstaining. Moderation is not my middle name. Same here @NormInv - I developed the taste for alcohol slowly and have many mornings of deep regret.

I do think there must be some genetic component for alcoholism. Growing up in a Russian family, I would see older relatives finish a whole bottle of Absolut at family functions. One bottle per person! Most of my first cousins are alcoholics. Three have died in their 50s from heart attacks, and they were alcoholics. My cousins are very loving and have hearts of gold, but it's all we saw growing up.
    I've had mornings where I experienced brown outs and maybe black outs the night before, wondering what the hell did I do or say last night. I can't remember.
    So for now, I want to try life without it and see how differently I can cope with stress and hard times. I'm really excited at how my body and mind are changing after only 16 days, Already I feel calmer and less moody. Hope everyone is doing well on their journey. I love learning and growing with you all. Xo

I am soooo happy for you!!!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Hubby and I went for pizza last night (as you can see we go out to eat OFTEN) LOL! I was proud that I didnt get any beer. Pizza and Beer goes hand in hand like Peanut butter and Jelly. But I totally passed and had water. Sooooooo proud of myself. I hate the feeling of temptation though and the internal struggle to drink or not to drink.

Great job avoiding a great pairing of food and drink. Little by little, we are growing stronger. Proud of you!
  • RubyRed427
    Options

....I kid I kid

Funny guy!

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options

....I kid I kid

Ha!
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Feeling a bit discourage my b/f for the last three days has gotten $h!tfaced and missed work for partying (being hungover) while I have been good and going to bed. I know I use to be the same but its tempting to cave when he is drinking and join him. But at the same time I am so disappointed in his actions. (missing work... really)

1/1-drank
    1/2-no-hungover (at work)- over ate
    1/3-no
    1/4-no
    1/5-drank
    1/6-no
    1/7-drank
    1/8 no
    1/9 no
    1/10 no
    1/11 drank
    1/12 drank
    1/13 drank
    1/14 no
    1/15 no
    1/16 no- dont plan to

37.5% - enjoying keeping this percentage talley keeps me motivated to lower it or just see it not rise

My goal is 1 less beer a night, I'm holding about 50% (every other night). You are doing great! Keep it up!
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    Glad it is a new day. Have been under horrible stress with work, one of my children's work schedules and now my Dad can't get an operation because he has blockages in his heart at the age of 80. Well new goals today.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I just saw this thread. Today is my 7th day alcohol free. I've tried to moderate for years, but only ended up right back to (or more) than the last amount of alcohol I stopped at. I learned that abstinence is the only road for me.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    I don't really have any tips for avoiding alcohol. For me it is just knowing that I'm an alcoholic. I know that probably isn't the case for the majority of you. But the only way I found that I could avoid it was to admit that first to myself and then to my loved ones (because I knew I needed a support system in place). Realizing that the road I was on wasn't leading anywhere good and changing course was my only option. I tried cutting back for years and I always ended up right back where I started, so I just had to admit that wasn't working for me and figure out what would- quitting for good.

Even though we don't all have the same goals when it comes to alcohol I really enjoy talking with you guys about my struggles and successes. I love that we all hold no judgement whatsoever. Whether you are in control and just want to cut down a little or a lot, or whether you struggle with control like me, you can get to where you want to be if you just focus on one day and one step at a time. Celebrate your victories and move on from your setbacks.

I sound so cheesy. But I do mean it.

I am quitting too. 3 days now and counting. Going to my first AA meeting tonight. No more "I will just have a little" and no more, "I'll quit for a while then start back slowly"...nope, nothing has worked. I have to quit for good. OMG, can I do this. I will do my best.

You'll have to let us know about your meeting and if you liked it. A few days ago, a lady posted on this thread about AA and her experiences. It was fascinating to read. Best wishes!
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    @MaryBethHempel I love your updates, in particular the one today! You are inspiring!

I am doing well abstaining and my hubby is very supportive of whatever I want to do...dry or damp for January, and to continue afterwards if I want. He does drink craft beers, but very moderately. Only 1 or 2 per night, and not every night of the week. It doesn't bother me at all that he has a beer or two while I'm abstaining, which I thought at first it might. I've found that with changing my habit of settling down in the evening with a glass of wine, along with having read This Naked Mind, the desire to have any alcohol at all is pretty much gone at this point.

I'm curious if you all have the support of others in your life while you are doing the dry or damp January? This thread is tremendously inspiring, but I'm finding it very helpful to also have the love and encouragement from my hubby as well.

Hi, it is nice to have support from here on MFP and yes, I do have support from my husband, family, and friends. Although yesterday was a bit interesting when my hubby just bottle a bunch of wine and said to me, "Taste this, it is better than the usual Concord that we make". I told him immediately that I was just drinking green tea and it wouldn't taste good. I was so glad that I was drinking tea, as I would have been tempted to taste it. I feel that if it happens again that I am prepared now and will decline. I am going to tell him today not even to ask me to taste. :)

• Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Day 16 done. Easier for me because I abstaining. Moderation is not my middle name. Same here @NormInv - I developed the taste for alcohol slowly and have many mornings of deep regret.

I do think there must be some genetic component for alcoholism. Growing up in a Russian family, I would see older relatives finish a whole bottle of Absolut at family functions. One bottle per person! Most of my first cousins are alcoholics. Three have died in their 50s from heart attacks, and they were alcoholics. My cousins are very loving and have hearts of gold, but it's all we saw growing up.
    I've had mornings where I experienced brown outs and maybe black outs the night before, wondering what the hell did I do or say last night. I can't remember.
    So for now, I want to try life without it and see how differently I can cope with stress and hard times. I'm really excited at how my body and mind are changing after only 16 days, Already I feel calmer and less moody. Hope everyone is doing well on their journey. I love learning and growing with you all. Xo

I'm no scientist but there is definitely a genetic component. That's not to say all alcoholics come from alcoholic families, nor are you guaranteed to be an alcoholic if it runs in your family. But like many diseases, there is a higher chance. It runs in my family on both sides, so I really have to be careful.

• MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Goal — January under 7 drinks a week- for my health.....my mind.....my body....Freedom from alcohol ruling my life!

1/1 =alcohol free
    1/2 = 4 wine spritzers
    1/3 =alcohol free
    1/4 =alcohol free
    1/5 =alcohol free while my husband must of drank almost 2 bottles of wine....I wasn't tempted, which was great!
    1/6 =alcohol free while my husband must of drank almost 2 bottles of wine
    1/7 =alcohol free while my husband must of drank almost 2 bottles of wine-I copy and paste! Rerun! :) I feel that now I don't even want one drink as it is never enough...I always want more! I will see how long I can be FREE from alcohol. Losing weight and feeling great!
    1/8 =DITTO...I slept better last night--had an Atkins bar around 8...maybe that was it...I also had to go to my guest room again for my husbands snoring started again! :)
    1/9 =DITTO and lost another pound---Wow! 7 days alcohol FREE!! This is the longest I have gone for years!
    1/10 =8 days freedom
    1/11 =9 days freedom- looking forward to reading my new books...This Naked Mind and Blackout-Remembering The Things I Drank to Forget...
    1/12 =10 days clean! My hubby only drank during the day, not last night. He didn't snore last night, so I didn't have to go to our guest room to sleep. Read the first 2 1/2 chapters of This Naked Mind and finding it interesting.
    1/13 =11 Days freedom! It is actually getting easier at this point...I just ordered some liver detox....
    1/14 =12 Days freedom! It really helps to have all you on MFP for support! Thank you all!! :)
    1/15 =13 days---Wow! I am finally sleeping in my own bed now because my husband cuts off his drinking at night and he doesn't snore so loud to make me go into our guest room! LOL! He didn't like me going into the guest room, so he cut down... :)
    1/16 =14 days freedom! 2 weeks!! YAY! I have to note how yesterday was a bit interesting when my hubby just bottle a bunch of wine and said to me, "Taste this, it is better than the usual Concord that we make". I told him immediately that I was just drinking green tea and it wouldn't taste good. I was so glad that I was drinking tea, as I would have been tempted to taste it. I feel that if it happens again that I am prepared now and will decline. I am going to tell him today not even to ask me to taste. :)

1/17 =
    1/18 =
    1/19 =
    1/20 =
    1/21 =
    1/22 =
    1/23 =
    1/24 =
    1/25 =
    1/26 =
    1/27 =
    1/28 =