Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    machchic wrote: »
    NormInv wrote: »
    Today is Day 8 of dry January and I am doing OK. My resting heart rate is down from 75 to 60 (this happened over a month since i cut back on alcohol in December). I replaced it with La Croix and teas

I have a fitbit and when I drink and don't work out my HR is resting is pushing 75, not drinking (2 out of 8 only in January so far) I am already down to 68. Add exercise and few more weeks I will seen it get to 58. (I have done it before)

I was shocked to see the drop in RHR, thought my fitbit wasnt working but Google says its very possible.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    Today is Day 8 of dry January and I am doing OK. My resting heart rate is down from 75 to 60 (this happened over a month since i cut back on alcohol in December). I replaced it with La Croix and teas. Only real temptation happened on Friday after work but havent thought about it much. I have so much extra alert time in the evenings and calorie room to eat more foods...

Sleep was an issue and still is a bit.....Chamomile tea really helps with that

I love La Croix as well. Great work! It gets a little easier every day I think. I'm on Day 8, too. This Friday, I will have to be as strong as steel. Going out with friends who love to drink. We're going to a bar to hear a band. I will resist drinking however. Don't want to break my streak!

Take a couple of La Croix with you, you can do it, stay strong! Lets see what happens on Jan 31
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    machchic wrote: »
    Today is Day 8 of dry January and I am doing OK. My resting heart rate is down from 75 to 60 (this happened over a month since i cut back on alcohol in December). I replaced it with La Croix and teas

I have a fitbit and when I drink and don't work out my HR is resting is pushing 75, not drinking (2 out of 8 only in January so far) I am already down to 68. Add exercise and few more weeks I will seen it get to 58. (I have done it before)

I was shocked to see the drop in RHR, thought my fitbit wasnt working but Google says its very possible.

Exactly my experience, as per my earlier post, my resting/sleeping heart rate, and changes in deep sleep as measured by apple watch.
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options

I love La Croix as well. Great work! It gets a little easier every day I think. I'm on Day 8, too. This Friday, I will have to be as strong as steel. Going out with friends who love to drink. We're going to a bar to hear a band. I will resist drinking however. Don't want to break my streak!

I love La Croix too - I also need to be strong this weekend. We’re going to a wedding reception at a brewery on Saturday. My husband is thrilled I’ll be the DD :)
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Reading This Naked Mind provides a lot of valuable information, and additional motivation. I do not agree, however, that people cannot tell the difference tasting cheap wine and good wine. But I do know from previous experiences (with short periods of leaving wine alone) that often wine I used to like doesn't taste good, at first.

Me too! I read that and thought ok maybe not the difference between a 20 dollar bottle and a 40 dollar bottle but good wine is amazing. I will be curious about my taste buds when dry Jan is over. I would really like to drink better quality in much smaller quantity and frequency when the month is up.
    [/quote]

Very Interesting...We make our own wine which is good wine, which can be a temptation at times.
  • MaryBethHempel
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    No heartburn now for like 6 days, lol. That's enough reason to abstain by itself! Day 7 for me, a whole week! My weekend went by without a hitch and I'm feeling really good.

Yes! Being heartburn free is a hugely overlooked benefit!

The heartburn is the whole reason I decided to cut back, it gets SO bad... My boyfriend never gets it so he doesn't understand at all how painful it can be.

I ended up on medication last year from drinking mainly red wine. My esophagus and stomach were getting ulcerated. I changed to drinking white wine mostly...and now since I am even hardly drinking the white wine, I am going to go back to the doctor and see if I can stop the Nexium and Gaviscon...
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

I ended up on medication last year from drinking mainly red wine. My esophagus and stomach were getting ulcerated. I changed to drinking white wine mostly...and now since I am even hardly drinking the white wine, I am going to go back to the doctor and see if I can stop the Nexium and Gaviscon...

That's one of my big worries. I know all that reflux is doing damage and that I shouldn't just ignore it, even though I usually do.
  • MaryBethHempel
    Options
    cnowicki2 wrote: »
    Coming up on 4 years of continuous sobriety. Life gets easier the longer you go without, although you may deal with many of the emotions you never dealt with while you were drinking.... I guess I was meaning physically. Emotionally, you might go a bit out of it. But work through it, listen to some nice podcasts, possibly go to a couple meetings in your area that suit your needs. Counseling helps loads too. Finding friends in the sober community is important as well. Listen to the voice inside you that wants the best for you, and run with it.

Thank you so much for your valuable insight. That is so helpful to hear. I feel different even after seven days- less anxious, happier, energetic. I have a few social events coming up so I am very worried that I will not fail myself.

We appreciate your encouragement and advice on this board. Four years is an amazing accomplishment. Feel free to add any other advice for all of us when you feel like it.

Wow...4 years!! Yeah, yesterday was a bit difficult for me...I had some family circumstances from multiple angles that were frustrating, aggravating, scary, emotional, and created a lot of tension in me....I had to work through it all and used many methods, but not the drink...It was liberating after hours to know that I managed it and was fine.
  • MaryBethHempel
    Options
    Goal — January under 7 drinks a week- for my health.....my mind.....my body....Freedom from alcohol ruling my life!

1/1 =alcohol free
    1/2 = 4 wine spritzers
    1/3 =alcohol free
    1/4 =alcohol free
    1/5 =alcohol free while my husband must of drank almost 2 bottles of wine....I wasn't tempted, which was great!
    1/6 =alcohol free while my husband must of drank almost 2 bottles of wine
    1/7 =alcohol free while my husband must of drank almost 2 bottles of wine-I copy and paste! Rerun! :) I feel that now I don't even want one drink as it is never enough...I always want more! I will see how long I can be FREE from alcohol. Losing weight and feeling great!
    1/8 =DITTO...I slept better last night--had an Atkins bar around 8...maybe that was it...I also had to go to my guest room again for my husbands snoring started again! :)
    1/9 =
    1/10 =
    1/11 =
    1/12 =
    1/13 =
    1/14 =
    1/15 =
    1/16 =
    1/17 =
    1/18 =
    1/19 =
    1/20 =
    1/21 =
    1/22 =
    1/23 =
    1/24 =
    1/25 =
    1/26 =
    1/27 =
    1/28 =
    1/29 =
    1/30 =
    1/31
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Alcohol-free for me again yesterday! I’m in the last pages of This Naked Mind. The book is a game-changer, and I highly recommend reading it. Even if you don’t intend on abstaining, I feel it provides insight and information on alcohol that is interesting and useful. Plus, it’a a pretty fast read so won’t take more than a few evenings to read the entire book.

Good luck to everyone today with achieving your goals!