Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,177 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    cnowicki2 wrote: »
    Coming up on 4 years of continuous sobriety. Life gets easier the longer you go without, although you may deal with many of the emotions you never dealt with while you were drinking.... I guess I was meaning physically. Emotionally, you might go a bit out of it. But work through it, listen to some nice podcasts, possibly go to a couple meetings in your area that suit your needs. Counseling helps loads too. Finding friends in the sober community is important as well. Listen to the voice inside you that wants the best for you, and run with it.

Thank you so much for your valuable insight. That is so helpful to hear. I feel different even after seven days- less anxious, happier, energetic. I have a few social events coming up so I am very worried that I will not fail myself.

We appreciate your encouragement and advice on this board. Four years is an amazing accomplishment. Feel free to add any other advice for all of us when you feel like it.
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a hard one for me. Drinking is part of by job, I work at a boutique wine & craft beer shop. We don't offer sampling, but several times a week sales reps come in with multiple samples. Those days I have to skip breakfast & lunch just to stay on target.

Normally I can polish off a whole bottle of wine a night. Comfortably, without sleep problems or headaches I stick to 450 ml a day or less.

This doesn't even address the high gravity/calorie beers that I am supposed to be familiar with. I have to buy those to sample myself and if I pay $15 for a 12oz barrel aged beer, I am not swishing & spitting or pouring it down the drain.

Im in a similar boat. Working at a distributor we sample beer several times a week. Last week a lot of people were off so it was a breeze. But im worried with this Fridays meeting it will be flowing. Gonna have to try just a sip and drain pour the rest...
  • jenifer7teen
    jenifer7teen Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Tea or sparkling water is obviously best "substitute" since it's calorie free.... but this is closer to the feeling of drinking wine for me:

Just Cranberry

It's tart so you drink it slowly, 70 calories in 8 ounces so you can pour 2 wine glasses' worth. Oh, and it's red too! Haha

Its also kind of pricey ($8) but frequently goes on sale for half of that at Sprouts.

https://www.rwknudsenfamily.com/products/single-fruit-juices/organic-just-cranberry
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Im in!!
  • Warriormonk73
    Warriormonk73 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is one of my goals for 2018!
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think DAMP is the way for me to go, too. I caved and had a 5 oz glass last night. Maybe once the open bottle is gone dry might be easier.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    mkdm291 wrote: »
    I was 5 days in and for me, that is a HUGE victory. On Saturday my phone rang. One of my friends lost her husband unexpectedly and suddenly (we are only in our early 40's). My heart was aching for her while I tried to comprehend my life without my husband.
    As I sat on the couch with my husband by my side, we both had an IPA beer. At that moment I was not thinking "Oh, I am messing up my challenge". Rather, I was thinking "I am so blessed to have him next to me and I am going to enjoy every moment of this".
    So... one beer in 7 days. I still see that as a victory.
    And a lesson: While we are all working super hard and changing ourselves for the better... and that is HUGELY important.... We can't let it blind us from the positive and wonderful people and events in our lives. Life is too short and can change too unexpectedly.
    With that.... Good luck in week 2.

So sorry for your friend. And I know you will be mourning with her and helping her. Yes, you are right. We need to just enjoy the moment with our loved ones.

A few months ago, I told an acquaintance about my son who changed his major to something else. I was worried about the practicality of his new major. Anyways.... My friend just looked at me and said "Lighten up , Julie." He was so right. That stuck in my brain for all these months. Going on to Day 8. Feeling quite energetic and refreshed. Today, got a big surprise : A snow day. So, no work for me. Will just read THE book we all like and chill.
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    @MaryBethHempel thanks for your kind words above.
    Bravo to you! Despite temptation of your hubby drinking , you didn't budge from your resolve. Freedom is a perfect word. In fact, instead of writing any resolutions the year I chose one word to sum up my goals- it is FREEDOM. What a coincidence you used that word today in your post. I want to be free from addiction , people pleasing and so much more. Xoxo

Yes we put ourselves in many self defeating paths which is crazy when you analyse completely. Life can be full of excitement and fulfillment if we let it! :) Xoxo
  • MaryBethHempel
    Options
    It's a snow covered, cold winter day. Drinking coffee in bed and reading This Naked Mind. I am on the chapter that discusses all the harm the poison alcohol does to our heart, brain and liver. And more. If this chapter doesnt scare me straight, nothing will. I want to write my body a heartfelt apology letter for the 25 years of slow poisoning:) I want to thank it for getting me this far relatively healthy. I want to do better for it. Xo

I just told my hubby to add the book to our Nook...He doesn't realize what it is yet, but will when he orders it. He will be able to read it too...so this will be great for both of us.
  • RubyRed427
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Reading a blog about cravings on the Dry January app. Will attach a screen shot. A craving typically lasts 6 minutes, so if we can find alternatives for just six minutes, we can resist. I know that I went for a walk the other day during an intense craving. I also took all my favorite wine bottles down to the basement. Hopefully, out of sight out of mind.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    r4zv8f7jvkyy.png
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @MaryBethHempel You are strong! Good for you! Even though the temptation is around you, you resisted. Cheering for you! Xoxo
  • MaryBethHempel
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    Well, this is Day 7, but it's 2:35 a.m. and I have not been able to get to sleep. In the past, good sleep has been a great perk of abstaining from alcohol. This time, for some weird reason, my brain will not turn off. I've finally given up, gotten out of bed, read posts here, and will now do the Sunday NYT crossword on my computer. Any hints or advice would be MOST welcome. I'm drinking herbal tea at bedtime, but you can't know how tempting it is to knock myself out with wine when I lie in bed from 11:30 to 2:30 without sleep. Well, I guess most of you can know. I am celebrating 7 days, but this sleep stuff has got to get fixed! I'm kind of afraid to take melatonin or anything else because I tend to have paradoxical reactions to stuff. For example, I once took Nyquil and was up literally all night. Didn't sleep one minute and had to go teach the next morning. Never again. I mentioned in an earlier post that I do have a prescription for Xanax that I only take when I fly. I think that would knock me out, but I'm resisting subbing one drug for another. I'm grateful for this group so I have somewhere to moan and groan if needed.

Melatonin might help. It’s not a medication it’s actually a hormone your body naturally produces. I too can’t take NyQuil. Just take 3 mg about 30 minutes before bed. Sleep is all about expectation, you’ll definitely get back on track- do some meditation / relaxation before bed too that helps! (I suffered with really bad insomnia for a year so I know) - my favorite thing to do when I can’t sleep is either make up a story, or redecorate my house in my head. Taking my mind off “I can’t sleep” is what helps me nod off. But truly don’t worry, periods of insomnia are soooo common. You’ll be back to good sleep in no time.

I am having the same problem and what is making it worse is that I hear my husband snoring, which didn't bother me when I drank wine. So now I end up going to the guest room in the night after he starts snoring. Then I pray and listen to some relaxation tapes which help me sleep. I toss and turn all night though, so I am not getting a deep sleep. I figure it is going to take awhile for my body to get adjusted. I use the time when awake to think and plan. I am going to start reading tonight though...that will help me. We are going to get "The Naked Mind" on Nook....so that will be my reading tonight...
  • MaryBethHempel
    Options
    lisahikes wrote: »
    islandbeez wrote: »
    I love that app Dry January. I wonder what the app is that keeps track of hours. I love seeing that count. I Love reading all your posts. Everyday, i wake up and grab my phone to read. I read it in the evening to keep away from the wine. I am so happy to be part of this journey with all of you.

mnlh2fu4823v.png

I found this app called Sober Time, you can have it count in breaths, heartbeats, seconds...etc. I like it so far. The counter feels so motivating! I am also listening to This Naked Mind and almost finished reading Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget by Sarah Hepola....both are really hitting home.

Happy Sunday, everyone!

I have this app too, though I use it for smoking! I'm at 75ish days or so for that. As far as drinking goes, I used to be an every-day drinker, but since the turn of the year I've had alcohol 2 days out of 7, which for me is ASTOUNDING. I've really enjoyed getting a full night's rest!

Have to check these out...getting the Naked Mind on Nook today!
  • MaryBethHempel
    Options
    lisahikes wrote: »
    islandbeez wrote: »
    I love that app Dry January. I wonder what the app is that keeps track of hours. I love seeing that count. I Love reading all your posts. Everyday, i wake up and grab my phone to read. I read it in the evening to keep away from the wine. I am so happy to be part of this journey with all of you.

mnlh2fu4823v.png

I found this app called Sober Time, you can have it count in breaths, heartbeats, seconds...etc. I like it so far. The counter feels so motivating! I am also listening to This Naked Mind and almost finished reading Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget by Sarah Hepola....both are really hitting home.

Happy Sunday, everyone!

I have this app too, though I use it for smoking! I'm at 75ish days or so for that. As far as drinking goes, I used to be an every-day drinker, but since the turn of the year I've had alcohol 2 days out of 7, which for me is ASTOUNDING. I've really enjoyed getting a full night's rest!

I found another app on my tablet...that I can use: Sobriety Counter-stop drinking: and getting The Naked Mind today...will check out Blackout: Remembering....