Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Goal — January under 7 drinks a week- for my health.....my mind.....my body....Freedom from alcohol ruling my life!

1/1 =alcohol free
    1/2 = 4 wine spritzers
    1/3 =alcohol free
    1/4 =alcohol free
    1/5 =alcohol free while my husband must of drank almost 2 bottles of wine....I wasn't tempted, which was great!
    1/6 =alcohol free while my husband must of drank almost 2 bottles of wine
    1/7 =alcohol free while my husband must of drank almost 2 bottles of wine-I copy and paste! Rerun! :) I feel that now I don't even want one drink as it is never enough...I always want more! I will see how long I can be FREE from alcohol. Losing weight and feeling great!
    1/8 =DITTO...I slept better last night--had an Atkins bar around 8...maybe that was it...I also had to go to my guest room again for my husbands snoring started again! :)
    1/9 =DITTO and lost another pound---Wow! 7 days alcohol FREE!! This is the longest I have gone for years!
    1/10 =8 days freedom
    1/11 =9 days freedom- looking forward to reading my new books...This Naked Mind and Blackout-Remembering The Things I Drank to Forget...
    1/12 =
    1/13 =
    1/14 =
    1/15 =
    1/16 =
    1/17 =
    1/18 =
    1/19 =
    1/20 =
    1/21 =
    1/22 =
    1/23 =
    1/24 =
    1/25 =
    1/26 =
    1/27 =
    1/28 =
    1/29 =
    1/30 =
    1/31
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Wow, @marybethhempel. That is amazing. Great job. And bless your heart for accomplishing that while your husband is still drinking a lot of wine right beside you. That is really impressive!

Thank you! I appreciate your encouragement! :)
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    2 down - 48 to go to hit my goal.
  • ulcaster555
    ulcaster555 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Been wanting to cut down for months now and not doing to good, stopping during the week was my first goal that was a bust.
  • my3boys424
    my3boys424 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This may have been posted already, but I’m reading “Happier Hour” right now. It’s about a woman’s journey to give up alcohol. It’s a good read.
  • slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Try alcoholexperiment.com it’s part of Annie Grace Naked Mind, however, you set off on a 30 day journey to be free. You get a daily email with a ‘lesson’. It really breaks the book down into chunks. If you set yourself off, time it for when you’d be most likely to drink, that way you can distract yourself with the email! It’s free.
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Alpha12 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I caved last night and had some wine. It wasn't worth it, and I'm disappointed with myself this morning. However, for some reason, I slept like a rock. I guess I'm back to day 1 today. I'm not giving up trying to quit. Congrats to those that are more successful than I am.

This is a valuable insight.

• kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Day 12 begins. So far, so good. I feel like I'm out of the habit now and don't really think about wine much at this point. I get the Dry January app messages every day. Today they had a link to the World Cancer Research Fund, which had an interesting factsheet, called A Closer Look at Alcohol. It talks about alcohol's links to cancer, and as someone who's at high risk for breast cancer, it was eye opening. It also talks about all the benefits of cutting out alcohol. Friday inspiration going into the weekend!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Also, I’m using the Dry January app and it says that I’ve saved $54 dollars so far this month - yay!

I've been putting the money I save into our emergency fund. One of our resolutions was to get that baby beefed up this year, so this is really helping. Very satisfying to pitch the money in there!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,170 Member
    Options
    Alpha12 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I caved last night and had some wine. It wasn't worth it, and I'm disappointed with myself this morning. However, for some reason, I slept like a rock. I guess I'm back to day 1 today. I'm not giving up trying to quit. Congrats to those that are more successful than I am.

That's ok. We all stumble sometimes. You're back to Day 1 and we are all here rooting for you! xoxo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Try alcoholexperiment.com it’s part of Annie Grace Naked Mind, however, you set off on a 30 day journey to be free. You get a daily email with a ‘lesson’. It really breaks the book down into chunks. If you set yourself off, time it for when you’d be most likely to drink, that way you can distract yourself with the email! It’s free.

Thanks so much for sharing this! I will check it out. I like daily lessons- keeps me motivated:)
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Been wanting to cut down for months now and not doing to good, stopping during the week was my first goal that was a bust.

Try for a moderate weekend then:) Just keep trying. Cheering for you!
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    This morning in my hotel room I flipped on GMA and there was a woman reporting on her Dry January. She commented on how her skin has improved. Mine too but I didn’t associate it with alcohol. A dr. confirmed that alcohol dries out skin and hair. Another plus to not drinking.
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My first big challenge is this weekend. We have a wedding reception at a brewery! Luckily beer isn’t my weakness - but it will still be weird to not drink at a wedding. My husband is thrilled I’m the DD since it’s a two hour drive from us. I’m actually curious about how I’ll feel and the conversations I’ll have without a buzz
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Day 12 of no wine here! Feeling good, I did wake up with a headache today which is disappointing since I didn't even get to enjoy wine lol. It's probably from my TMJ, maybe all my headaches weren't always from the wine I drank the night before...

I've been doing boot camp classes 5-6 days a week, saving hundreds of calories a day in wine, and eating less and better. I have 10-15 pounds I want to lose and haven't lost any yet. That is discouraging, hope I get some other benefits soon. I'll keep on going, trying to be patient. I want to at least have a dry January and was hoping to be down about 5 pounds this month.

I love reading everyone's posts every day!
  • fitmommy575
    fitmommy575 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It has been 6 days for me, but today is Friday.

Hoping I can fight the craving for wine tonight. So far I am confident but when evening hits I know it will be on my mind. I guess I have to focus on how awesome I feel and try to push through the weekend. It was easier than I thought this week.. wish me luck