Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    Back home from vacation as of last night, and I stayed away from the wine! I didn't have any during the 9 days we were away, and now that we are home, my challenge will be to not settle back into old routines. During vacation I started a new habit of having a cup of tea in the evenings instead, and it's been working out great. I even find myself thinking about, and looking forward to, my tea rather than a glass of wine.

On another positive note, I lost 3 pounds while we were away :smiley:

Hope you all had a successful (whatever that means to you!) Saturday night!

That is awesome! 9 days of vacationing without wine - great accomplishment. Yes, I assume we are rewiring our brain with all the tea we're all drinking. Congrats! The weight loss of 3 pounds while on vacation just has to be all the calories saved from wine. No one every loses on vacation:)
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    But must say that these 13 days have felt like 30 ! This month is going really slow.

@JulieAL1969 - Way to go. I know exactly what you mean about 13 days feeling like 30. I think we all have those patterns that have burrowed way down into brains that tell us "I always have a glass of wine when I X" (go out on Saturday night, sit down to watch TV, hang out at a bar with friends, whatever). And those connections are hard to break because we've "perfected" those habits over lots of years. At this point, I feel like I'm almost halfway there and I would be super pissed at myself if I gave up, so I refuse to. I just keep asking myself what my plan is before I get into one of those drinking situations. What will I drink instead? How will I handle it? I really try to picture myself there and what drink is actually in my hand. Tonight I think my husband and I are going to our favorite happy hour place and I'm going to try a semi-fancy virgin drink, like a nojito and see how that goes. I've heard they're tasty and you don't even miss the booze! I'm sure it will help me to find something to drink other than tea and diet gingerale, which are my mainstays.

Day 14, everybody. We've got this. Almost halfway there.

I Like the word "nohito". I never heard of that. You gave me some good ideas. I'll be out tonight and was thinking I'd drink club soda, but a fancy alcohol free drink would be even better. And then I'll go back to club soda for less calories. I agree that now that we are nearly half way to 31, I don't want to ruin all the hard work and diligent decisions I've made so far by drinking. Congratulations on your success!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    robsgurl wrote: »
    I am doing that this year. The last time I had anything alcoholic to drink was 1/4 glass of champagne on new years eve and before that I had not had a drink in a while. I plan on not drinking at all this year. I told my husband if I never drink alcohol again I would be fine..=)

I'm with you. My ultimate goal is to never drink again. And I am slowly seeing I can still have fun and enjoy life without it. In my head I call it a poison to resist.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    justlog wrote: »
    Day 13 - alcohol free. Now, it's getting easy. Today, I had no craving, but i did eat a few extra peppermint patties that I shouldn't have eaten. Probably trying to get a sugar fix somehow. Hope everyone is on a roll, too. I am living by a simple motto I got from that guy on alcohol mastery on youtube. He ends his videos with "and keep the alcohol out of your mouth."
    I'm convinced if I just take one sip, I will go down hill fast.
    Once i make it to 30 days, I'm shooting for another month alcohol free. But must say that these 13 days have felt like 30 ! This month is going really slow.

Awesome.. Remember.. I'm holding you to the Feb challenge! :)

I remember:) And I am so looking forward to two dry months. I just don't need it like I used to. For me, not waking up with a headache is worth all the effort. It is really a poison in my body; my body just isn't made for it. For others, I know it doesn't affect you as badly. And I am not preaching at all. But for me and my body is is toxic. The after affects made me suffer.
  • ThinGoldLineNS
    ThinGoldLineNS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I "fell off the dry wagon" Friday night. I had 2 ounces of Port.
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Tonight is going to be a tough challenge. Honestly it hasn’t been too difficult for me so far. But tonight I am going to a concert with an open bar. On top of that I have off work tomorrow so staying out and sleeping in are all there for me

Keep your fingers crossed for me
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Alpha12 wrote: »
    Good for you, Julie! You can do it. Take if from someone who succumbed to temptation last night - IT'S NOT WORTH IT for all the reasons you've listed as well as being dissapointed with oneself. Good luck!

No wine for me tonight. I'm starting over.

@Alpha12 I wanted to let you know that your post was helpful to me yesterday! We were on the road for ~10 hours, and I briefly thought about what it would be like to have a glass of wine after we got home. I remembered your post and had a very nice & relaxing cup of tea instead!

Thank you for posting that!
  • Tygirl2016
    Tygirl2016 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've been lurking, but doing this challenge along with ya'll. Haven't had a drink since New Year's Eve. I've had 2 cravings. Each time I had a Cran-Grape in a wine glass...took care of the craving. Posting because I've lost a whole inch off my gut in these two weeks which is unheard of for me 9 months into my weight loss journey (could be the planks I started doing, too). But, I definitely notice an uptick in my energy levels! Anyone else notice any positive side effects?
  • nancy1013k
    nancy1013k Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just found this thread and also want to cut back on alcohol for health and weight reasons. Thanks for everyone's contributions to this post so far. I like the idea of cran-grape juice in a wine glass. Adding a little seltzer to it might be a treat, too.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Alpha12 wrote: »
    Good for you, Julie! You can do it. Take if from someone who succumbed to temptation last night - IT'S NOT WORTH IT for all the reasons you've listed as well as being dissapointed with oneself. Good luck!

No wine for me tonight. I'm starting over.

@Alpha12 I wanted to let you know that your post was helpful to me yesterday! We were on the road for ~10 hours, and I briefly thought about what it would be like to have a glass of wine after we got home. I remembered your post and had a very nice & relaxing cup of tea instead!

Thank you for posting that!

Fantastic! Thank you for letting me know and congrats on resisting the temptation to have the wine. It truly isn't worth it. :)
  • clindsey229
    clindsey229 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just found this thread, and will do the challenge with you. I love all the support you give each other.
  • machchic
    machchic Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Goal — January under 7 drinks a week- for my health.....my mind.....my body....Freedom from alcohol ruling my life!

1/1 =alcohol free
    1/2 = 4 wine spritzers
    1/3 =alcohol free
    1/4 =alcohol free
    1/5 =alcohol free while my husband must of drank almost 2 bottles of wine....I wasn't tempted, which was great!
    1/6 =alcohol free while my husband must of drank almost 2 bottles of wine
    1/7 =alcohol free while my husband must of drank almost 2 bottles of wine-I copy and paste! Rerun! :) I feel that now I don't even want one drink as it is never enough...I always want more! I will see how long I can be FREE from alcohol. Losing weight and feeling great!
    1/8 =DITTO...I slept better last night--had an Atkins bar around 8...maybe that was it...I also had to go to my guest room again for my husbands snoring started again! :)
    1/9 =DITTO and lost another pound---Wow! 7 days alcohol FREE!! This is the longest I have gone for years!
    1/10 =8 days freedom
    1/11 =9 days freedom- looking forward to reading my new books...This Naked Mind and Blackout-Remembering The Things I Drank to Forget...
    1/12 =10 days clean! My hubby only drank during the day, not last night. He didn't snore last night, so I didn't have to go to our guest room to sleep. Read the first 2 1/2 chapters of This Naked Mind and finding it interesting.
    1/13 =11 Days freedom! It is actually getting easier at this point...I just ordered some liver detox....
    1/14 =
    1/15 =
    1/16 =
    1/17 =
    1/18 =
    1/19 =
    1/20 =
    1/21 =
    1/22 =
    1/23 =
    1/24 =
    1/25 =
    1/26 =
    1/27 =
    1/28 =
    1/29 =
    1/30 =
    1/31

Marybeth-I would be interested in what you got, I wanted to try something to but didn't know where to start looking.
  • machchic
    machchic Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    Day 14 in the bag.....tomorrow is my birthday.....hard to not drink on your birthday eve but I am not gonna

Awesome job, and the best gift you can give yourself is a "no drink" think how great you will feel. Our bodies are thanking us every minute we are sober. Have a great birthday tomorrow. :):):):):):):):)