Millennials compared to your generation

Options

Replies

• Horndave22
    Horndave22 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Trade schools were more of an option to go into a specific field without having to spend an arm and a leg to go to a university.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    BR_549 wrote: »
    We don't look at our jobs the same way. It's a 2 to 3 year adventure then we're ready for the next one.

This is as much the employers fault as the generation's. Employers don't offer pensions anymore, or really any incentive for company loyalty.

What do you mean you don't want to work a minimum wage job that requires two degrees?!

You guys just have to start saying no. Minimalistic wages, part time hours and no benefits are the future for most workplaces, at least in the U.S. Stop going to college. Just stop until they make it worth your while again - meaning there has to be a reasonable return on your investment in the short and long run. Read Hemingway and Nietzsche in the bathtub independently if you want to get liberal artsy. Academe is an industry like any other and degrees are commodities no different than pork bellies. Any industry or service is boycottable and higher education needs some serious slap back.

whoooo! (how do you make the freaking cheering/whistle face, I can never figure that one out!)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    no no no, one of the smiley faces
  • CaptainFantastic00
    CaptainFantastic00 Posts: 4,619 Member
    Options
    eccomi_qui wrote: »
    I flirt by recording ten minute asmr videos and sending it to people to help them sleep and i was told this is veeeery millenial of me

What is an asmr video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb27NHO_ubg

This video makes me laugh

I hate you
  • eccomi_qui
    eccomi_qui Posts: 1,831 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I flirt by recording ten minute asmr videos and sending it to people to help them sleep and i was told this is veeeery millenial of me

What is an asmr video?

I hate you

Wait until I whisper in your ear tonight and nibble on your ear lobe
  • CaptainFantastic00
    CaptainFantastic00 Posts: 4,619 Member
    Options

What is an asmr video?

I hate you

Wait until I whisper in your ear tonight and nibble on your ear lobe

Standing at attention
  • Judithmendoza12
    Judithmendoza12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no respect for elders, want everything for free. Don't appreciate hard work. Drink waaaayyy too many energy drinks. Have mountains of debt and worthless degrees& don't know what taxes are. Thing is that I think this is all as a result of the first 3 things not being taught at a young age, we are too busy to teach them because we need a house that costs way too much and both parents need to work to pay for the house and everything they don't need. yup! about sums it up! I'm 25 and my parents disciplined me as a kid, got my first job at 14 cause my mom told me that by then If I wanted something I had to pay for it myself. Almost everyone younger than me has every single thing paid for by their parents. This is why they never leave home. 10 year olds have cell phones, bad idea. Also, I love coffee and avocado, but not together, thats weird.
  • eccomi_qui
    eccomi_qui Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no respect for elders, want everything for free. Don't appreciate hard work. Drink waaaayyy too many energy drinks. Have mountains of debt and worthless degrees& don't know what taxes are. Thing is that I think this is all as a result of the first 3 things not being taught at a young age, we are too busy to teach them because we need a house that costs way too much and both parents need to work to pay for the house and everything they don't need. yup! about sums it up! I'm 25 and my parents disciplined me as a kid, got my first job at 14 cause my mom told me that by then If I wanted something I had to pay for it myself. Almost everyone younger than me has every single thing paid for by their parents. This is why they never leave home. 10 year olds have cell phones, bad idea. Also, I love coffee and avocado, but not together, thats weird.

girl take a breath
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

This has not been my experience with millennials...

Also, a lot of millennials are older than you and have careers and families...

ETA: in my experience there's a substantial difference between millennials who are in their 30s and those that are in their teens or early to mid 20s...I don't even know how they are all considered to be of the same generation.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Oh she meant me, all those are me.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    - Respect your elders
    - Earn what you have
    - Have a good work ethic
    - Dont drink wayyyyy too many energy drinks
    - Avoid excess debt
    - Obtain a useful degree
    - Understand taxes

One of these things seems out of place in this list.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

I have never had an energy drink in my life

I was at a concession stand with a millennial parent at an early morning kids sports event - I ordered a black coffee, he ordered some type of Mt Dew energy drink (Kickstart?). I started laughing, "Is that for you or your kid?". The guy was in his mid-30s, it just struck me as odd he would still be drinking this type of stuff.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options

What is an asmr video?

I made it 32 seconds, that was beyond irritating, how could you

Autonomous sensory meridian response = asmr video.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Seems most parents shelter millennials from things and keep them from similar responsibilities youth in my days had.