Is Creatine Worth It ?

Options
I've been bulking since October, taking creatine monohydrate the whole time. I gained an initial 6ish lbs that first month and averaged 2 lbs each thereafter. I'm 5'5"ish, currently 137 lbs, goal is to bulk up to 145. I want to be in this for the long haul, but I'm wondering if the creatine is worth it. I feel like all my weight gain is in my belly (it's not, I've been measuring and am growing everywhere.. but I just feel so bloated all the time). Am I really getting anything out of taking creatine?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Hard to say. Are you recovering well from gym sessions and between sets? Can you obtain 1 or 2 more reps per set? If so, yes. The problem is there are so many things that impact an extra rep or 2 or recovery that it is hard to isolate creatine. I take it because it can't hurt and it's cheap and well documented in terms of safety. How much difference does it make? 2% maybe?
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    It's cheap and it's proven to work. Is it necessary? No. Will you make significant gains? No. If you're a good responder to creatine, you may get a 1-2% edge, that's it. It all depends on your budget, like I said, creatine isn't that expensive, but if you're dead broke, then don't get it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Have a read of this thread if you haven't already.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10324688/considering-creatine/p1

I have just started on it after lifting without it, im interested to see if it helps with recovery.

Cheers, h.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Have a read of this thread if you haven't already.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10324688/considering-creatine/p1

I have just started on it after lifting without it, im interested to see if it helps.

Cheers, h.

I already put my .02 in in the thread middlehaitch linked. It's cheap and won't hurt anything, so it's worth a try. Didn't do anything noticeable for me though.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I guess I just don't know if I can keep up the bulk with the extra bloat. For a 2% advantage, I don't know if I can handle it mentally. Bulking is such a mind f as it is.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Do you know if the bloat is from the creatine though?
    I can't remember reading anywhere that it did, it was one of my worries- just can't lift with bloating :)

I suppose you could go off it for a couple of months, see what effects there are, then decide to go back on if it is not causing the bloat but your lifts are suffering.

(Run an experiment and report back on it.)

Cheers, h.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    I can't remember reading anywhere that it did, it was one of my worries- just can't lift with bloating :)

I suppose you could go off it for a couple of months, see what effects there are, then decide to go back on if it is not causing the bloat but your lifts are suffering.

Cheers, h.

Supposedly if there's any water retention associated with it, it's intramuscular - not subcutaneous. It supposedly volumizes the muscles but doesn't cause bloating.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Cheers, h.

Supposedly if there's any water retention associated with it, it's intramuscular - not subcutaneous. It supposedly volumizes the muscles but doesn't cause bloating.

Yup, that is what I have read too. Once I had refound the above posted thread I checked all links and links links. Nothing on bloating.

Cheers, h.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Some people get some gastro bloating with it. I'm not one of them. But some tolerate it better than others.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Cheers, h.

2-5lbs is not unusual to gain while taking creatine. Personally, it gave me terrible stomach cramping.

Its definitely safe and one of the most proven supplement on the market. But id also ask why the OP feels they need Creatine? Are you lifts not progressing or is this a buffer to try and maximize everything.
  • AnvilHead
    edited January 2018
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Cheers, h.

2-5lbs is not unusual to gain while taking creatine. Personally, it gave me terrible stomach cramping.

Its definitely safe and one of the most proven supplement on the market. But id also ask why the OP feels they need Creatine? Are you lifts not progressing or is this a buffer to try and maximize everything.

Did your gastro issues occur during the loading period, or when taking regular (i.e. 5g/day) doses? I've seen it reported as being more common during the loading period. I don't have any personal experience with that aspect of it since I didn't do a loading period, just started taking 5g/day. I never had any gastro issues with creatine, but.....n=1.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I guess I just don't know if I can keep up the bulk with the extra bloat. For a 2% advantage, I don't know if I can handle it mentally. Bulking is such a mind f as it is.

I stopped taking creatine a year ago and haven't really notice much difference. There is a small, incremental, advantage but I don't think it's worth it for me anymore. I also think I'm one of the non-responders or maybe I'm just normal and just not noticing that small boost.

I would recommend stopping and seeing how you feel. You'll probably drop a couple pounds in the first two to three weeks due to the water retention dissipating.

Oh, and yeah, truth -- bulking is a total head game! Good luck on your bulk.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    It's cheap and it's proven to work. Is it necessary? No. Will you make significant gains? No. If you're a good responder to creatine, you may get a 1-2% edge, that's it. It all depends on your budget, like I said, creatine isn't that expensive, but if you're dead broke, then don't get it.

This is perfect answer ^^. It's been proven. Also you can have the level check by the doctor and it's an indicator if your body already makes enough.

The bottom line is more how you feel, I know I have more endurance in the gym when I take it, not as much when I stop. I took it for a long time, just a little, like 1/4 teaspoon because I'm small so it lasted a long time. But I stopped because as a female I didn't feel I needed any more "bulking" and I got used to endurance without it.

• Wheelhouse15
    Options

Cheers, h.

Yup, that is what I have read too. Once I had refound the above posted thread I checked all links and links links. Nothing on bloating.

Cheers, h.

From examine.com section 19.1

There are no clinically significant side effects of acute creatine supplementation. Numerous trials have been conducted in humans with varying dosages, and the side effects have been limited to gastrointestinal distress (from too much creatine consumption at once) and cramping (from insufficient hydration).

Bloating has been reported by several people on various forum etc and seems to be something that does occur, but it's possible that it's due to user error.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Cheers, h.

Did your gastro issues occur during the loading period, or when taking regular (i.e. 5g/day) doses? I've seen it reported as being more common during the loading period. I don't have any personal experience with that aspect of it since I didn't do a loading period, just started taking 5g/day. I never had any gastro issues with creatine, but.....n=1.

I didn't load. I did 5g the whole time ans it hurt the whole time even with 120 to 170 oz of water.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Cheers, h.

I didn't load. I did 5g the whole time ans it hurt the whole time even with 120 to 170 oz of water.

Loading is unnecessary.
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2018
    Options

Cheers, h.

Loading is unnecessary.

I know. Its why i didnt do it. Lol
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Come off it for a month and see what happens?
    Did you actually notice any benefits?
    Although I agree it's well proven and definitely worth people trying it certainly doesn't work for everyone, some seem to be non responders, some people are probably getting enough from their regular diet without supplementation.

I had two different experiences with creatine (5g / day with water, no loading).
    #1 Nothing - nothing good, nothing bad, no weight gain, no difference in training or recovery.
    #2 Bloating, stomach upset, couple of good workouts (despite the need for some clenching!), weight loss from the high speed of food transit.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    @Davidsdottir, can you remember when you started the bloat?
    Curious as I am only on day 4 and it is worth me observing if it happens. I've not pre loaded and only doing 3g at the moment.

Being 100lbs I wasn't sure if 5g would be overkill- feedback welcome :) (without thread hijacking)

Cheers, h.