GOING BALD ON KETO! HELP

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    1700 cals (the number is included in the OP) is unlikely to be the problem so if the only thing that changed was switching to keto then I'd certainly revert to a more standard macro split A.S.A.P.

I am almost wonder if they aren't taking in a lot of veggies, which is limiting their ability to get adequate micronutrients.

Seeing the macros would help since keto is lower protein too.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Echoing others: Dr appointment/bloodwork.

Note: my dr said my results were perfect- no anemia, no thyroid issues, etc. but I don't think she tested for all vitamin/mineral definiciencies (likely bc she tried to tell me your hair changes as you age. I pretended i couldn't hear her (I'm older than you!).

Try Viviscal, it a supplement. WM seems to be cheapest- it takes at least 3 months to show improvement, but there is NO quick fix. (I'm not doing keto but was having hair issues, too.) I just finished 31 days, and can see improvement already (less shedding/seems a little thicker @ roots).

You might want to look into seeing a dietician/nutritionist to make sure you are eating what you need to be eating.

There is no scientific proof that biotin will do much (though LOTS of people say it helped them. Stuff I've read indicates that unless you are deficient in biotin, you are wasting your money and will be disappointed, ymmv.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    One additional note. You should see a doctor before seeing a doctor. While water soluble vitamins aren't an issue, there are a lot of supplements that can cause issues if you over supplement.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Are you counting carbs or NET carbs? I only ask because I’ve seen friends attempt keto and do much better when they switched to NET (carbs minus fiber) because they weren’t eating enough veggies and getting enough micronutrients counting carbs alone with the keto goal being to keep them so low.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »
    If OP recently gave birth it could be due to that and not the keto. Hair loss isn't unheard of postpartum. However, I'd suggest having bloodwork done to make sure you're not missing any essential nutrients. Also, I'm not sure keto is a good diet for breastfeeding.

I missed the breastfeeding part. I agree. This isn’t the time to be going keto.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If 25% of 1700 calories is protein, that works out to a hair over 100 grams per day, which might be enough protein. If she's doing a few hundred calories of cardio exercise per day, that will push up her protein needs and she's then insufficient.

OTOH if hair shedding was an issue before keto see a doctor.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    CTcutie wrote: »
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    Your thyroid needs 100g of carbohydrates to work well. If you are losing your hair, then your thyroid has likely been compromised.

Ref: https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/abcs-of-nutrition/why-we-need-carbs/

Quick fixes:

Use the supplements for at least 90 days. Check your heart rate. It should stay below 80 bpm. If it goes higher discontinue the supplements.

DO not take iodine supplements or thyroid supplements! You shouldn't mess with these things.

Second that, blood work first will determine if you need this. If you are eating iodized salt you should never have an issue and taking too much iodine is dangerous. Now if you end up with a goitre then you can worry about iodine.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would stop the keto immediately. Hair takes a long, long time to regrow, and keto isn't necessary for weight loss. Besides which it's not a great idea while breastfeeding.

See a doctor. Have your thyroid checked. Since you recently had a baby, it's worth mentioning that many woman see hair thinning after pregnancy - pregnancy delays the natural process of hairs falling out when they get old, and when the pregnancy effects end all those hairs that would have fallen out in the past months come out at one time. If that's all it is, it will sort itself out in time.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Wow, so sorry this is happening! If it were me, I'd get off the keto immediately and make an appointment to see my doctor. If you can't see the doctor immediately, I'd also immediately up calories to maintenance and try to balance out my diet. If that slows or stops the hair loss, great, if not, then hopefully your doctor will be able to diagnose the issue. Good luck.
  • ecrahen
    ecrahen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have hair loss issues and all the doctors do is eliminate your thyroid as a issue. They often don't have a clue. Get a thyroid blood test to check it. I use generic Rogaine from Walmart and my hair loss stopped, and is growing back in. It is well worth the cost...about $7/month. I have resolved this to be permanent for me. Maybe hormonal. I 'll never know but at least I am fighting to keep my hair. BTW, Rogaine is not for every hair loss problem. Read the instructions to compare your loss pattern to what it helps with.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    ecrahen wrote: »
    I have hair loss issues and all the doctors do is eliminate your thyroid as a issue. They often don't have a clue. Get a thyroid blood test to check it. I use generic Rogaine from Walmart and my hair loss stopped, and is growing back in. It is well worth the cost...about $7/month. I have resolved this to be permanent for me. Maybe hormonal. I 'll never know but at least I am fighting to keep my hair. BTW, Rogaine is not for every hair loss problem. Read the instructions to compare your loss pattern to what it helps with.

She is breast feeding, so she needs to consult her Dr before adding drugs while breastfeeding.
    You could well be malnourished. And yes diseases like endocrine disorders can be at play here. So I only have one suggestion for you, next stop is to the Dr soon as you can get inand bring your baby with you (because if you are malnourished it does affect your breast milk).
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Your body is struggling. Eat a healthy, balanced and varied diet.
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »
    If OP recently gave birth it could be due to that and not the keto. Hair loss isn't unheard of postpartum. However, I'd suggest having bloodwork done to make sure you're not missing any essential nutrients. Also, I'm not sure keto is a good diet for breastfeeding.

This.

About 4 weeks post partum my hair started to fall out...fast. I had a few very thin patches (my hair is usually very thick to I freaked out) and then the hair loss stopped and it grew back. Whole process took about 8 months...