How useful are the massage chairs at Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Whereas PF would be completely honest when it comes to describing their business policies, right?

If they were saying something negative about themselves, yes I would be inclined to think they were being truthful.

I'm generally pretty good at reading between the lines and sorting the facts from the hype and BS and opinions that someone wants to feed me. That's why I mostly avoid consuming "news" as it has become pretty much all hype and BS.

I don't regard PF as some paragon of virtue, or as any sort of fitness authority. I'm willing to ignore the politics of it and treat it simply as a place with some equipment, mainly because it's nearby and only $10 per month. I'm not thrilled that they don't have free weights, but I can cope. Though I probably wouldn't have joined at all had they not recently gotten some rowing machines.

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    "Predatory tactics"? Are you SURE this isn't an anti-PF rant?
    As I said earlier, the OP was not. If people are going to post foolish defenses of their methods though, you can fully expect people to shift gears and respond accordingly.

I have defended PF when people say that you can't get a good workout there. By the same token though, if people applaud their methods, I have no problem pointing out that their methods are actually quite unethical.

Sooo.. the OP wasn't an anti-PF rant, just the setup for it? Kind of comes across as ... disingenuous, at best. And this thread is now up to 8 pages, so maybe I missed where you defended PF.

Also, I'm still not clear what misinformation you meant.
    I'm willing to ignore the politics of it and treat it simply as a place with some equipment, mainly because it's nearby and only $10 per month. I'm not thrilled that they don't have free weights, but I can cope. Though I probably wouldn't have joined at all had they not recently gotten some rowing machines.

Woah! No free weights at all? The one I go to has dumbbells, kettlebells, and bars with plates. Maybe I'm just extra-fortunate.
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Can we get back to talking about the massage chairs? Yes it costs $20 a month to use them, but you guys can afford it. Spartan, I know you won't commit but I have the black card membership and can bring a guest with me anytime for free.

Yeah, but I don't think the guests are allowed to use the black card area. Definitely a downer for me, because while I love getting a nice lil backrub after my workout, if I bring a guest, I feel like kind of a jerk if I say "okay, you can hang out here in the lobby while I get my massage. See you in ten." ;D So I generally only get the massage if I go solo.
  • MarkusDarwath
    Options
    Woah! No free weights at all? The one I go to has dumbbells, kettlebells, and bars with plates. Maybe I'm just extra-fortunate.

They do have dumbells and I think kettlebells... and there are bars with plates but those are all in Smith machines. I haven't tried the Smiths yet, so I might end up liking them ok, but I can see a potential issue in the forced linearity of the lifts. Some people insist they are bad and dangerous.. I have no opinion yet other than they aren't quite the same as free weights.
    When I said they lack free weights what I meant is that they don't have loose bars.

Did my first actual workout there today. So far I can say I don't care for the chest press machine. The movement of the machine brings your hands closer together as you extend, where with a regular bench press they stay the same distance apart. I expected to be able to do a set of 15 with roughly 60% of my 1 rep max bench press. Not even close. Had to drop to 45% to get the first set in, and progressively dropped the weight even more on the next set and more again for the last 2 sets.

Also discovered that the rowing machine is much harder than I expected. I don't think I have an issue with the stroke so much as the return. My big round belly gets in the way of trying to lean forward into the starting position, and my hip flexors are weak which makes it difficult to pull myself back forward on the rail. I'm going to have to work on that one a little at a time and do most of my cardio on the treadmill for a while.

• cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Also discovered that the rowing machine is much harder than I expected. I don't think I have an issue with the stroke so much as the return. My big round belly gets in the way of trying to lean forward into the starting position, and my hip flexors are weak which makes it difficult to pull myself back forward on the rail. I'm going to have to work on that one a little at a time and do most of my cardio on the treadmill for a while.

Brotip on the rower: You might be trying to lean too far forward. Maybe you're fine, but in my experience many people lean forward and back too much on the rower. If your torso is the hand of a clock, you really only need to go between maybe 11o'clock and 1 o'clock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0r_ZPXJLtg

Like I said maybe you are doing it right, and if so keep doing it. I'm only posting this because I know that when I first used the rower I was definitely leaning too much (in both directions).

• MarkusDarwath
    Options
    Brotip on the rower: You might be trying to lean too far forward. Maybe you're fine, but in my experience many people lean forward and back too much on the rower. If your torso is the hand of a clock, you really only need to go between maybe 11o'clock and 1 o'clock.

I don't think I even achieve 12 o'clock. There's just too much middle in the way. I had to grab the handles before I put my feet up on the pedals, and it was a *kitten* getting my shoes into the straps. Yeah, I got a long way to go.

• cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

I don't think I even achieve 12 o'clock. There's just too much middle in the way. I had to grab the handles before I put my feet up on the pedals, and it was a *kitten* getting my shoes into the straps. Yeah, I got a long way to go.

That's OK - the big pull back with your legs and back is the part of the movement that really works you. As long as your arms are out straight you're probably OK.

BTW I also struggle to grab the handles if my feet are on the pedals and I'm 5'11"/165lb. I think it's more hip mobility than anything.
  • MarkusDarwath
    Options
    BTW I also struggle to grab the handles if my feet are on the pedals and I'm 5'11"/165lb. I think it's more hip mobility than anything.

There's definitely a lot of that going on. Overall, I really need to work on my hip flexors. As I said, it was the return to starting position that really killed me more than the stroke.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    not worth it
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Massage chairs have no value. They're mildly annoying though.

Want to provide a relaxation therapy area? Ice baths, rollers, tiger tails, inversion racks, a staff of trained masseuses.

And a nice jaccuzi spa...
  • NadineBrosnan
    NadineBrosnan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like the massage chairs after a long workout. If nothing else, it helps blood circulation. Also, my PF gives me 2 of the 5-minute tokens for the chair, so if I have a guest we can both have a short massage.

Not a big fan of the tanning beds, although I used to do the standing red light therapy booth for my skin and I saw results. I was sad to see they got rid of it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I used to go to lifetime fitness many years ago and they had tons of non fitness related amentities. Sauna/steam room, hot tubs, massages (by people) a cafe, and even a hair salon.
  • Aqualang26
    Aqualang26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    In response to your sternly written 10-page letter (which was totally a fair assessment for discussion and not a rant):

If you look at it all as a form of self care, does that help you accept the hydrobeds and massage chairs?

For many people making caring themselves a priority is what's necessary for improvement, in all areas - fitness very much included.

So if someone goes and puts in a workout then gets a little feel-good massage, I see it all as wonderful.

I can't deadlift 1000 lbs, but I feel pretty sure I get a really decent work out at PF. I also feel like you're exactly why a lot of people choose it.

Honestly, this type of tirade about it's all crap cuz massage chairs are present and I can't roar like an obnoxious lion after a set makes people stay home if there isn't another option.

So I'm really glad there's another option.
  • shelbypliska
    shelbypliska Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1. To answer the actual question, yes massage chairs are slightly beneficial but not nearly as much as getting a real massage. When you get a massage done by another human there are other factors that make them more useful. Scientist do not know exactly why or how massages are helpful but they believe different chemicals come into play. For example they think massages help oxygen travel to the sore areas (which helps with muscle repair). Also, you release a variety of "feel good" chemicals. You can easily google this for more details if you actually are curious. However, considering your responses it seems like you actually do not care you just wanted to *kitten* about PF
    2. While I disagree with the use of tanning for myself personally, there are benefits. I personally don't use them because of the increase risk of skin cancer. However, they can be useful for those who do have depression. It is still being investigated whether or not they do help increase your vitamin D levels. Some studies have shown they do. Even if they don't, their placebo effect seems to be working well for some people I know. On top of that, tanning makes some people simply feel better about their looks, making it beneficial for their mental well being. Finally, it's a perk. If you're trying to decide between two similar options, it can attract the margin.
    3. Please calm down and realize that they are targeting a market that is not you. Cool you work out? You lift weights? Good for you. There are a lot of people who have a hard time going to a gym and PF's goal is to make an easy stepping stone for them. Yea I think our society should try to be a little less lazy but you aren't just going to get everyone to flip that easily. PF tries to make a friendly JUDGEMENT FREE environment so that those who are having a hard time starting feel welcomed. My friend is trying to loose weight (she's almost double my weight) and it was difficult finding a gym environment that would make her feel comfortable. So yes, I think PF's little unhealthy incentives and "relaxation area" are not ideal but I will recognize the fact they help get people to go to the gym who normally wouldn't.
    4. May I suggest meditation or yoga? It seems like you're very focused on things that are not worth your energy and that you have some pent up rage / anger / stress. I try to start and end my day with at least10 minutes of yoga and I can always tell when I've been skipping out. I have heard downward dog, child's pose, and pigeon pose help relieve stress / anger and helps you ground yourself

Hope I answered your question! If you want to find more information on massages, vitamin D / depression, or yoga I would suggest using google.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to a gym that had a bar. It was a health "club" and they wanted to promote a collegial atmosphere. Maybe Planet Fitness is attempting this with its relaxation zone. Just without the booze. 😂
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    y5av0.jpg
  • SkylerJes
    SkylerJes Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Current PF member and massage chair user here.
    I love to put in a hard exercise and rotate what I work on often, and I almost always end with the massage chair. Yes there are a lot of lazy people at PF that want to "feel" like they're getting fit, but there are also plenty that come in to get or stay fit too, and I've seen both groups use the massages.
    I use both the exercise and chair to relieve stress/anxiety, and I couldn't get a cheap massage anywhere else. It's both a reward for my hard work out and a way to relax since I always go between 12-4am after work and before bed. I think it's very acceptable that they keep various amenities to broaden their customer base and keep the prices low for the majority.
    It only helps me, and I'm smart enough not to eat the free food that would be a detriment to my goal of becoming more fit, and I feel like there's a lot of bias from non PF members that sum it up to most members being lazy or falling for a scheme. It's not the most professional environment, but it's one of the cheapest and most convenient options in most areas.
    I think it's also worthwhile to consider that (at least at my location) they make no claims that it will imoroves fitness, and it is clearly separated and labeled as the "Spa" area of the building. The TVs only advertise the chairs for relaxation and don't show the red light or tanning rooms. I think it's fully up to the consumer to choose what they want to use and does not make the gym area any less of a gym area.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    So how often do they have the free pizza?
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »
    So how often do they have the free pizza?

Monthly.

So now I'm kind of curious. The one I went to was down the road from a Papa John's and that's the kind of pizza they got. I'm wondering if that's consistent across the chain or if other PFs use different pizza suppliers.

Anyone have info?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Wow!
    The gym i go to used to have a jiggle machine -- that is, a machine where you stood on a vibrating plate. It always seemed to me like those old vibrating belt machines they had in gyms in the late 1950s and 1960s.
    I was the only one who used it.
    It stood in the corner, mostly ignored.
    I kinda thought it was fun, though. And, a bit like a massage.
    Now the machine is gone.
    Why is OP asking us about the massage chairs? He, or she, should be trying one themselves, then judging for themselves whether they think it does anything positive....