You don't use a food scale?

quiksylver296
quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
edited November 2021 in Getting Started
We have many new members who have been around for about three weeks now. And there are lots of posts saying "I've been doing this for three weeks and haven't lost any weight!" Many responses to those threads tell the member to use a food scale. This video illustrates why a food scale is such a powerful tool for most people's weight loss. (Although I wish it used peanut butter instead of oatmeal. ;) )

https://youtu.be/XpHykP6e_Uk

If anyone has any other infographics or videos that are pro-food scale, add 'em!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    1 T = 0.5 oz

assuming you have a scale with at least one decimal for ounces, you should be able to weigh that

If not, you would need to weigh a full ounce and then only use half, maybe?
  • davepollack
    davepollack Posts: 19 Member
    Thank you all again for the info. Never thought about weighing liquids. Will need to start doing that.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    We're trying to weigh more of our stuff, our dinner gets weighed as best we can and usually I have leftovers for lunch so that gets weighed too. Prepacked stuff I don't weigh, but I've started weighing snacks I bring to work like crackers and such and I've definitely been estimating 10-20% low

You might want to be aware that many pre-packaged foods don't weigh the same as their serving size suggests. For example, I bought some flour tortillas once that had a weight in grams for a single tortilla, but when I weighed the tortilla it weighed a full 30% more than the package claimed.

On those, I generally figure if I eat them often enough it will probably average out, but if I don't, best to weigh.