• HappieZombie
    HappieZombie Posts: 15 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    mrsbigmack wrote: »
    How long have you been keto? Are you fat adapted? If not, you'll be just starving yourself. If you're truly fat adapted, fasting will cause the burning of adipose tissue. If not, you'll be catabolic, hungry and feeling like you're fasting.

Can you explain how fasting is anti-catabolic when you're fat adapted?
  • kjongeward
    kjongeward Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this whole "keto thing" as well. I do occasionally IF, but what I've read is that the best way to do it is to eat dinner, then go ~12-18 hours before eating a MEAL again (usually a ratio 16:8 or 18:6 if you're more fat adapted). For example, I eat dinner at 6, and don't eat anything else before I go to sleep and sleep through the night, wake up and have a Keto (bullet proof) coffee with some fat in it, that will help me get through the morning. If I get hungry, I'll eat something small like a handful of almonds, a Babybel cheese or something. Then I eat all my meals in a designated window of time (usually 6-8 hours). So I'll "skip" breakfast, then eat lunch around noon and dinner around 6 (all in that 6-8 hour window). I don't think anything says you should starve yourself for almost 24 hours, that's never good for you. Most of the people that aren't "hungry" are probably fat adapted (have been doing Keto for a while), so their bodies can go longer without feeling starved, but I guarantee they are still "hungry". No one is going to say they "aren't hungry" after not eating for almost 24 hours. But I guess this is all IMO? Good luck, and I suggest eating something?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    How long have you been keto? Are you fat adapted? If not, you'll be just starving yourself. If you're truly fat adapted, fasting will cause the burning of adipose tissue. If not, you'll be catabolic, hungry and feeling like you're fasting.

My understanding from top sources - like Dominic d'Agostino - and others who are coaching keto eating is that when technically in a caloric deficit, the body isn't really in a deficit state in the sense that it can make up all the energy it needs from breaking down body fat into ketones. On a normal diet, the body is very inefficient at burning fat so in a deficit you get hungry, weak, tired and catabolic as the body tries to create glucose through gluconeogenesis. When you're fat adapted - i.e. you've trained your body to actually use the energy from ketones alone all the time - you are able to burn all the body fat you need to sustain lean mass much more effectively.

I'm not a scientist and I won't bother spending my life on the internet looking for the studies. The best source for information is right here, though: https://ketonutrition.org/about-1 - his publications are listed.

I lost a lot of fat just by eating in a deficit. I cant do keto due to a health issue. I dont get hungry, my tiredness is not from my diet its from health issues, I have never become weak either from my calorie deficit. I also eat high carb,low fat,high fiber diet due to my health issue.I lost a lot of fat.I have a metabolic issue as well and had no issues losing fat. if you are burning nothing but body fat,then what happens when you are down to a normal amount of body fat? the fuel is coming from the high fat you are eating. body fat is lost in a deficit no matter how much you eat. I also fast 16:8 and dont lose anymore weight fasting than compared to non fasting.
  • Jaydensmamma
    Jaydensmamma Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what diet you're on, you will get hungry while fasting. I am on the keto diet myself and because of the nature of the diet I can sometimes go until later in the day without feeling so much as a ping of hunger but let me just say that is not a common occurrence. I am normally mildly hungry by 10am-12pm and I have to push myself to continue the fast. Its normal.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think keto'ers, especially those who are fat adapted or over a month or two into the diet, find fasting a bit easier because they are at a stable BG that is less reliant on glucose coming in every few hours. Fat and ketones are the usual fuel so if that fuel is reduced (eat nothing) the body may find using body fuel (fat and muscle) a bit easier to access.

I usually have at least a 12 hour gap between meals now because I am not often hungry until early afternoon. When I was dealing with blood glucose swings from a higher carb diet, there was a more pressing need to eat more frequently.

I have fasted for a few days before. I got hungry. I just did not get a headache, shakes or hangry like I may have if I was more carb dependent.

YMMV
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There's no evidence that keto actually sustains lean mass more effectively, even in long term keto dieters. When compared to other diets, matched for calories and protein, there is no difference or advantage to a ketogenic diet.

Actually, what I've seen -- from keto-friendly sources -- is that you need MORE protein when doing keto, because it tends to be more catabolic.

http://caloriesproper.com/muscle-growth-sans-carbs/

http://caloriesproper.com/protein-ketosis-and-lean-mass/

I may have linked these same exact articles in the low carb group. Supplemented with this

http://sci-fit.net/2017/ketogenic-diet-fat-muscle-performance/

rnac4v39hxee.png

We agree, and just to be clear I'm not anti keto at all. I just also think protein is just more important than ever when doing keto and that sources that say you should worry about keeping protein low (or not too high) because of ketosis (which I think are all too common) are often counter-productive -- on a deficit you aren't going to get kicked out of ketosis because you do .8-1 g per lb of LBM, say, of protein.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I think keto'ers, especially those who are fat adapted or over a month or two into the diet, find fasting a bit easier because they are at a stable BG that is less reliant on glucose coming in every few hours. Fat and ketones are the usual fuel so if that fuel is reduced (eat nothing) the body may find using body fuel (fat and muscle) a bit easier to access.

I usually have at least a 12 hour gap between meals now because I am not often hungry until early afternoon. When I was dealing with blood glucose swings from a higher carb diet, there was a more pressing need to eat more frequently.

I have fasted for a few days before. I got hungry. I just did not get a headache, shakes or hangry like I may have if I was more carb dependent.

YMMV

I find habit determines if I get hungry for short term "fasting" (missing meals).

For a period in my late teens/early 20s I often did what would now be called IFing -- no breakfast or lunch, afternoon snack plus dinner only -- and was never hungry, since that was my habit. I didn't eat low carb during that period, probably higher carb than at any time of my life.

I skipped breakfast for a longer period and ate lunch (and dinner) late. Then I went to my current pattern, which involves often running before breakfast and usually a long break between lunch (12) and dinner (9), which isn't 12 hours, but also I'm not hungry at all, because it's my pattern.

I fast for 36 hours sometimes (religious reasons), and do get hungry, but not crazy hungry. I found this was easier when I was eating better, but that wasn't low carb (I wasn't low carb necessarily), but not being in the habit of eating constantly (a bad habit I was in for a while) or stuffing feelings with food in general.

People with blood sugar issues may be different, but not doing low carb doesn't mean eating at a normal schedule is going to be an issue or IFing will be or a day's fast.

Agree with you that in any case hunger if you don't eat for a day is normal, of course. (I think hunger before meals is normal too, and one issue today is that people think hunger is somehow a problem that must be addressed -- like the idea that it means you are eating muscle and storing fat or whatever.)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »

My understanding from top sources - like Dominic d'Agostino - and others who are coaching keto eating is that when technically in a caloric deficit, the body isn't really in a deficit state in the sense that it can make up all the energy it needs from breaking down body fat into ketones. On a normal diet, the body is very inefficient at burning fat so in a deficit you get hungry, weak, tired and catabolic as the body tries to create glucose through gluconeogenesis. When you're fat adapted - i.e. you've trained your body to actually use the energy from ketones alone all the time - you are able to burn all the body fat you need to sustain lean mass much more effectively.

I'm not a scientist and I won't bother spending my life on the internet looking for the studies. The best source for information is right here, though: https://ketonutrition.org/about-1 - his publications are listed.

I don't think you have to "train" your body to use ketones. It knows how to do it. If it didn't, the human probably wouldn't have survived.

No, your body already uses ketones regularly, like when you sleep.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

YMMV

Small point of order based on personal experience and what I've seen from other posters' experience:

The ability to IF for long stretches is not limited to people eating keto and not down to BG levels and carbohydrate intake.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    There's no evidence that keto actually sustains lean mass more effectively, even in long term keto dieters. When compared to other diets, matched for calories and protein, there is no difference or advantage to a ketogenic diet.

Actually, what I've seen -- from keto-friendly sources -- is that you need MORE protein when doing keto, because it tends to be more catabolic.

http://caloriesproper.com/muscle-growth-sans-carbs/

http://caloriesproper.com/protein-ketosis-and-lean-mass/

I may have linked these same exact articles in the low carb group. Supplemented with this

http://sci-fit.net/2017/ketogenic-diet-fat-muscle-performance/

rnac4v39hxee.png

We agree, and just to be clear I'm not anti keto at all. I just also think protein is just more important than ever when doing keto and that sources that say you should worry about keeping protein low (or not too high) because of ketosis (which I think are all too common) are often counter-productive -- on a deficit you aren't going to get kicked out of ketosis because you do .8-1 g per lb of LBM, say, of protein.

Even if you did, proper amounts of protein > ketosis