BCAAs? has anyone noticed a difference in the speed of recovery and not aching so much after?

Options

Replies

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    EmmaCaz4 wrote: »
    My personal experience is I find they are good for me & my goals. Currently at the moment they really help me as they're the only thing that stops me throwing up 1st thing with my morning sickness. However; I have been using them for a while for my bodybuilding alongside protein powders but at different points in the day. I was also using creatine and coffee as pre-workout but had to stop as not safe to use during pregnancy. :)

It's a placebo effect, but if it makes you mentally stronger for your workout, I guess it doesn't hurt....but you are paying for expensive water flavoring.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    My personal experience is I find they are good for me & my goals. Currently at the moment they really help me as they're the only thing that stops me throwing up 1st thing with my morning sickness. However; I have been using them for a while for my bodybuilding alongside protein powders but at different points in the day. I was also using creatine and coffee as pre-workout but had to stop as not safe to use during pregnancy. :)

It's a placebo effect, but if it makes you mentally stronger for your workout, I guess it doesn't hurt....but you are paying for expensive water flavoring.

I know when I tried it, I thought it might be that at first. But looking back, it just helped me increase my water intake. And when I didn't use it and continued with the same amount of water I got the same results.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

As water flavoring it's not much more expensive than Crystal lite.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    PikaJoyJoy wrote: »

I know when I tried it, I thought it might be that at first. But looking back, it just helped me increase my water intake. And when I didn't use it and continued with the same amount of water I got the same results.

Bingo! I'm always amazed when people claim that something that is proven to have no effect "works" for them and ascribe outcomes to them that they never claimed to have to begin with.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    Okiludy wrote: »
    I love how BCAA threads roll down the same hill over and over.

1. Someone asks a question on them.
    2. People who have answered it a bunch of times show the scientific studies.
    3. Someone else defends or questions the evidence against.
    4. Many give personal experiences but it’s ignored.
    5. The person who was nice enough to post the data is called mean or white knighted against. Even when they are just attempting to save the OP time and money.
    6. We wait for up to a week and a BCAA question comes up again and we repeat.

Ground Hog Day is alive and well

Hi, first, awesome pic, Metallica is my favorite band, second, I'm sure 5 was referring to my response lol. Now there's nothing wrong with posting information, I'm all for that, but the way he made his comments it came off as like "you're an idiot for not preferring these studies, why would you want to listen to people's opinions" that's why I called him out, otherwise it would've been fine, that's all. I find that often when someone asks a question some people come back acting like some expert and try to seem like they're above the person asking the question in a way. So I appreciate when someone helps to post data, but it's how you relay information that I was focused on.

If someone chooses to simply and abruptly address a question in a matter-of-fact way because that might be how they are (even though I honestly think that in this case the "tone" received was more your issue than what it really was) - that's their right.

Why do "you" think that trying to tell someone how to act and talk is your right and some how makes you better for it? If we were really all about manners, you'd have privately messaged the "offending person" and made suggestions that way instead of calling them out in the public forum.

Just saying.

To add - in regards to your comment about why the other person didn't just "post links" without comment...

Personally, I'd be wary of clicking on links posted on this forum with no information at all. In fact, that's the kind of thing that could potentially be flagged as spam (because spammers do this kind of thing) and get you banned.
    Okiludy wrote: »
    I love how BCAA threads roll down the same hill over and over.

1. Someone asks a question on them.
    2. People who have answered it a bunch of times show the scientific studies.
    3. Someone else defends or questions the evidence against.
    4. Many give personal experiences but it’s ignored.
    5. The person who was nice enough to post the data is called mean or white knighted against. Even when they are just attempting to save the OP time and money.
    6. We wait for up to a week and a BCAA question comes up again and we repeat.

Ground Hog Day is alive and well

Hi, first, awesome pic, Metallica is my favorite band, second, I'm sure 5 was referring to my response lol. Now there's nothing wrong with posting information, I'm all for that, but the way he made his comments it came off as like "you're an idiot for not preferring these studies, why would you want to listen to people's opinions" that's why I called him out, otherwise it would've been fine, that's all. I find that often when someone asks a question some people come back acting like some expert and try to seem like they're above the person asking the question in a way. So I appreciate when someone helps to post data, but it's how you relay information that I was focused on.

If someone chooses to simply and abruptly address a question in a matter-of-fact way because that might be how they are (even though I honestly think that in this case the "tone" received was more your issue than what it really was) - that's their right.

Why do "you" think that trying to tell someone how to act and talk is your right and some how makes you better for it? If we were really all about manners, you'd have privately messaged the "offending person" and made suggestions that way instead of calling them out in the public forum.

Just saying.

To add - in regards to your comment about why the other person didn't just "post links" without comment...

Personally, I'd be wary of clicking on links posted on this forum with no information at all. In fact, that's the kind of thing that could potentially be flagged as spam (because spammers do this kind of thing) and get you banned.

Ok first off as you can see the OP agreed with me, second off it wasn’t just a matter of fact response, read his responses before you jump and make me the bad guy. Second, I’ve seen multiple ppl on chat boards come off as insulting bc the person asking questions doesn’t want to find information out the same exact way someone else might want to. Oh and finally I called him out on purpose. Anyways again let’s end this stupid argument. Point is be polite and respectful when answering questions and don’t make someone feel bad for not using journals and seeking out a general social consensus instead. If she wanted to just research she wouldn’t have posted here and DISCUSS the topic in the first place! Thank you that’s all

Except a lot of people that post here don't even know where to start in regards to research. So by your logic, we should only post anecdotes?

ETA: And posting links, etc is discussing the topic. You're the one that derailed it a bit - which is why I made it a point to say in an earlier post that maybe you should have PM'd the person(s) who you thought could have used a lesson in "Seth Manners"

Ok so that’s fine you want to keep arguing? I never said to only post anecdotes I’m FOR research and journals so let me clarify for you once more. I’m saying that if the OP was asking people their opinions then that is what she wanted in the first place so for someone to come off in a demeaning tone (by criticizing her way of asking information is to me and to the OP as you can read above) is rude and should be called out? I don’t know why you don’t agree with this concept and don’t understand my reasoning? That’s all.

Except the fact is they weren't coming off in a demeaning tone. It's text. It's advisable on any forum to just look at what the words are saying versus imagining if someone is coming off a certain way - especially when asking for advice. But again, why don't you try keeping these sort of things in PMs so we don't derail this any longer.

The fact is, there is a ton of good information in the study links that should be encouraged to be looked at versus people's opinions for the sole fact that science>anecdotes.

It's understandable that she might not have known what PubMed was but now that's been explained and can be easily verified by Google, hopefully she'll give those a real chance. Unless she just likes the flavored water and doesn't mind spending money on it. In that case, she should just do what she wants to do.

Ok you’re right it wasn’t negative it was very helpful response. I was wrong.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Wow, people are really passionately for and against BCAA's. LOL
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    JAYxMSxPES wrote: »

It gets this way way more than it needs to. People just don’t like admitting they got taken advantage of.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I am not against BCAA, but the OP is new, he needs to know facts, he or she can still buy bcaa's if the OP wants to buy them for flavor, but at least the OP will know that BCAA'S are not proven to work for building muscles and can even be detrimental in some cases (read Alan Aragon's research on that, it says it in his findings). I personally don't care if the OP buys the bcaa's, but at least he will know a thing or two about them.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Although it disagrees with the science, and very well may be placebo, I found it greatly helps with reduction in soreness. Placebo or not, I like the way it tastes so I'll just keep taking it until I finish the canister.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

It's like NCAA football! ;)