January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Cadence talk...

So now that I have a Garmin Footpod, I know my real cadence. For my 10 mile "easy" run today it says 173 was my average, with 186 as my max. My stride length was 0.98 meters.

When I compare to the faster run I did at the same distance, that has 175 average with 182 max, but stride length was 1.07meters.

That slight change gave me a full minute per mile faster. Kind of surprised it was that little of a difference.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    So sorry @HRKinchen :(
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 @HRKinchen THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS FOR THOSE FAMILIES AND FRIENDS.
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    The two main points were to gradually increase my cadence from about 158 to 170, and to reduce my vertical movement during my stride (which is related to cadence). Both changes would reduce the impact on my joints

Two key points in my stride pointed to it being a strength issue. First, my knees slightly go inward on the stride, and second, I have hip drop on the side opposite my landing foot, both which can be remedied by glute work, particularly my gluteus medius. Based on her evaluation of my form she came up with 5 glute exercises for me to do three times per week.

Once exercise she has me doing is just brutal....Side Plank with Hip Abduction. What sadist came up with that? The photo example I got had some gal with her upper leg sticking up damn near vertical whereas I can barely move my upper leg. Thankfully my PT said I just need to get an inch of separation, not do the aerial splits shown in the photo. I guess the fact that it's so hard to do is proof I need to do it.

My advice...work on those *kitten* muscles now, before there's a problem, particularly if you have a desk job like me.

My PT also is giving me a bunch of gluteus medius exercises, but she hasn't gotten to side plank with hip abduction. I can barely do a side plank--I can't even imagine!

I think I need to show my PT some of the data in my Garmin- now that I got a heart rate monitor I feel like it showing me much more including the fact that I am very "unbalanced" on my left vs right side in terms of time in contact with the ground. Not sure what to make of it or whether I believe it.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    4 easy miles not embracing the cold these days. I hope for a long run tomorrow but if I at least run I'll be happy.

exercise.png
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @HRKinchen so sorry to hear of your loss. Losing one so young is always hard.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    January goal: Keep kicking at Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 140? I really don't know. Real plan is to follow training and coach's advice well.

1/1- REST
    1/2- 8.1
    1/3- 6.4
    1/4- REST
    1/5- 4.8
    1/6- 8.1
    1/7- 5.4
    1/8- REST
    1/9- 8.5
    1/10- 6.7
    1/11- REST
    1/12- 9.3
    1/13- 10
    1/14- 6.6
    1/15- REST
    1/16- 4.9
    1/17- 6.8
    1/18- REST
    1/19- 6.2
    1/20= 14
    1/21- REST
    1/22- REST
    1/23- 7.3
    1/24- 6.6
    1/25- REST
    1/26- 8.3

Total: 128.0

Today's notes: Today's assignment was 2x3mile (23:15/rep) pace run with 4min recovery in the middle, plus 10min WU and 10min CD. Warm up went fine, though I could Tell I would be hitting some nasty wind on each loop of my pace run. Got the Warm up and hit the gas for my pace run.

First 3mile was good. I ran it in 23:08.2 for an average pace of 7:42.73, but I could tell that my legs were getting a little tired already. The Freaking 15mph (25kmph?) headwind and sidewind I hit each loop really took it's toll... The tailwind I got only seemed to help a little. Rep 2 was slower but still, OK I guess. I ran it in 23:26.7, so about 11sec slow. I was pretty tired after this run, but feel pretty good now, so I guess I'm getting in better shape.

Have a Runderful day!

2018 races
    3/28- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    7/28- Minnesota Voyageur 50 (coach brought up this one)
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    For those of you who had some interest in the Niagara Falls Women's Half - they also have a 5k too this year for the first time...less commitment and still runs past the falls twice!

@mobycarp - I'm also interested in the Niagara Falls International Marathon or half sometime (they do have a half because I considered it for my first - also a 10k and 5k). Friends that ran it in 2016 really liked the course but it was cold and windy, which is a pretty good risk at the middle or end of October. But could also be great weather!

@ddmom0811 and @HRKinchen, I'm so sorry to hear about the losses in your communities.

Yesterday was a rest day from running. Today the sun is out and it is warming up, so I'm excited to have a running meetup with best running friend this afternoon. We have MUCH to catch up on, which always makes for a fun run that goes fast (even if we don't).
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    For those of you who had some interest in the Niagara Falls Women's Half - they also have a 5k too this year for the first time...less commitment and still runs past the falls twice!

@mobycarp - I'm also interested in the Niagara Falls International Marathon or half sometime (they do have a half because I considered it for my first - also a 10k and 5k). Friends that ran it in 2016 really liked the course but it was cold and windy, which is a pretty good risk at the middle or end of October. But could also be great weather!

Detroit also has a full and half that goes over into Canada. I ran the full this past November and highly recommend it although Niagara Falls may be closer for you. Very organized and well-run event. The weather was ok to start but the wind and rain hit along the 20 mile mark when it went onto an island and along the riverfront. To my surprise, I enjoyed seeing Detroit. We took a walking tour of the downtown area the day before that was nice. (Not too smart to do the day before a marathon but nevertheless....). I don't think I would ever had visited the city if not for the marathon.