January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    hjeppley wrote: »
    @hjeppley congrats on your night half! I have done a 5k at night, which was cool. They lit the course with tiki torches and all that, but yours sounds so much more of an adventure!

The two coolest things were the owls and the view of the ice-covered reservoir with the dim glow of the sunset and the city lights on the horizon. There is one loop of the course where you are basically surrounded on all sides with water. It was awesome.

vcyxeh3n2qe5.png

It looks like a lot of fun. I think that there is a half in the summer at Eagle Creek. I thought about running it because I am nocturnal anyway. I wonder if it is the same course.

Have you run the Geist Half? I think that it is in May. It is a beautiful course around the reservoir.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    hto35qaqbhfu.jpg
    The store didn't have the same kind of running gloves, so I went hunting online. The closest thing I could find was a bit pricey on Amazon, but I found a pair reasonably priced on ebay. That should get here next week, and meanwhile I'll just wear other gloves. I don't have as many gloves as shoes, but it's not a total disaster if I lose one pair.

I like the look (hole, excepted :D ) and since I recently lost a pair i'm in the market..
    What gloves did your ruin and what replacement ones did you get?

Cheers

P.S. sorry 'bout the injuries
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,712 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

Wimped out & hit the gym today instead of the sidewalk. It's snowing again, the plows haven't hit most of the roads, and it's cold... so wimpy.
    I think getting out and going to the gym on snow covered roads in very cold condition is less than wimpy! I would have been so tempted to stay snuggled under a blankie all day!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,712 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    Sam's warehouse near my job closed....so sad. I don't understand it...it was always busy and it was where I purchase my fresh vegetables and fruit in bulk. Also gas was about 30 cents cheaper per gallon. It was also good exercise to walk the warehouse. Oh well. I'll probably shop at Fresh Thyme.

From what I read, the stores they closed were in locations where there were other warehouses close by. Sucks though. :-(
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Ryokat wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I think we all run for similar reasons. Oh what's his name, @skippygirlsmom @shanaber the fella that stopped at McDonald's on his marathon? He overcame er fought some battles, Burke?. Lone Wolf has hip replacements, kitty-depression, I've never been right... :anguished: I'd guess the majority of runners are using running to cope, deal and be the best version of themselves (like in The Good Pace). Haha! Lots of TV for me! I've had too much ice cream.

I had a stroke in May 2016 at age 38, so I decided to try running as a form of rehab. I’m not sure if my gait pattern will ever be normal again, but I keep trying.

My biological sister recently had a mild stroke at 41. I wish she would take it more seriously and start running or something. She made some changes but not enough.

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 Fortunately only the neighbourhood roads were icky. Once I got out of my subdivision driving was okay. And I heard the plows out last night so our street should be good now (there is a bus stop right in front of my house).
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    HRKinchen wrote: »
    So, I got curious about HM training today and stumbled across a 12-week schedule that starts with 2-mile easy runs and a 4-mile long run in Week 1 and would line up perfectly with a 5K and a 10K that I already had on my race list for this year. So now I'm wondering... Can I really do it? Could I really get myself HM ready so soon? Am I nuts? Ok, don't answer that last one, but... I do need a reality check. I just started running 5Ks nonstop last week. Can I really do this?

You can always start it and see how it goes. I usually to throw in a few extra weeks because I'm slow to build milage. But if you can get 9-10 miles as your long run, you can do the HM.

ETA. My longest run was 9 slow miles broken up with a 20 min break at 4-5 miles. I train by doing a walk/run er run/walk :blush: haha! And I managed the half in 2:35. I had to walk the last 2-3 miles because my hip flexors were trashed and my thighs chaffed bloody, but I did it. I earned that shirt and finishers medal.

You'll find the folks that so half's aren't much different than the 5/10k crowd. I imagined they all we're elite-like.