Your 'Ah-Ha' Moment

Replies

• gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    I was just fed up feeling trapped by myself in a body that didn't feel mine.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2018
    I have posted in here before I think but now 2 years into this I can add a refocus of my AH-HA. In February 2016 my daughter was several years into drug addiction....my husband and I are raising her 3 children. She came to the door one night in February to ask for food and to shower. It was so cold out and rainy so I let her in. While she was upstairs showering I stood in front of the refrigerator desperately seeking something to make the pain of seeing her like that go away. Before I knew it, I was closing the refrig door and a voice inside me was saying "the answer is not in the refrigerator". I put on my shoes and coat and headed out in the dark that night for a walk. I walked 3 miles that first night...thoughts swirling in my heart and head...." I want my life back" "I want my body back" "I cant change the path my daughter is on but I can be healthy for my babies. Flash forward to 2018. I have lost just over 80 pounds now but I have been at a standstill for a very, very long time. My Ah-HA is different now but re-emerging. I have 30 pounds to go. My daughter has been sober for 5 months now and life is on an even keel...its time to hit this thing hard. I know what quitting feels like ....I want to know what finishing feels like. Here's to everyone seeing this through! Good luck to each and every one! Happy Living!

Absolutely amazing. Thank you for sharing. :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    I have posted in here before I think but now 2 years into this I can add a refocus of my AH-HA. In February 2016 my daughter was several years into drug addiction....my husband and I are raising her 3 children. She came to the door one night in February to ask for food and to shower. It was so cold out and rainy so I let her in. While she was upstairs showering I stood in front of the refrigerator desperately seeking something to make the pain of seeing her like that go away. Before I knew it, I was closing the refrig door and a voice inside me was saying "the answer is not in the refrigerator". I put on my shoes and coat and headed out in the dark that night for a walk. I walked 3 miles that first night...thoughts swirling in my heart and head...." I want my life back" "I want my body back" "I cant change the path my daughter is on but I can be healthy for my babies. Flash forward to 2018. I have lost just over 80 pounds now but I have been at a standstill for a very, very long time. My Ah-HA is different now but re-emerging. I have 30 pounds to go. My daughter has been sober for 5 months now and life is on an even keel...its time to hit this thing hard. I know what quitting feels like ....I want to know what finishing feels like. Here's to everyone seeing this through! Good luck to each and every one! Happy Living!

Beautiful story....you are a strong convicted woman <3
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member

Wow. Just wow. I'm actually crying right now. This is the best thing I've ever read on MFP.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Not sure if I have already added some thoughts here...so here goes (again?):

My ah-ha moment was playing with my two boys outside several years ago. I had been - up to the time that I got married - in really good shape. Well, that changed. Playing outside, running around the house with my two boys was becoming a thing. Like, after five minutes I needed to stop and catch my breath. No Bueno.

That changed. Started walking. Then jogging. Then running. One year later (this is a few years ago) I was running 13 miles several times a week. Lifting weights, too. Now, I like my chances.

Mindset? It is everything. Pretty simple: If you think that you can not do something, then you are correct. If you, however, think that you can, then you are correct, too! Gotta be right in the mind.....the body will follow!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    I've gone through this twice. Once I hit 160 lbs (I was 21 I think) and that was the heaviest I'd ever been and couldn't stand it. Both my mom and sister are quite a bit smaller than me even now. I'm a lot "curvier." I started out just trying to eat better and quit drinking soda and lost about 5 lbs, after that I heard of MFP from another forum and decided to give it a try, from there I lost another 20 lbs.

Several years later after getting my first "real" job (sitting behind a desk) and then getting pregnant a few years after that, my weight was up to 180ish (not including when i was pregnant, I actually got up to 212 then.) I didn't do anything for a while after giving birth but after several months of hating the way I looked and avoiding looking at my naked self in the mirror, I decided to give it a try again and lost about 25 lbs which is where I'm at now. Interestingly I weigh just a few lbs lower than my starting "way too heavy" weight back when I was 21-22, but I feel like this is a good weight for me now.

Currently trying to find balance. I hate tracking my calories but I eat too much and gain weight when I don't.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    bump
  • aimeetu
    aimeetu Posts: 139 Member
    4ever420 wrote: »
    My Aha moment was when I first heard of MFP and decided just to check it out. I wasn't even planning on starting a weight loss journey that day but set up an account just to see. I was playing around with it, entering the foods I had eaten that day when I realized that if I didn't eat anything else that day I'd be within my calorie goal.

The best way I can describe it is a switch went on in my head. All of a sudden it seemed so simple, I just don't go over that calorie goal and I would be in a deficit and lose weight. 148 lbs and over 2yrs later I am still going and have reached my goal for the first time in my life.

The main difference from the other times I've tried (and failed) to lose weight was that "switch" hadn't been turned on before. I don't really understand what exactly made my brain switch on but now that I've finally gotten here, there's definitely fear that the "switch" will just turn off one day and I'll spiral out of control again...

Congrats on your success! It's funny but my whole life I've heard about "the switch" going off for people who succesfully lost and kept off weight. It wasn't until I experienced it for myself that I believed this really happens :-)