February 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    m0gk4kun6z3k.jpg
    692yulq4dl4v.jpg

my goal this month is to run 90 miles ! lets do this !!!

@BrookeRunningMom I love this. My birthday is the 10th of August.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @PastorVincent I stick with the same brand (Brooks) but I have several styles within the brand. I have 4 different styles. All I know is two are more "springy".

I tried NB once, too heavy. I like Nike but don't get them for running anymore. I ran my first half in cheap Nikes from Kohls, which is apparently a no-no but I had no issues. They were also the only pair I had and did every run in them. Sometimes I think they just want us to spend $$$ telling us all this stuff.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2018
    girlinahat wrote: »

several walk breaks, but then I haven't been out for a while so that's fine. Did confirm to me that I take at least 1-2 miles just to get going.

Saw the doctor who confirmed I probably DO have a thyroid issue, and I'm booked for blood tests and an 'emergency scan referral' at the hospital (trying not to worry me for that being at the throat cancer clinic...). I wait to hear how long that could take, 'emergency' probably means sometime in the next three months.....

So basically I feel a bit...jet-lagged it the best way to describe it. That is coupled with constant vertigo like I'm still moving even when I stop. I'm going to push on with running, and just see how I get on. I've never been fast and chances are this will keep me slow (how irritating is it when MFP records me as 'jogging, in place'?).

I'm also taking NSAIDS to deal with the throat swelling, so will need to do some reading up on the impact of that and running.

roll on the rest of February, off to an okay start.

I hope "emergency" is soon. I'd hate to hear they drag things on. I had terrible bouts of low energy, mine apparently is just declining hormones and not having the right B12 that my body can use.

Nsaids shouldn't effect your running per say. I'd guess you're not over doing either. But.... For me they did cause/exacerbate some runners colitis. I don't take them anymore unless I'm willing to risk my gut health. Definitely not if I'm running, because... its no bueno.

Might try frozen blueberries (or any anti-inflammatory food)? Curcumen turmeric?

Good luck. I hope it's quick simple fix!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @PastorVincent I stick with the same brand (Brooks) but I have several styles within the brand. I have 4 different styles. All I know is two are more "springy".

I tried NB once, too heavy. I like Nike but don't get them for running anymore. I ran my first half in cheap Nikes from Kohls, which is apparently a no-no but I had no issues. They were also the only pair I had and did every run in them. Sometimes I think they just want us to spend $$$ telling us all this stuff.

Since I wear wide shoes, my choices are very limited. NB are one of the best brands on the market for wide shoes.
  • PastorVincent
    karllundy wrote: »
    @pastorvincent - I am in awe of your 8 'mill miles! Also, FWIW, I found one Asics, one Brooks and one Saucony that I like and rotate through them. It works for me.

It seems everytime I find a show that fits... it is discontinued before I wear out the first pair! :(

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    slow steady 7. If I get up 10 minutes earlier it could be 8. Nice start to the month for me.

exercise.png
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    On the shoes note.... I too have wide feet and have a hard time finding shoes that are comfortable 24/7. I just went last week and got properly fitted for shoes and was my feet were so largely different but glad I’ve been wearing the right size. They were kidding when they said having kids will make your feet grow. Lol. I ended up getting a pair of nikes and sauconys but I wish I had saved my money and gotten some more 361s because they are so much lighter
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    @BrookeRunningMom <3<3<3

@PastorVincent - I do a bit of both. I have favorite shoes for most of my long runs and I tend to stock pile them when I find a good sale. Asics recently made a drastic change to my beloved Kayanos and they no longer work for me, so I have switched to Brooks Glycerins. Both of these shoes are favorites for me because I like a well cushioned shoe. The Glycerins are more of a neutral shoe vs. the stability of the Kayano, but I am finding that I like them. I keep at least two, sometimes three pairs in rotation. When one pair reaches about 200 miles, I start another pair and rotate them so I am never solely running on a worn out shoe when they reach the end of their life span. Currently I am rotating the Glycerins with my last pair of Kayanos, but I intend to start another pair of Glycerins to replace the Kayanos soon. I also like to keep a lighter shoe (Brooks Ghost) for intervals and faster running. Sometimes I will run my shorter easy runs in the Ghosts as well. They do not provide enough cushioning for me for my long runs.
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Ran 6 miles in the Nature Park this morning a bit faster than I intended. I wasn't looking at my watch and when I got to the end I had run it in under 55 min at about a 9 min pace. Not my intention on a hilly trail run (not technical) with a tweaked hamstring the day after a speed workout. Guess I'll be foam rolling a lot tonight.

I just ordered a 2nd pair of Altra Timp shoes to get me through my 50K in March and a new pair of Altra Escalantes to replace the too tight forefoot of the Altra Paradigms that beat up my middle toe last weekend on the long run. Hoping to find a new favorite road shoe....

Feb 1 Ran 6.0 mi + stretching

Feb goal: 140 mi
    Done: 6.0 mi
    To go: 134 mi

Upcoming races:
    Bound the Mound Half Marathon Feb 24
    OPSF 50/50 50K Mar 24

2018 Spring Plan:
    Spring Fling 10K Mar 3
    DINO Eagle Creek 15K Apr 7
    April 28 Glacial Esker 20 mi Apr 28
    DINO Muscatuck 15K May 5
    DWD Gnawbone Marathon May 19
    DINO Brown County 15K Jun 2
    8 h @ Brown County Jun 16-17
    DINO Griffin Park 15K Jun 23

Big goal for the fall: 50 miler before I turn 50
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member

Since I wear wide shoes, my choices are very limited. NB are one of the best brands on the market for wide shoes.

I'm a wide shoe person also, so mostly Asics for me. I'm going to try some Altras at the running store when these are due for replacing next month-ish. I'm hoping the Lone Peaks will work for me for trail, and then a second pair for the road. My first foray into having multiple pairs of running shoes. I tried the Lone Peaks on at REI and they "felt" good, but I should actually maybe possible get fitted for them at a real store.
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    02/01/2018 - 4.01 miles

4.01/65 miles

It is a great day to have a great run day! Good run this morning at 52 F at the start. I thought I was slower since I have not ran for one week, but Strava tells me I was faster on my route this morning. Still slower than slow but working on it. I wore a short sleeve running shirt and running pants. I had planned on wearing running capris but at the last minute switched to pants. It was almost too hot at mile 2 for the pants and I was wishing at that point for the capris.

@girlinahat - Sorry to hear about your thyroid problems. I will have to get mine checked again in March. Last test in March 2017 came back normal. Also, there is a huge difference in starting my run at 5 or 6 AM than at 7 AM - people are less patient at 7 AM.
    @BrookeRunningMom - Congratulations!
    @skippygirlsmom - Glad you joined a running group - I tend to like running by myself in the early morning hours.

@PastorVincent and @midwesterner85 - Even though the run is loaded to Strava after completion, if you run the same route over and over again, couldn't someone tell from the pattern on the feed where you live or work, starting point, finishing point, etc.?

I found another race I would like to do in March, 5K with a medal that finishes on a gorgeous lined path of trees to a plantation house. The question becomes Am I racing too much?

Still have to find a 5K or 10K in April and May. Another race that I am interested in running is the Fat Boy 5K that our local city running group puts on every year. However, they have not announced the date and this 5K usually sells out in hours.

Upcoming races (Question marks are races not yet registered for):
    Louisiana Marathon Quarter Marathon - 01/13/2018 - Done
    Mardi Gras Mambo 10K -02/17/2018
    Reveille at Oak Alley Run/Walk -03/17/2018 -?
    Q50 Races Sunset Gulf - 6.5 miles 3/24/2018
    BIG EASY BIG HEART 5K 7/21/2018 - ?
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    So a few weeks or so back I got the Garmin Footpod and have been running with it outside in "auto calibrate" mode. It really does not do anything for you if you have a good GPS signal, but it does use the GPS to calibrate the footpod.

Today was the first time I tried it without GPS. I ran on the dreadmill (very expensive fancy one at the gym, not my cheap belt slipping one at home) for my pace work and had these results:

oj122jz2n30y.jpg

Garmin with the footpod came up with:

f4pt07r8axv9.png

Pretty darn close, especially since it took me a few seconds at least to remember to stop the Garmin. :) And I have this bonus info:

fl3g6hbsxdj2.png

That is probably worthless to me :lol: It is pricey for the Garmin footpod, but at least it seems to work as advertised.

Wondering if you run the same pace on the treadmill? I vary my pace quite a bit while running on the treadmill just to keep it interesting. I wonder if it is still accurate in that case?

When I set my Garmin to indoor mode it is quite inaccurate. Below 6mph my Garmin thinks I’m running 9 minute miles, above 6mph it thinks I’m running much slower than I really am. I’m assuming it has to do with my stride length changing as the pace picks up.
  • PastorVincent
    bride001 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent and @midwesterner85 - Even though the run is loaded to Strava after completion, if you run the same route over and over again, couldn't someone tell from the pattern on the feed where you live or work, starting point, finishing point, etc.?

So if I was a sleezeball and wanted to stalk some lady I could easily look over her last 10 Strava runs and make a reasonable guess to her patterns. Humans are creatures of habit. Once I made that guess I could just start running at the same time and location to verify. It would not be hard to soon be able to run all the same routes and times as said lady.

But, that really is not an issue for most men. It is more likely a lady would use that information to avoid a man, than anything else.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    @BrookeRunningMom SO AWESOME. 8/11 was my due date (21 years ago). She arrived on 8/12!
  • PastorVincent
    zdyb23456 wrote: »

Wondering if you run the same pace on the treadmill? I vary my pace quite a bit while running on the treadmill just to keep it interesting. I wonder if it is still accurate in that case?

When I set my Garmin to indoor mode it is quite inaccurate. Below 6mph my Garmin thinks I’m running 9 minute miles, above 6mph it thinks I’m running much slower than I really am. I’m assuming it has to do with my stride length changing as the pace picks up.

I am using the dreadmill to teach pace, so I keep pace steady and vary incline. The Garmin without the footpod was highly random in the pace and distance it came up with. I will have to run on a different dreadmill and see if it holds accuracy.