February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    bride001 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent and @midwesterner85 - Even though the run is loaded to Strava after completion, if you run the same route over and over again, couldn't someone tell from the pattern on the feed where you live or work, starting point, finishing point, etc.?

So if I was a sleezeball and wanted to stalk some lady I could easily look over her last 10 Strava runs and make a reasonable guess to her patterns. Humans are creatures of habit. Once I made that guess I could just start running at the same time and location to verify. It would not be hard to soon be able to run all the same routes and times as said lady.

But, that really is not an issue for most men. It is more likely a lady would use that information to avoid a man, than anything else.

The only thing anyone could tell from my Strava route is that I start and finish somewhere along a main road. Given that there are a number of roads branching off that main road, I could live in a house anywhere in any of those streets. That's the point of the Strava hidden locations - it doesn't show the true start point. So for my theoretical stalker, I live in the park. Or in the Football Stadium. Or in the local museum's storage unit. Or maybe on the bridge.

@PastorVincent I suspect there are plenty of women stalkers around.....but yes, it's probably more an issue for women. The story I heard about privacy settings related more to people listing expensive bikes in their Strava feed, and then having their address readily available. Like a shopping list.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

I figured out how to set it to Enhanced Security but where is the Hidden Locations option?

Here, this page explains it all:

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000173384-Privacy-Zones

:) [/quote]
    Thanks. I was trying to do it from my app instead of logging into Strava from a computer.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 Funny how glycerin are my least favorite Brooks. They heel slip despite redoing the laces to help prevent it. And if I tighten them too much my toes get tingly.

My long runs I use Ravenna then I'd say launch are my next fav then ghosts. Although ghost isn't too far behind launch.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

The only thing anyone could tell from my Strava route is that I start and finish somewhere along a main road. Given that there are a number of roads branching off that main road, I could live in a house anywhere in any of those streets. That's the point of the Strava hidden locations - it doesn't show the true start point. So for my theoretical stalker, I live in the park. Or in the Football Stadium. Or in the local museum's storage unit. Or maybe on the bridge.

Wrong :) They could wait along your route and follow you. It seriously not hard, if you are sleazy and dedicated, to figure out where a runner lives. If you noticed them they would just wait a few weeks and try again, if not, they would have you.

Besides they do not need to know your home address, just where you are likely to be at a given time if they want to do something to you.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon

tell us about this race? Do you have to do the entire thing LIKE A CRAB??????
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    2/1 5miles

An easy 5 miler. I really tried to keep it was since I have 14 on the schedule for tomorrow. My last few long runs have been difficult, but I wonder if it’s because I’m pushing hard the day before? So I’m testing out an easy run before my long run.

Excited to have a list of races to post!

3/18/2018 Shamrock half marathon
    10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon
    11/18/2018 Norfolk Harbor half marathon

Cool! My GF and friend are doing the Shamrock HM too! My friend and I are doing the Dolphin challenge which is the 5k Sat then HM Sunday. I always wanted to do Crawling Crab but I always seem to have a race on or near the date. Same with Norfolk Harbor HM. You got some great races scheduled! Hopefully the weather is better for Shamrock HM this year!

I've learned and relearned (and had to learn again) to have 2 easy days after a hard day and at least 2 easy days before. My recent hard workout last Friday 10 miles (2WU(8:30) (2x3@HM pace (7:00)4 min recovery between) 2WD(8:30)) made my 22 mile long "easy pace" turn out disastrous. I felt awful and beat up by the end.
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - I was not saying you or @midwesterner85 are sleazy people - I really hope ya'll did not take it the wrong way. My main point is that for someone like me who does not vary their running route much, having my profile public on Strava could lead to someone stalking or attacking me. Even if the runs are loaded afetr they are completed.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent and @midwesterner85 - Even though the run is loaded to Strava after completion, if you run the same route over and over again, couldn't someone tell from the pattern on the feed where you live or work, starting point, finishing point, etc.?

@bride001 No, because I have 0.5 mile radius from my home address and work address blocked. They can only see part of my route and do not know where I start/stop if I start at home. They would be able to see the city, but that is on my profile anyway.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    @PastorVincent - I was not saying you or @midwesterner85 are sleazy people - I really hope ya'll did not take it the wrong way. My main point is that for someone like me who does not vary their running route much, having my profile public on Strava could lead to someone stalking or attacking me. Even if the runs are loaded afetr they are completed.

OK, But do you also run at the same time on the same days? My stalkee (joking, here... no need to turn me into the police, mmkay?) runs a particular area commonly. However, it is on different days and at different times. It seems pretty random to me, but probably fits somewhere within the rest of her schedule (which I haven't put enough effort to piece together, or it just isn't possible with available data).
  • bride001
    Options
    @midwestern85 - My current training plan has me running 5 days a week with one rest day and a cross train day. Cross train day I usually ride my bike or if I need to, I take another rest day. I do not always get out and follow my training plan - but I tend to run in the mornings and usually start about the same time unless it is the weekend. Later start on the weekends but still usually in the mornings. I live on a single cul de sac road off a main highway and it is where I run just about everyday. If I have a long run and life does not get in the way, I will go to other roads or paths to run.
  • bride001
    Options
    I forgot to ask in my post from early day - my race in March is on a beach in hard packed sand. I ran this last year in road shoes, but should I look for trail shoes or other type shoes to run this race?
  • bride001
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - LOL! if that is the criteria then I am safe as well!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    I forgot to ask in my post from early day - my race in March is on a beach in hard packed sand. I ran this last year in road shoes, but should I look for trail shoes or other type shoes to run this race?

IMO, wear Gortex or other water resistant shoes. I would not worry so much about grip, though, like for trail shoes.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @PastorVincent I think you should have at least two different pair in rotation and they should not be the same model. Having slightly different fits, drops, etc, smooths out the effect of overuse syndrome from a single pair. I have no research I can point to which backs me up, but it makes sense to me and it certainly does no harm. At your volume though, if you're not experiencing any overuse issues now, I wouldn't worry about it.

Stocking up on those shoes is a different matter. You can rotate between two models AND stock up on them as well. The risk of stocking up is that you may decide to move away from that style shoe, or find a new favorite, but still have several pair of the old shoe to get through. That's what I'm facing. I want to get away from the high drop, high cushion shoes I've been wearing on the road (Gel Nimbus & Glycerins) and go flatter and firmer. I quit buying road shoes some time ago but still have about 700 miles left of the old styles.

@BrookeRunningMom awesome!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

@bride001 Was there any issue with the shoes you wore last year? If not, wear the same type. Personally I would avoid gortex. First, I wouldn't buy a shoe you only were needing for a race once a year. Second, a gortex shoe is designed not to let water in so long as the water doesn't come over the top. If a wave does comes up over the top, however, not only is it not going to keep that water from getting in, it's not going to let that water out and you'll be sloshing to the finish. Better to have a shoe designed to drain well and sock which can get wet and still not give you blisters. I can't think a situation where I'd use a gortex shoe for running.