February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    bride001 wrote: »
    I forgot to ask in my post from early day - my race in March is on a beach in hard packed sand. I ran this last year in road shoes, but should I look for trail shoes or other type shoes to run this race?

@bride001 Was there any issue with the shoes you wore last year? If not, wear the same type. Personally I would avoid gortex. First, I wouldn't buy a shoe you only were needing for a race once a year. Second, a gortex shoe is designed not to let water in so long as the water doesn't come over the top. If a wave does comes up over the top, however, not only is it not going to keep that water from getting in, it's not going to let that water out and you'll be sloshing to the finish. Better to have a shoe designed to drain well and sock which can get wet and still not give you blisters. I can't think a situation where I'd use a gortex shoe for running.

My experience with goretex is that it does let water out - the whole point is that it's breathable as well as water resistant. Since my feet blister the instant they get wet, I really really rely on keeping them dry, and I run in a wetland preserve. Running last year in 100 degree weather my sock were barely damp in goretex, and well fitted shoes stay dry in ankle deep water. The only time they failed me was when they were pretty old and it seemed like between one day and the next, the goretex just gave up the ghost.

My experience is the same - Goretex lets sweaty feet breathe, but doesn't let water in.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    02/01/2018 - 7.2 MPH for 7.2 Miles @ 4% grade

Big Hairy Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

03/17/18 - Shamrock Shuffle Half Marathon + 5k + 1mile
    04/07/18 - Achilles 9.3 Challange (10k and 5k back to back)
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (I must hate myself)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

So was a bit annoying and grateful for the footpod. I was at like 6.8 miles when I bumped the cut off switch and lost it all. Thankfully the Garmin was cool, so I restarted and finished the hour at my fastest dreadmill speed yet. 7.2 MPH up hill for an hour.

My plan right now for "speed work" is to get where I can sustain 7.5mph for an hour, then slowly push that up to HM length. On the weekends I will do "conversational" long runs. Figure that should put me in reach of sub-4 hour for sure. Or kill me. Either works I guess. :)
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 Namao RR offered me March 5 or 12, still talking to Ben about scheduling. Lemme know boss!

Re: Strava stranger danger discussion, this can all be avoided by not using it lol. It's buggy and awful for my phone so I see zero appeal in the thing personally.

My children gave me precisely 11:57 before having complete battle melt downs got just over 3k in on semi speed. Ugh.

February 1- 15+3

18/550

558/6000

2018 Races
    *Gord's Frozen A** 50K, February 19
    *JAJA Trail Marathon, April 1
    *Red Deer Marathon, May 20
    *Lone Wolf Last Man Standing Race, June 17
    *Eddie's Half Marathon, TBA June
    *Run in the Buff 120km TBA August
    *Lost Souls 100 Miler, September 7
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    SHOES QUESTION

I have seen people that buy the same shoe every time, and even stockpile them in case of discontinuement. These people swear by their shoes and all that.

I have also seen people say that you should change the brand of shoe on some kind of regular rotation as wearing the same shoes over and over is asking for injury. Switching brands makes you use different stabilizing muscles in your foot or something.

Which is more correct? I am probably buying a new street running shoe soon, and have had the same NB shoes the last couple times. My lazy habits just want to shop out the best price on the exact shoe so I can order it instead of dealing with a store.

Whatever works for you is correct.

I've done well with Saucony Kinvaras, buying old models 3 at a time as I wear out a rotation set. Then I got the free Hokas that were a dream for the cushioning. I had the vision of running Boston in them to help with all that downhill running. Then I came up with a sore quad after 18 miles in the Hokas on non-challenging terrain.

So, I tried the Hokas and a pair of Kinvaras for a hallway jog last Saturday before my long run; on a very forgiving, soft, level surface the Hokas hurt my injured quad more than the Kinvaras. I'm now 80% sure that the Hokas contributed to my quad injury. (No, they weren't the only contributing factor.) 80% is enough for me to put them in the pile of clothes to donate to charity. They don't even have 100 miles on them.

Stuff like this is why I'm moving back to the camp of stick with what works until it isn't available any more. THBS, I know there are other runners who can run half marathons and marathons in any running shoes that fit on their feet. I don't think I'm one of those runners, and I have no idea whether you are or not.
  • JulieS3103
    JulieS3103 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Ran 2.11 miles on the treadmill today because it seems like Strava sometimes wants to shorten my distance so I've been messing around with my runs :D I think I will just stick to what my Garmin says.

February 1 - 2.1 Treadmill run

Upcoming Races:
    2/10/18 Steven Cullen Healthy Heart 8K
    3/17/18 USO 10 Mile Race
    6/10/18 Manitowoc Half Marathon
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Re: Strava stranger danger discussion, this can all be avoided by not using it lol. It's buggy and awful for my phone so I see zero appeal in the thing personally.

I do not use it while running. I only use the Garmin watch, but after I am done and save everything, Garmin pushes a copy of the run to Strava, allowing me to take part in stuff like the MFP Club.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    re: Strava stalking

I get a lot of follow requests from names I don't always recognize. I assume most of them come from here, and I generally accept if the location sounds vaguely like somewhere I remember someone here talking about living or running. Yeah, I live on the edge. But I did "ignore" a user named "Strava runner" with no picture. Showed up later with a location of England. Still ignored him/her. Not enough clues to tell me it's someone I know online instead of a stalker bot.

That having been said . . . there have been several cases of someone I know slightly in the local running community ask, "Were you running on (road I run on frequently) last (day of the week that I don't remember exactly where I ran)?" They find me just seeing me by chance, not by cyberstalking.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    bride001 wrote: »
    @KatieJane83 - In New Orleans, my must sees are the French Quarter, Bourbon Street, St. Louis Catherdral, Jackson Square, City Park, and th French Market. Some of these are not kid/family friendly, but if you have kids with you a visit to Audubon Zoo is a must. I like history so I also recemmend the World War II Musuem, The Cabildo, Perservation Hall and the New Orleans Mint. Some of the places you might see on the half marathon route and the HM finishes near City Park.

Food is abundant in New Orleans - Cafe Du Monde - a must for beignets and coffee ( I like their chicory coffee) and Commanders Palace. Café Amelie is also a good restaurant. If you like oysters - Acme Oyster House. When in New Orleans, one must have shrimp and grits. Po-boy from anywhere is fabulous but the original (I think) po-boy place is in the French Market. Understandably, if you are on a special diet or do not want to try anything new before race day. If you do not make it to the original Café Du Monde, they have locations in the several malls and in the Riverwalk.

With Dad essentially living there, I’m liking some of these suggestions that I haven’t tried before. Will have to remember some of those to try next time. As someone who has played tourist there frequently. I recommend original cafe du monde, but I recommend it at about 7 am. Before it’s busy and completely sticky. I also encourage a ghost tour. Info/get shown around, possibly a bit of history, and good stories.
    Carousel bar, palace cafe, and cafe m’sparrows seem to be dads go to restaurants.
    One of my favorites from a dining and cultural experience is the Sunday jazz brunch at Muriel’s, it is out of my usual price range but worth every penny.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    re: Strava stalking

I get a lot of follow requests from names I don't always recognize. I assume most of them come from here, and I generally accept if the location sounds vaguely like somewhere I remember someone here talking about living or running. Yeah, I live on the edge. But I did "ignore" a user named "Strava runner" with no picture. Showed up later with a location of England. Still ignored him/her. Not enough clues to tell me it's someone I know online instead of a stalker bot.

That having been said . . . there have been several cases of someone I know slightly in the local running community ask, "Were you running on (road I run on frequently) last (day of the week that I don't remember exactly where I ran)?" They find me just seeing me by chance, not by cyberstalking.

I only accept Strava follow requests if they are also in the MFP club. Mainly just cause I do not want my feed there cluttered up with nonMFP people. :)
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    2/1 - 6.5km

6.5/110 km

I need to stop wimping out on cold days, I think. Oh well. I'm going to attempt an outdoor long run Saturday because the gym has been stupid busy which means they enforce the 30 minute treadmill time limit and I'm super slow which means I either need to wait for another round or jump on the elliptical and I think I hate the elliptical even more than the treadmill.

@JessicaMcB Namao is just about on exactly the opposite end of the city from me. Whatever date you settle on just let me know. I can make it work.

Upcoming Races:
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K ~38:00 (no official times)
    3/4/18 MEC Road Race #1 10K
    4/7/18 Jasper Half Marathon
    4/22/18 MEC Trail Race #1 5K
    5/20/18 MEC Trail Race #2 10K
    6/24/18 MEC Trail Race #3 15K
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon 10K
    9/2/18 MEC Trail Race #4 10K
    10/7/18 MEC Trail Race #5 15K