Options

Replies

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon

tell us about this race? Do you have to do the entire thing LIKE A CRAB??????

lol no but I think people dress up in crab costumes.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    2/1 5miles

An easy 5 miler. I really tried to keep it was since I have 14 on the schedule for tomorrow. My last few long runs have been difficult, but I wonder if it’s because I’m pushing hard the day before? So I’m testing out an easy run before my long run.

Excited to have a list of races to post!

3/18/2018 Shamrock half marathon
    10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon
    11/18/2018 Norfolk Harbor half marathon

Cool! My GF and friend are doing the Shamrock HM too! My friend and I are doing the Dolphin challenge which is the 5k Sat then HM Sunday. I always wanted to do Crawling Crab but I always seem to have a race on or near the date. Same with Norfolk Harbor HM. You got some great races scheduled! Hopefully the weather is better for Shamrock HM this year!

I've learned and relearned (and had to learn again) to have 2 easy days after a hard day and at least 2 easy days before. My recent hard workout last Friday 10 miles (2WU(8:30) (2x3@HM pace (7:00)4 min recovery between) 2WD(8:30)) made my 22 mile long "easy pace" turn out disastrous. I felt awful and beat up by the end.

This is my first time doing the shamrock half. I’ve run the 8k 3 years in a row now. The weather has always been nice on Saturday and terrible on Sunday. I’m really hoping that it will be nice on Sunday this year. Maybe because I am running it, it will!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    bride001 wrote: »
    I forgot to ask in my post from early day - my race in March is on a beach in hard packed sand. I ran this last year in road shoes, but should I look for trail shoes or other type shoes to run this race?

Beach run? I would do that barefoot personally... never found a show that was as good a barefoot on the beach. Unless it is not the same kind of beach sand I am used too...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I forgot to ask in my post from early day - my race in March is on a beach in hard packed sand. I ran this last year in road shoes, but should I look for trail shoes or other type shoes to run this race?

@bride001 Was there any issue with the shoes you wore last year? If not, wear the same type. Personally I would avoid gortex. First, I wouldn't buy a shoe you only were needing for a race once a year. Second, a gortex shoe is designed not to let water in so long as the water doesn't come over the top. If a wave does comes up over the top, however, not only is it not going to keep that water from getting in, it's not going to let that water out and you'll be sloshing to the finish. Better to have a shoe designed to drain well and sock which can get wet and still not give you blisters. I can't think a situation where I'd use a gortex shoe for running.

My experience with goretex is that it does let water out - the whole point is that it's breathable as well as water resistant. Since my feet blister the instant they get wet, I really really rely on keeping them dry, and I run in a wetland preserve. Running last year in 100 degree weather my sock were barely damp in goretex, and well fitted shoes stay dry in ankle deep water. The only time they failed me was when they were pretty old and it seemed like between one day and the next, the goretex just gave up the ghost.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

Beach run? I would do that barefoot personally... never found a show that was as good a barefoot on the beach. Unless it is not the same kind of beach sand I am used too...
    I ran on the beach for the first time last summer along the Outer Banks. I had planned on 5 miles but had to stop after 3. I was running barefoot and the sand was just like...well...sandpaper. It did a great job smoothing out my feet and wearing down my calluses but it got to the point of nearly having raw feet and I had to stop. I enjoyed running barefoot, for as far as I could.

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @bride001 from your upcoming race list it looks like you're in Louisiana. I'm doing the Rock n' Roll HM in New Orleans in March, and it'll be my first time in the state/city. I'm really excited! Any particular must sees/must do's you'd recommend, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks! :)
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - Here are a couple of pictures I took duirng the run last year. Race start is close to evening and they also have a 13 mile option. The picture with all the shoe tracks is the type of sand we run on. I do not feel comfortable running barefoot on this sand becuase of debris in the water - there seems to be lots of twigs and sticks that wash up on the beach
    @7lenny7 - I ran in some old road shoes i had last year. Biggest problem last year was sand in the shoes and not water. Probably can't avoid the sand in the shoes.

laaz0s8rcvhn.jpg
    3s8jcj63nx5v.jpg
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    2/1 Run 10.31 miles
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @sarahthes through my keto weirdness I made a contact at Running Room Edmonton, now we are working on scheduling me to come into a couple of groups as a guest speaker. Are you kicking around in early March? Team MFP meet up? Haha ;)

@JessicaMcB Do you have a rough date? I am just guessing it's one of the Mid-Week run classes. By then I must need an Edmonton Trip.

@PastorVincent SHOES QUESTION
    I have 3 differant Shoes ( brands or models ) in rotation. Not sure if it helps me with injury reduction or not.
    What I do like is if all of a sudden I get a niggle I set that shoe aside and run exclusively in the other shoes - to see if the niggle goes away which indicates end of life on the shoe or hangs around which means something is hurt.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Wow this thread is moving fast today. Hi to all the new people!

@BrookeRunningMom Congrats!

@JessicaMcB I will be around. I think I'm on call for most of the month which means I can't really go anywhere I might lose cell phone coverage... so no trips out of town for me!

@juliet3455 An MFP Running Club party!

It's dumb stupid cold here and colder than my personal running threshold so I'll hit the gym after work except I left my bag at the top of the stairs so I have to go home first. Supposed to be colder on Saturday but right now I'm leaning towards bundling up and doing it anyway so I can get a few longer runs in awful conditions under my belt in case the weather sucks at Jasper (April in the Rockies could really go either way...).

I am eyeing a St Patrick's Day race solely because of the bling. Will probably decide tomorrow.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    So I got my current shoes in August... I avg like 40-50 miles a week... call that 5 months... so like 20 weeks.... so probably like 800-1000 miles?

Hmm. Maybe it is time for new shoes. Bah.
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 - In New Orleans, my must sees are the French Quarter, Bourbon Street, St. Louis Catherdral, Jackson Square, City Park, and th French Market. Some of these are not kid/family friendly, but if you have kids with you a visit to Audubon Zoo is a must. I like history so I also recemmend the World War II Musuem, The Cabildo, Perservation Hall and the New Orleans Mint. Some of the places you might see on the half marathon route and the HM finishes near City Park.

Food is abundant in New Orleans - Cafe Du Monde - a must for beignets and coffee ( I like their chicory coffee) and Commanders Palace. Café Amelie is also a good restaurant. If you like oysters - Acme Oyster House. When in New Orleans, one must have shrimp and grits. Po-boy from anywhere is fabulous but the original (I think) po-boy place is in the French Market. Understandably, if you are on a special diet or do not want to try anything new before race day. If you do not make it to the original Café Du Monde, they have locations in the several malls and in the Riverwalk.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Wow this thread is moving fast today. Hi to all the new people!

@BrookeRunningMom Congrats!

@JessicaMcB I will be around. I think I'm on call for most of the month which means I can't really go anywhere I might lose cell phone coverage... so no trips out of town for me!

@juliet3455 An MFP Running Club party!

It's dumb stupid cold here and colder than my personal running threshold so I'll hit the gym after work except I left my bag at the top of the stairs so I have to go home first. Supposed to be colder on Saturday but right now I'm leaning towards bundling up and doing it anyway so I can get a few longer runs in awful conditions under my belt in case the weather sucks at Jasper (April in the Rockies could really go either way...).

I am eyeing a St Patrick's Day race solely because of the bling. Will probably decide tomorrow.

Oh I get a severe case of bling envy when I see some of the medal photos people post on here. Though the half I'm doing in May on Martha's Vineyard has just released details of the bling on offer and I'm seriously excited.

http://www.marthasvineyardmarathon.com
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    On shoes - my favorite is Skora's Tempo and now that they are back in business I just ordered a pair of Forms - they were on sale, 25% off, so I figured why not... I have Altras and Topo Athletics as well as a pair of newer Saucony Kinvaras. I seem to have lots of problems with the sizing of Altras but I have heard they are getting better. I don't find them often here in stores to be able to try them on so then I end up paying to return/exchange. I typically wear 0 drop or 4mm and the Kinvaras are about as cushioned as I can deal with. They are also heavier than any of my other shoes so I only wear them for shorter training runs and I have problems with the heels slipping and my toes going to sleep. I have tried Brooks, NB and Asics used to be my go to shoe but I can't wear them any longer.
    @hjeppley - if you like Altras you might also check out Skora or Topo. So far my Skora Tempos are my favorite road shoe but I haven't run in the Forms yet. One thing I really like about the Form is it has an adjustable strap on the heel so that you can make it tighter if you have a narrow heel that tends to slip. Their shoes fit really well in the heel anyway but this just makes it a bit better.

Thanks! I might just need to look at that. I've struggled with finding shoes that are low drop, wide in the toe box but narrow in the heel so those sound like they might do the trick as well. I've been frustrated with the longevity of the sides of the Altras--I seem to split through the fabric on the fronts of my shoes--inside sometimes, outside sometimes. It'd be nice if the upper lasted as long as the cushioning!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes @BruinsGal_91 I think I only run for the bling sometimes. I was scrolling through facebook the other night and was all "I need to do this Utah marathon because the medal looks amazing!"
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I don’t know if I could run all winter in just a tank top but it’s definitely been warm enough lately. When I started running tho I would wear 3 tops and a hoodie but I like to run before 4am and it’s still pretty chilly then.