February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    My first 10k is in 9 weeks! I'm super nervous. I hope training goes well (no injuries!). Any advice on transitioning from 5ks to 10ks? Any training plans I should consider?

Lauren

Well a lot of people like "Bridge to 10k" which is the plan that follows Couch to 5k.

Another option are the famous Hal Higdon plans: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51121/10K-Training-Guide

However as pointed out already, you have run 6.5 miles. That is more than 10k, so you are already ready.

Running a 10k is not much different than running a 5k, the biggest problem is still starting too fast. So learn your 10k pace (the same pace you ran 6.5 miles at) and you will be fine. :smile:

When is your next race? That will impact how you can train more than anything else at this point.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @lporter229 - I think you made the wise choice. Listen to your gut when you are out there, and if it tells you to bail out, bail out.
  • LaurenFOB2301
    LaurenFOB2301 Posts: 84 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @LaurenFOB2301 Well the good news is that a 10K is 6.2 miles and you have run 6.5 so you know you have the capacity.

I used the Bridge to 10K program, myself, and it was fine. I ran a 10K race about 2 weeks after finishing and did great, other than missing a turnaround and running 11.2K...

Wait, what? You missed a turnaround and ran 11.2 K?! LOL. That's awesome (but also sucked at the time, I'm sure.) :wink:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 - I think you made the wise choice. Listen to your gut when you are out there, and if it tells you to bail out, bail out.

Yeah, it was mostly my gut just telling me that I should bail. I don't usually get too creeped out, but with all that has been going on in the area, I just couldn't get the mental images of bad thing that "could" happen out of my head, which din't make for very fun running...although my last mile was the fastest!
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    28 Mile goal.

2/1: yoga
    2/2: 5 mile evening walk
    2/3: RUN!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    My first 10k is in 9 weeks! I'm super nervous. I hope training goes well (no injuries!). Any advice on transitioning from 5ks to 10ks? Any training plans I should consider?

Lauren

Well a lot of people like "Bridge to 10k" which is the plan that follows Couch to 5k.

Another option are the famous Hal Higdon plans: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51121/10K-Training-Guide

However as pointed out already, you have run 6.5 miles. That is more than 10k, so you are already ready.

Running a 10k is not much different than running a 5k, the biggest problem is still starting too fast. So learn your 10k pace (the same pace you ran 6.5 miles at) and you will be fine. :smile:

When is your next race? That will impact how you can train more than anything else at this point.

I agree with most of this, but your racing pace for a 10K would NOT be the pace of your recent 6.5 mile run. Race pace is usually faster than your training pace, particularly when that training run was on trails. Finding your race pace for a particular distance the first time you run it is tough, I think. Ideally you want to run an even pace throughout, except perhaps a strong finishing sprint, and you want to just be at edge of having nothing left at the end. Go too fast and you can't keep up the pace to the end and start to fade. Go too slow and you haven't gone as fast as you could have. I've done both. I'd rather got a little to slow and push harder at the end than go too fast and fade at the end (and get passed).

It will take a few races to get a feel for the effort required. If you're a new runner, and you've run a 5K at a pace you felt good about, I'd use that same pace for the 10K. Normally a 10K would be run a little slower slower, but as a new runner your speed and endurance are increasing so my thinking is by the time your 10K rolls around, that will be about the right speed.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Lauren

I agree with most of this, but your racing pace for a 10K would NOT be the pace of your recent 6.5 mile run. Race pace is usually faster than your training pace, particularly when that training run was on trails. Finding your race pace for a particular distance the first time you run it is tough, I think. Ideally you want to run an even pace throughout, except perhaps a strong finishing sprint, and you want to just be at edge of having nothing left at the end. Go too fast and you can't keep up the pace to the end and start to fade. Go too slow and you haven't gone as fast as you could have. I've done both. I'd rather got a little to slow and push harder at the end than go too fast and fade at the end (and get passed).

It will take a few races to get a feel for the effort required. If you're a new runner, and you've run a 5K at a pace you felt good about, I'd use that same pace for the 10K. Normally a 10K would be run a little slower slower, but as a new runner your speed and endurance are increasing so my thinking is by the time your 10K rolls around, that will be about the right speed.

Good point on pace. I see now she said 9 weeks till her 10k, so if she trains that whole time her 10k pace might very well be her current 5k pace.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

This! Always!

It's not uncommon for victims to say that they felt something was wrong but thought they were being silly or didn't want to make a scene. There's often a good reason for that unease.

https://www.emsworld.com/article/10319858/trust-your-gut

Gavin de Becker calls this the Gift of Fear and wrote a great book about it.

• Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    02/02 3.71 miles

exercise.png
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    @BruinsGal_91 – I can’t wait to hear about your Martha’s Vineyard HM. Is this its second year? I seem to remember seeing it advertised as an inaugural last year. I’m tempted by this one and there is one in Maine that also has been calling my name.

I'm curious which Maine half you're eyeing. I did the Bay of Fundy International Half last year and it was a lot of fun. And very cool too, because you get to run across an international border!

This one is in the Acadia National Park. https://barharborinn.com/events/mdi-ymca-acadia-half-marathon-10k/
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    HRKinchen wrote: »
    Rest day today, but I'm not gonna lie: I could really use a good run. Having a rough couple of days right now. A certain relative who gave us a knockout rose bush to plant when my son was born - as a beautiful memento that we could watch grow as he does - took it upon herself yesterday while we were at work to "prune" it back from 4.5' tall to about 12". :angry: Plus, my grandmother passed. There are just no words. But that's two funerals in as many weekends.

Sunday can't come soon enough.

MTD: 2.75/45
    YTD: 50.35/500
    2/1 - 2.75

Goals for 2018:
    - Run 500 miles
    - Run a nonstop (no walking) 5K
    - Run/walk my first 10K
    - Run 3+ trail races
    - Run in 3+ states
    Stretch Goal: Run/walk a HM

Races:
    1/27 - Mississippi Blues Marathon 5K (Registered) - DNS
    2/14 - Luv 2 Run 2.14M virtual (Registered)
    2/18 - Q50 Trails Extravaganza 5M (Registered)
    3/10 - Hammond Shamrock Run 5K
    3/18 - Shamrockin Run 8K in NOLA
    3/31 - Crescent City Classic 10K
    4/20 - Star Wars Dark Side 5K in WDW (Registered)
    5/12 - Q50 Cinco de Mayo Trail Race 5K
    6/21 - Summer Solstice 6.21M

I'm so sorry about your grandmother.

Roses like being pruned, hopefully it will be back soon even better than before.
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    HRKinchen wrote: »
    Rest day today, but I'm not gonna lie: I could really use a good run. Having a rough couple of days right now. A certain relative who gave us a knockout rose bush to plant when my son was born - as a beautiful memento that we could watch grow as he does - took it upon herself yesterday while we were at work to "prune" it back from 4.5' tall to about 12". :angry: Plus, my grandmother passed. There are just no words. But that's two funerals in as many weekends.

Sunday can't come soon enough.

MTD: 2.75/45
    YTD: 50.35/500
    2/1 - 2.75

Goals for 2018:
    - Run 500 miles
    - Run a nonstop (no walking) 5K
    - Run/walk my first 10K
    - Run 3+ trail races
    - Run in 3+ states
    Stretch Goal: Run/walk a HM

Races:
    1/27 - Mississippi Blues Marathon 5K (Registered) - DNS
    2/14 - Luv 2 Run 2.14M virtual (Registered)
    2/18 - Q50 Trails Extravaganza 5M (Registered)
    3/10 - Hammond Shamrock Run 5K
    3/18 - Shamrockin Run 8K in NOLA
    3/31 - Crescent City Classic 10K
    4/20 - Star Wars Dark Side 5K in WDW (Registered)
    5/12 - Q50 Cinco de Mayo Trail Race 5K
    6/21 - Summer Solstice 6.21M

I'm so sorry about your grandmother.

Roses like being pruned, hopefully it will be back soon even better than before.

Thank you. She had been ailing for a while, so it wasn't completely unexpected. And she is at peace now. Just hard.

As for the roses, it's more about our emotional attachment to the bush and the shock of coming home to such an extreme pruning (I'm a firm believer in not pruning more than 1/2 and preferably not more than 1/3), completely without warning. Like, who does that?!?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    RunTimer wrote: »
    Count me in for another 50miles!

THANKS, @MobyCarp, @Teresa502 : you both helped with glove suggestions, so I need to share this find ...
    (literally found walking the streets of S.F. :smile:

https://www.decathlon.com/ (atheletics UK store, now establishing a prescence in the states)

these are snug, warm (for moderate weather) and were only $11 bucks!..easily replaces the lost pair (I only wish they came in brighter colors, since I run and dart and visibility is critical...
    but..
    did I mention they were only 11$???
    Lots of other cool stuff here for runners bikers, archers, badmintoners, and the like..
    Now, what with the warm snap, I'm actually hoping for a cold day to try em out!! :wink:

62699c14-4dc9-4157-8448-8e8f549eccab_large.jpg?v=151167734561ba8d07-caba-48cc-b2cb-6e6f32abef6e_1024x1024.jpg?v=15116773457df0f106-2b74-4ef2-963d-23e837bda765_1024x1024.jpg?v=1511677345

I have a similar pair (Hind brand) that I found at TJMaxx. I LOVE these gloves. They are the only thing I have found that even remotely work at keeping my hands warm.