Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is a calorie equal to a calorie?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Synecdoche. Synecdoche. Synecdoche

Gonna keep sayin' it; ain't gonna change a thing. Well, maybe it'll let me keep reading for laffs and kittez without my head exploding. It's like my modern mantra. Wait, that's a different thread, isn't it?

I honestly have no idea what your point is other than that you're laughing at us? I guess that's the MFP way.

IMO it's the root of the communication problem here.

"A calorie is not a calorie" is using synecdoche.

That is why I always explain that "a calorie is a calorie" does not mean "a food is a food" and that "a calorie" -- at least as used here -- is NOT a synonym for food.

I've had people insist "I'm not doing that!" and in the same post insist that calories are not the same because broccoli has more nutrients than donuts.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Sometimes people forget that a calorie is a unit of measurement (as discussed above) and think it's a synonym for food. That seems to be what you are doing in your first post, OP. When people say "a calorie is a calorie," they don't mean foods are the same in terms of nutrients or how full you might feel. They mean that they are the same unit of measurement and, of course, that if you overeat on a "healthy" diet you will gain and if you have a calorie deficit on a less healthy diet you will still lose.

Acknowledging that truth doesn't mean that someone is recommending that you not eat a healthful diet, obviously.

In line with what WinoGelato is pointing out, I looked to see what my first post in this thread was (yes, it's about ME), and at least I seem to have been consistent, even if it makes me realize how much I am tilting at windmills.

From page one, heh.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    When I go on my holiday to the land of the Americans I'm going to get some weird flavoured Oreos (we have some here but not as many as the literal 100s in the States) and do an MFP taste test.

we dont have 100s. they now have a red hots candy flavored(hot cinnamon creme) and now a hazelnut one. but some of the flavors are seasonal and some are sold only at walmart and some only sold at target while others are sold at other stores as well.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    When I go on my holiday to the land of the Americans I'm going to get some weird flavoured Oreos (we have some here but not as many as the literal 100s in the States) and do an MFP taste test.

we dont have 100s. they now have a red hots candy flavored(hot cinnamon creme) and now a hazelnut one. but some of the flavors are seasonal and some are sold only at walmart and some only sold at target while others are sold at other stores as well.

And I may not have actually been being literal. I'm British, we enjoy exaggeration laced with sarcasm.

Make sure you try Banana Split! And Cookie Dough!! And Peanut Butter!!! And Mint!!!! And Red Velvet!!!!!

Wait... we DO have a lot of flavors for Oreos! :o
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

And I may not have actually been being literal. I'm British, we enjoy exaggeration laced with sarcasm.

well there are so many that yeah sure it seems like 100s though. :)
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options

Make sure you try Banana Split! And Cookie Dough!! And Peanut Butter!!! And Mint!!!! And Red Velvet!!!!!

Ew. Original only (with the exception of the original thins. Those are great)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    if eating bad foods or diet foods prevented me from losing weight Id still be over 200lbs. I got fat eating a lot of fruits and veggies because I ate more calories than I was taking in. I lost weight this time because I ate what I wanted in moderation,some days moderation went out the window. The thing is eating too much of any food can cause weight gain,ask the vegans or vegetarians here that are overweight or were overweight.

now Im still eating things I like just less of them which is less "calories" and Im losing weight. certain foods that may make one person overeat causing weight gain,may not cause another to overeat.My cholesterol and other health markers improved from losing weight and being on a low fat,low cholesterol,high fiber diet.But then again I have a health issue that calls for that type of diet.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    Synecdoche. Synecdoche. Synecdoche

Gonna keep sayin' it; ain't gonna change a thing. Well, maybe it'll let me keep reading for laffs and kittez without my head exploding. It's like my modern mantra. Wait, that's a different thread, isn't it?

I honestly have no idea what your point is other than that you're laughing at us? I guess that's the MFP way.

IMO it's the root of the communication problem here.

"A calorie is not a calorie" is using synecdoche.

That is why I always explain that "a calorie is a calorie" does not mean "a food is a food" and that "a calorie" -- at least as used here -- is NOT a synonym for food.

I've had people insist "I'm not doing that!" and in the same post insist that calories are not the same because broccoli has more nutrients than donuts.

Yes. Some people are - it seems - somehow unable to understand this - to understand that they themselves use the same word to mean different things. They know what they mean by the word in each case, and seemingly have trouble putting themselves in the reader's shoes, when the reader (you, in the case you describe) is confounded by their usage.

I think there's a tendency, perhaps especially common among people who are not as natively inclined to be abstract and analytic, to tightly bind words to what they mean by them in the moment, as if the word were the thing meant, not just a label for the thing.

I'm not sure some of the professional writers (magazines, blogs) even understand that when they say "a broccoli calorie is not like a donut calorie" that they're using a figure of speech, either.

For sure, many of their readers completely do not understand that. Instead, they may think of calories as some kind of compartmentalizing subdivision of that food, as if you minced the donut up into 1-calorie bits that still had all the properties of donut-ness.

This is a tempting conceptualization, I think, partly because calories are numeric.

Obviously, (to some, anyway) the number of calories in a food is a descriptor or attribute of the food, analogous to the food's color or texture or flavor. It's not a subdivision of the food, even though it's countable. Most people wouldn't make this conceptual misstep with the color of the food - thinking, somehow, that the color can stand in for the food in other respects.

But they might have that same synecdoche-confusion problem with other countable things - believe that a square inch (cm) of broccoli is not the same as a square inch (cm) of donut, for example. I think that's where some of the "pound of feathers vs. pound of bricks" arguments go south, for example.

But I think the "calorie as subdivision" fallacy is easier to fall into, and a little harder to explain to someone who's fallen into it, because exactly what calories are is a little abstract or arcane, whereas inches (cm) are an everyday, kind of concrete thing we all deal with.

I don't know that there's any effective way to explain this to someone who's really stuck in that "calorie as subdivision" conceptual frame.

On the flip side, there are some of what I might call language strict constructionists, who consider (rightly IMO) "a calorie is a calorie" to be a completely obvious tautology, even when you throw in modifiers ("broccoli calorie").

Because some of these people are highly analytical, I would've thought that more in this group might understand the nature of the problem as I do, as rooted in in a synecdoche gone bad, where a figure of speech has slipped over to become a conceptual trap.

I've seen a few threads where the old "muscle heavier than fat" trap has actually been at least partly reconciled by sort of pointing out the invisible ellipsis ("for the same volume") that is implicitly meant . . . sometimes implicitly meant by people who don't necessarily have the analytic or abstraction conceptual tools that let them clearly recognize that they did implicitly mean it.

I have a fond hope that we could achieve a similar reconciliation someday for "a calorie is/is not a calorie", but its inarguably a tougher case.

I feel like I'm rattling on badly (as usual ;) ) and not explaining very clearly what I mean - *baby feline* words, anyway! - so I'm just gonna stop, even though there are doubtless still typos, maybe bad ones.

• PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options

I see your red velvet Oreos and raise you..........

7qjymo75cg2r.jpg

landscape-1458727991-giphy.gif?resize=768:*
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I know that isn't earth shattering for any of you, but I'm telling myself to let all this go.

I do this every day on here @cmriverside . A random internet forum/people is so not worth getting worked up over! I don't even click on the ACV, keto etc etc etc threads any more. Also, if someone wants to start a shitfight with me I just click onto another thread, move on and forget about it. I just couldn't be bothered...

I'm determined to make MFP a happy place to visit, debating and arguing ad lib just frustrates me and makes coming here an annoying experience :(
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Because some of these people are highly analytical, I would've thought that more in this group might understand the nature of the problem as I do, as rooted in in a synecdoche gone bad, where a figure of speech has slipped over to become a conceptual trap.

I think what you said is very insightful, although I'm less nice or understanding or patient than you, and I actually think if people continue to misunderstand they must be trying to. My working theory is that they get something from the misunderstanding (or pretended belief that we are saying that all foods are the same) -- namely the ability to tell themselves that everyone else (or all but their select few) are falling into this calorie myth where we are too dumb to get that broccoli is not a donut. Because I see it -- not initially, initially I agree with you about the source, but when persisted in despite clear and repeated explanation -- as coming from this kind of negative place, I think it is willful ignorance, and not mere failure to understand.

But like I said, you are likely nicer than me! ;-)
    I've seen a few threads where the old "muscle heavier than fat" trap has actually been at least partly reconciled by sort of pointing out the invisible ellipsis ("for the same volume") that is implicitly meant . . . sometimes implicitly meant by people who don't necessarily have the analytic or abstraction conceptual tools that let them clearly recognize that they did implicitly mean it.

Yes, agreed, and although this one frustrates me too (I think "for the same volume" is obviously implied and pretending that someone who says "muscle weighs more than fat" more likely means "a lb of muscle weighs more than a lb of fat" -- a belief so bizarre and incomprehensible that it would strike me as insulting for someone to attribute it to me unless I said that precise thing -- to be annoying, I do often try to explain it and on occasion it works.

That's similar to why I do pedantically explain that "a calorie" is not a small piece of a food or a measure of that food, but a quality of food, and that there is no such thing as a "steak calorie" and that "a calorie is a calorie" does not mean "a food is a food" and all the rest.

So far, I usually don't even get a response that is substantive. I get told that I clearly don't care about nutrition.

Sigh.

But I do appreciate that you are less jaded on this topic than I am.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options

I think what you said is very insightful, although I'm less nice or understanding or patient than you, and I actually think if people continue to misunderstand they must be trying to. My working theory is that they get something from the misunderstanding (or pretended belief that we are saying that all foods are the same) -- namely the ability to tell themselves that everyone else (or all but their select few) are falling into this calorie myth where we are too dumb to get that broccoli is not a donut. Because I see it -- not initially, initially I agree with you about the source, but when persisted in despite clear and repeated explanation -- as coming from this kind of negative place, I think it is willful ignorance, and not mere failure to understand.

But like I said, you are likely nicer than me! ;-)

Yes, agreed, and although this one frustrates me too (I think "for the same volume" is obviously implied and pretending that someone who says "muscle weighs more than fat" more likely means "a lb of muscle weighs more than a lb of fat" -- a belief so bizarre and incomprehensible that it would strike me as insulting for someone to attribute it to me unless I said that precise thing -- to be annoying, I do often try to explain it and on occasion it works.

That's similar to why I do pedantically explain that "a calorie" is not a small piece of a food or a measure of that food, but a quality of food, and that there is no such thing as a "steak calorie" and that "a calorie is a calorie" does not mean "a food is a food" and all the rest.

So far, I usually don't even get a response that is substantive. I get told that I clearly don't care about nutrition.

Sigh.

But I do appreciate that you are less jaded on this topic than I am.

Thank you. This gives me hope that I sort of got my point across, though I know you to be a careful and thoughtful reader, so I'm sure you met me more than half way.

I'm mulling whether one might construct an analogy around a nutrient that would be more useful or persuasive, along the lines of "apricots and beef each have potassium, but most of us wouldn't say 'a beef potassium is not an apricot potassium'", but the thought is still problematic, not fully mature yet . . . I may just stick it in the idea incubator for a while and see if anything eventually hatches.

Shifting slightly: I feel like some of the willful misunderstanding in these threads - usually happening some on both sides - is about digging a defensive trench around one's own argument once the firing starts, focusing on perceived gaps in the other side's arguments (even if that requires misinterpreting them!), throwing zingers, etc. At that point, some/many/most parties are not invested at all in finding common understanding. Finding a disarming communication strategy - metaphorically, sorta using Aiki - is probably the only way in, and that's not easy.

As far as being nicer: Way no. Remember, I'm the one who made the helpful, patient, and genuinely nice @diannethegeek, whom I appreciate and admire, think I was jerkily laughing at everyone earlier in this thread.

Nor patient: So far from! I'll admit to wanting to try to help newer people in a place that's been so transformationally helpful to me, even though my native tendency toward sarcasm and snark trips that up sometimes. Mostly, it's that I think the ways words & language work in human brains are bizarre and fascinating, so that (non-life-threatening) communication challenges are a fun kind of puzzle to work at sometimes.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean a calories is a unit of measure in energy

If you have 300 calories in pure suger vrs 300 calories in complex carbs you will have difrent longevity of energy

that would be like going to the Indy 500 with a beat up old car because a car is a car

Maybe come back when you have an understanding of what 'energy' is (in the sense of 'energy balance', which is what defines how weight is lost or gained) and it will make more sense to you.

I do now, The point is at one time I didn't, I looked for advise from those that are supposed to be experts. to say a calorie is a calorie and then say well you need to learn physics is ridiculous.

I am not going to sell and Insurance policy without breaking it down to an understandable language that people can understand in a practical real world way

Same way giving that advice to a person new to losing weight is harmful

and that's the last I will say on it

We're saying that because there are multiple types of energy. And you are confusing two of them. You are telling us we aren't correct because you aren't understanding the terms we are using. But you don't want to talk about it anymore so it is what it is I guess :drinker:

Because I don't really want to argue or make everyone angry and I can see this is going nowhere

All I wanted to do is try and make people aware that the blanket statement that a calorie is just a calorie can cause harm.

I didnt get it here when I was told this it was from my heart doctor well before I seen this forum. All I am saying is that blanket advice took me from 320lbs to 360 lbs and a lot of pain struggling with binging.

I have since went to the internet becuase I was 368 and learned how to eat right. Now I am at 305

I know see this same blanket statement on this forum and all I want is for the next person to not be misled. I am not trying to start a fight I just know the pain I have had over it and dont want to see others do the same, That is all

...but...but...
    and that's the last I will say on it

You lost weight because your caloric intake was less than your caloric output. How is this confusing?

My calorie intake is less because the calories I take in work better

...and your proof is?

j6r9vydpz8k0.png

Why are people feeding the T ........

I think someone has made a second account...again.