You Brits are so funny

Options
12346»

Replies

• reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    arghhhhhhhhhh

There is NO British accent. that is like saying I love the American accent and including Canada and Mexico in the mix, I am aware that people from different parts of the US talk with very different accents, I would hope that most Americans would be aware that not only is Britain a collection of countries that we talk with different accents all over the country.

I certainly do not talk like people from Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Yorkshire, Birmingham etc

I don't talk like people in Eastenders or Coronation Street.

You are absolutely right...and I will take it a step further...there are tons of American accents...

Boston, Down Home Yankee, New York, Brooklyn (it IS different from New York), Southern (includes, Carolina, Tennesee, Southern Belle, among others), Midwestern (which includes Yooper (upper peninsula Michigan), Michigan, Northern Plains ("Ya Ya"..."You betcha"...see Fargo), Chicago ("Da Bears"), traditional midwestern (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, etc.), East Texas, West Texas, South West Latino, Surfer guy West Coast, I could go on and on...)
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    PaulaDDuarte:
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE british accent!! Is so elegant and sexy

Clearly you've never heard anyone from Birmingham talk. They make your Deep South 'Deliverance' people sound like college professors
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Joyfulthanks:
    I was visiting a pub in England once, and saw a sign that said "English spoken here. American understood." Classic! :D

Can one of you Brits help me out? For the life of me, I can't figure out what foods qualify as a pudding in Britain? I thought I had a handle on it, but recently, one of my MFP friends said she ate a pudding made of ice cream. It sounded like what we call a sundae. I know you also have meat-based puddings.

In the U.S., a pudding only refers to a custard-like substance made with milk.

It can be any dessert for some people, but the origins are anything that requires a pudding bowl really whilst it's cooking. So that could be sweet or savoury.

For other language variations see below, (but since starting it I was interested to find out that some of the 'English' words are still in common use in various parts of the US, particularly New England)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/266055-uk-us-divided-by-a-common-tongue
  • Leigh_mc
    Leigh_mc Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Haha if only it was easy to explain puddings!! we kinda use the word "pudding" in reference to a desert of any kind ( you have breakfast, lunch, dinner and puddings) could be anything from ice cream apple pie ( or even another one people laugh at "spotted ****" lol) but then we also have things like steak and kidney puddings which is a savoury meal not a desert and also yorkshire puddings... so yeah not really easy to understand...it just is!!! lol

but then again throughout the uk everyone calls this different also, i am from north west england (near liverpool) and what alot of people call sandwiches we call them a a butty! so sorry this doesnt explain things probably makes it all that but more harder to understand LOL
  • joyfulthanks
    Options
    Thanks, all, for the help understanding puddings. I think I have a better grasp on it now...even if I don't fully understand it! ;)
  • leigh33ca
    leigh33ca Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with you. Whilst and learnt make great sense to me too.

Leigh

Haha, the idea of a "British" accent is so funny! Listen to someone from Northern Ireland, a Geordie, a Brummie, a Scouser, a Scot, a Welshman, a Cockney and someone with a stereotypical "posh" accent and then tell me what a British accent sounds like :D

I never realised the words "whilst" and "learnt" were funny to Americans though! They're just everyday words over here... What's odd about them?
  • sutekh
    sutekh Posts: 19
    Options
    I sound like a slightly less posher version of the great Patrick Stewart.

A couple of months ago, 'whilst':laugh: doing my hypnotherapy training, my client told me I had a wonderful voice for radio.
    I THINK that was meant as a compliment...
    :glasses:
  • sutekh
    sutekh Posts: 19
    Options
    btw, American ladies from the southern states, sound incredibly sexy to my ears.
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Sutekh, she didn't say a FACE for radio so I think you can pass it as a compliment.

And for the guy that said we cal Yorkshire puddings "puddings" and the American lady that said a pudding in america is something made from milk. Maybe that's why we called them puddings. Because Yorkshire puddings are made from milk, ha ha.
  • EvilDave14
    EvilDave14 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Sutekh, she didn't say a FACE for radio so I think you can pass it as a compliment.

And for the guy that said we cal Yorkshire puddings "puddings" and the American lady that said a pudding in america is something made from milk. Maybe that's why we called them puddings. Because Yorkshire puddings are made from milk, ha ha.

Yorkshire puddings used to be eaten as a dessert.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Great, now I was some Yorkshire Pudding. Stupid England
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing this British people have bad teeth thing, where does it come from?

Don't get me wrong I love a good politically incorrect stereotype, but bad teeth? Is that all people have on us?

I smell a lack of imagination!

War time propagander from WW2. It was an attemp to keep the US troops away from the UK girls. Didn't work!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    But their teeth.

My teeth are perfect, ta.
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    When I spent 10 days in England last year, I was up near Scotland, not even CLOSE to London etc. I spent every night listening to people talk. And when they'd ask to hear my accent, they were dumbfounded that I don't sound like John Wayne because apparently, John Wayne is the only "southerner" that they'd ever heard. They had taken a look at my Passport and saw that I was from Texas.

Correction.. just born there :) And John Wayne is actually from about 30mins from where I currently live (and pretty much grew up) in Iowa. They were shocked to find out that John Wayne was from Iowa!
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    But their teeth.

Um hai, we have an NHS which means our kids/poor people get free dental care, therefore actually manage to have better teeth than in countries where you have to be rich to afford medical stuff....like that country...ummm...America?

I've wondered who started all this nonsense about Brittish having bad teeth. I'm going to guess the ratio to good vs bad teeth is about the same in the US.

It's better here, every single child gets free dental and orthodontic work til they're 16, even longer if they stay in full time education! People out of work, on low income, pensioners, on benefits etc all get free dental care too. People that have bad teeth here do so out of choice, by not brushing their teeth or keeping dental appointments.
    People in countries without free health care often simply canny afford to look after their own and their family's teeth. Bad example but have you seen the Simpsons episode where Lisa needs braces? xD

anyway, I think the stereotype comes from the royal family/aristocracy, as a lot of them do have big teeth, but this is due to inbreeding within the top classes.