August Cycling Challenge: 150 miles, 1 month

Options

Replies

• carbonboy
    carbonboy Posts: 729
    Options
    Logging 13 miles. Nothing too unusual for this group but it was my first real ride as I'm just getting started!!!!

I wrote on anther thread: Took the bike out today with DH for my first 'real ride.' Earlier in the week I just went around my neighborhood. Turns out I didn't understand how the gearing system works and was riding around in 15th gear instead of 5th gear on relatively flat areas!embarassed I was wondering why it was so hard to pedal, just assumed I was really out of shape, lol. Sorry, that must sound very lame to the seasoned riders out there but I'm over 50 years old and only had a basic bike as a kid. I thought I underdstood it, but add traffic, gravel on the road and a healthy dose of fear and it was all a bit confusing at first.

So, we went out today for a 13 mile ride or so. Took our time and some breaks (saddle soreness even with good bike shorts). It went so well! I was blessed with perfect weather: not too hot, a bit of a breeze, pretty good traffic-wise given it was early Sunday. We took the long way home, a back country road with agricultural fields and beautiful scenery. Scores of bicyclists were headed the other direction, seemed to be some sort of race going on. Best part was that I was outside and loved it! Already thinking about when we can go again!bigsmile

Gotta love it when someone new discovers the joy of cycling. The saddle soreness goes away...eventually. Please let me know if you have any questions about bike gear, technique, bike etiquette, etc. Happy trails.
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't remember if I already posted that I'm up to 44.

QUESTIONS FOR SEMI-PRO or ELITE:
    Will the butt discomfort go away at some point?
    I want to ride from work to home which is a nice 44 mile ride and there are trails for most of the way. And I think my legs can make it but I don't know about my butt ( I just giggled I little bit), Any advise on making the saddle super comfy as in "I ride 2 hours everyday and no problem". I do use a cushioned lycra shorts which made it much better than at the beginning but I wonder if pros don't have this problem or should I just get over it.
    Thank you guys.
  • Somnifac
    Somnifac Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Yes, but it could require a trip to your local bike shop for a good fitting and/or a new saddle. Saddle are one of those very, very personal and specific things on a bike that no one can tell you "here, this will work for you." Everyone's sit bones are different, thus what works for one may not work for another. I've known riders who have literally gone through nearly 2 dozen saddles before they found one that worked for them. I was lucky, with proper adjustments the first one I tried worked just fine for me.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options

I want to ride from work to home which is a nice 44 mile ride and there are trails for most of the way. And I think my legs can make it but I don't know about my butt ( I just giggled I little bit), Any advise on making the saddle super comfy as in "I ride 2 hours everyday and no problem". I do use a cushioned lycra shorts which made it much better than at the beginning but I wonder if pros don't have this problem or should I just get over it.
    Thank you guys.

Like many things, the saddle is something your butt must get used to. Get on the bike. Wear GOOD padded shorts (be prepared to spend $50 to $100 for good gel padded shorts). Also, don't wear any other shorts over the bike shorts as this will lead to more discomfort. I know you feel silly in the spandex shorts. You will get over it. The shorts will help. The most important thing, however is time in the saddle. And be prepared for it to be uncomfortable for several weeks. Eventually, you will be able to ride 40 miles without your *kitten* hurting.
  • DurdenCycles
    DurdenCycles Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Thank you guys.

Like many things, the saddle is something your butt must get used to. Get on the bike. Wear GOOD padded shorts (be prepared to spend $50 to $100 for good gel padded shorts). Also, don't wear any other shorts over the bike shorts as this will lead to more discomfort. I know you feel silly in the spandex shorts. You will get over it. The shorts will help. The most important thing, however is time in the saddle. And be prepared for it to be uncomfortable for several weeks. Eventually, you will be able to ride 40 miles without your *kitten* hurting.

I'd like to add. Don't wear underwear under your shorts either. It will get better. Good luck.

I just found this thread. Everyone is doing a great job. Keep it up. There are very few things better than riding.
  • carbonboy
    Options

Unfortunately, no, the pain will never go away. Just kidding. Even as much as I ride, if I switch saddles it can take weeks until I can sit comfortably. Do make sure you have good shorts, and I would recommend bib shorts because they keep everything in place. If you don't know, bib shorts have an upper portion that goes over your shoulders like suspenders. It keeps everything snug and your shorts can't creep down. Good luck.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Okay, the first week went well:

Goal 200
    week 1 52
    to go 148

I'm on task for my goal.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Really cooled off nicely tonight. Rode 15 miles; 186 miles for August.

Looks like everyone else is doing well, so keep it up.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    wont be riding today...helping son paint....be back tomorrow....good luck all:flowerforyou:
  • mattellis2
    mattellis2 Posts: 152
    Options
    a little over 18 painful, painful miles tonight. i did not ride on sunday evening, and got rained out last night. it rained again early today, but i took off after it blew over. bad mistake. in august, in georgia, it cools off to about 85 degrees in the evening, and the humidity drops to just under 300%. ;) it would have been easier to swim those miles tonight i think!

120 for the month so far for me.

-matt
  • henney16
    henney16 Posts: 288
    Options
    16.36 Miles for today

A little over 170 to go for the month!

Keep up the good work everyone!!

-Dave
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    7.08 mi today.... updated ticker below
  • TDSeest
    Options
    Rode 15.5 miles tonight; 201 miles for the month. Keep on pedaling...
  • TDSeest
    Options
    Rode 17.5 miles this morning; 219 miles for the month.

Keep on riding. It's finally cooling down for us.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Well - I reckon there's still enough off the month to have a crack at this...

I've been off the bike for a month or so, after a combination of problems - crashed and damaged my right knee, then picked up a nasty case of invasive celulitis from one of the grazes on my left leg. A week of IV antibiotics, followed by 3 weeks of tablets - just signed off as being fit to ride on Monday afternoon.

So - yesterday I went out for a gentle spin - 11.2 miles per the Garmin 705. - 138.8 to go :)

No chance of a ride today, I'm afraid it's piddle-ing it down, and while i'm not a fair weather cyclist by any means, I don't relish getting my slightly frayed leg covered in road-dirt, and ending with more antibiotics.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm finally finished moving and got in my first (ugh!) ride of the month--well, not including the 2 mile ride to Sunday brunch! I'm on vacation for the next 10 days, so I'm hoping to catch up to you all quickly.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Thank you guys.

Some of it is just "toughening up" and getting used to your saddle. But part of the issue might actually be that your saddle is not the right one for you. Many of the stock saddles that come on a bike are low quality. Even when they're not, just because they're stock on your bike doesn't mean they fit you (the width of your sit-bones, etc). The saddles that tend to come on commuters/hybrids/comfort bikes are overly padded and are actually uncomfortable for longer distances. If you are really considering riding 44 miles per day, take your bike to a shop and get fitted to a good saddle. A reputable place will measure you, let you try a bunch of different saddles, and will also let you return a saddle after a week or even 30 days if it doesn't work for you. I tested a saddle earlier this summer that I didn't ultimately decide against until I'd put 250 miles on it already!
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    20.0miles today:flowerforyou: YAY
  • TDSeest
    Options
    16 more miles tonight; 235 miles for the month.
  • carbonboy
    Options
    1/3 of August down, 1/3 of my miles down. Back on track. Woohoo!!