What was your first “I’m getting fat” realization?

Options

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Saragirl2 wrote: »
    HDBKLM wrote: »
    cessi909 wrote: »
    @marykaylady2010: Yikes. Please proceed with caution with this guy. His comment is very much a red flag. Please don't normalize it.

I read it like he had an honest conversation with her and was very loving in what he said. I think a partner should be able to address weight gain that is causing physical attraction issues.

Not that it's up for a vote, but that's also how I interpreted it. The way it was shared in the post, at least, I got the impression that he was trying to share a specific concern that had negative potential for their relationship, and stressed that it didn't mean he'd stopped loving her. It's such dicey territory, isn't it, and I'm guessing he agonised over whether and how to say something before proceeding.

I think this would make an excellent thread. It seems it's hit a nerve with some of us. "How my weight affects my relationship with my partner?"

@Saragirl2 there's already a thread kind of like that. 61 pages and counting:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10538818/should-your-s-o-spouse-have-a-say-so-if-they-feel-you-are-too-thin-or-too-large#latest
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Trying on pants
  • Saragirl2
    Saragirl2 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    @aeloine Thank you!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Midwife referred me to a dietitian after my first pregnancy appointment because I was clinically obese. I just thought I was a bit tubby. Oops.

Unfortunately it's been up and down since then! Various things have been wake-up calls:

- Joint pain. I have pronated feet and they can't take the weight, they flatten and throw stress on my joints. That is probably my biggest "why".

- Struggling with stairs and hills

- Never being able to run for more than a few seconds. This has affected me at a lighter weight than many people, again because of the foot problems.

- Someone asked me "when is it due?" but my baby was born nine years ago. :s
  • ashlee_tx
    ashlee_tx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When someone asked if I was pregnant.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    ashlee_tx wrote: »
    When someone asked if I was pregnant.

I always viewed these kind of questions as thinly veiled insults no matter who says them or who its directed at. I would rethink your relationship with whoever it was that said that. Nobody goes around asking people if they are pregnant. There was a reason they said it.

Then again maybe I am just too cynical at times!
  • francisolorunfunmi
    Options
    Embarrassed of pictures of myself at creamfields
  • AlainaKayy
    AlainaKayy Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I started a new job, one where I don't have a dress code so I started wearing my jeans to work only to realize that they were uncomfortably tight around the stomach area, I had already realized my thighs were getting bigger but thought it was just unavoidable genetics. So now, I only have one pair of jeans that fit well and thats when the clouds faded and I saw what I really looked like in the mirror. It's amazing how naive and blind I was to the real facts.
  • chantalemarie
    chantalemarie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    crying when the doctor told me i was about 20 pounds heavier than i had EVER imagined
  • deetails26
    deetails26 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I always knew in my mind but it really hit me when my aunt, who has always been bigger than me, started weight watchers and lost a ton of weight and wanted me to go through her clothing that was now too big to see if I wanted anything before she donated it. It all fit me....
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Getting someone to take my picture somewhere special and then deciding not to post it. Before that. I almost never posted selfies; after that I switched to selfies since they show just head and shoulders. Now I like seeing my whole body profile shots again.
  • RecognitionT
    RecognitionT Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yesterday. Easter weekend took its toll.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I always knew I was fat.. I was bullied for it before I even reached an "overweight" weight because my face was round as a kid and I was kinda soft all over - even at a (higher end of) normal
    the biggest "i need to do something about this" was when I saw 90kg on my scales and I was struggling to find clothes big enough to fit me in normal clothing stores
  • chornak05
    chornak05 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The day after Easter last year. I was looking at a picture from Easter of my daughter (5 months old at the time) and me and my face looked soo puffy. I had 3 kids in 4 years and knew I had put on weight but just figured that's what happens when you have kids. I also was tired and just felt gross the majority of the time. I decided to see how much the scale said and weighed in at 165 lbs (5'6''). I was horrified. When I got pregnant with my now 6 year old, I was 145 and knew even then I wanted to lose a little weight. I immediately took a "before" picture, determined to drop weight. At the time, my goal was 145. A year later, I'm at 118 and very happy with my weight and build. I always thought I was "big boned" but it turns out I was just overweight.