My boss just pulled me in her office to talk about my toots.

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I guess I see both sides. Gas is a normal bodily function but it can also be tough to be stuck in the same space with extra smelly ongoing farts and being told not to spray air freshener.

Find an air freshesner that doesn't bother you and offer that to your co-workers. Try to leave the shared space if you feel like you are going to pass gas.
    Change your diet on work days if there is a particular food that makes you extra gassy or your farts extra smelly. I guess look at your food diary and see what is causing the most issue.Try not eating the troublesome foods for you 6-8 hours prior to work.
    Take something like gas-x or beano.

https://nutritionfacts.org/2011/12/05/beans-and-gas-clearing-the-air/
    I enjoyed that article too much.

I work from home now, but at my last few jobs with nasty air "fresheners", I brought in brands that didn't bother me, put that in the bathroom, and buried the offending one in the cleaning supplies.

What brands don’t bother you though? All the ones I’ve smelled were disgusting. What’s worse is when I look in the supply closet there’s like 600 more cans of the stuff because they buy in bulk.

• maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    This is too funny! I'm so sorry you were embarrassed though. That's never fun, especially in your own place of work. Air freshener makes me nauseous and give me headaches so I don't like when it's sprayed either. I'm not sure if you've tried the Mrs. Meyer brand but they have an air freshener that's not an aerosol so it's less harsh! I keep one in every bathroom of my house and one quick spray does the trick. I like the honeysuckle scent the best. They sell it at target and any other place like that! Maybe you could bring one into the office to leave out if someone feels inclined to spray something and it's way better than those lavender or Hawaiian scented frebreeze ones
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    edited February 2018
    hesn92 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I guess I see both sides. Gas is a normal bodily function but it can also be tough to be stuck in the same space with extra smelly ongoing farts and being told not to spray air freshener.

Find an air freshesner that doesn't bother you and offer that to your co-workers. Try to leave the shared space if you feel like you are going to pass gas.
    Change your diet on work days if there is a particular food that makes you extra gassy or your farts extra smelly. I guess look at your food diary and see what is causing the most issue.Try not eating the troublesome foods for you 6-8 hours prior to work.
    Take something like gas-x or beano.

https://nutritionfacts.org/2011/12/05/beans-and-gas-clearing-the-air/
    I enjoyed that article too much.

I work from home now, but at my last few jobs with nasty air "fresheners", I brought in brands that didn't bother me, put that in the bathroom, and buried the offending one in the cleaning supplies.

What brands don’t bother you though? All the ones I’ve smelled were disgusting. What’s worse is when I look in the supply closet there’s like 600 more cans of the stuff because they buy in bulk.

Anything from Whole Foods has been fine. The key for me is avoiding artificial fragrance. YMMV.

If I didn't have access to WF I'd try these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Meyers-Clean-Day-Freshener/dp/B009Q9PBW8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top
    https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Flower-Power-Fresheners-Lemongrass/dp/B00DSUNWPE/ref=sr_1_3_a_it

If you work in a big office where they buy in bulk, maybe round up a few other coworkers who are bothered by the product to speak to the purchasing person together.

I have a medical condition aggravated by artificial fragrances and have had my doctor write a note for various workplace situations, like storing the cleaning chemicals in the cleaning supplies closet, rather than in the bathroom.
  • fluffyjames44
    fluffyjames44 Posts: 12 Member
    Funniest. Thread. Ever. Lol x
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited February 2018
    ... one of these days you are going to rip one in public and find out what a "shart" is. :D

But seriously - I'm notorious at home for being the gassiest person with the least amount of control. At work, I've never polluted the office. I can control that area of my body more than my wife thinks I can... and speaking of my wife. She's only farted once in front of me and that was when I made her laugh too hard. It was when we first started dating and she was mortified. It was a stinky one too. I pretended to not hear it. lol
  • ashareem
    ashareem Posts: 47 Member
    Beano. Just saying.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Can we talk about squat farts now?
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    I mean it’s embarrassing and your colleague obviously felt it an embarrassing topic to bring up.im sure your boss wasn’t delighted either.

That said, I’d also be a bit peeved if someone was completely unbothered about making an uncomfortable work environment, be that farting, bad body odour or whatever else. Yes it’s natural but that doesn’t mean you can just go stinking the place up and not think that’s somewhat inconsiderate. Nip somewhere discrete to do it, mash every, uh, the bathroom?

I agree. This story is heckin funny but I'd be ticked off if I worked with someone who was ripping butt all day and stinking up the place and then told me not to spray something.

This is happening in my office right now. Someone is letting them go several times a day and I'm upset about it. There's a washroom. Occasional slips are one thing but making me feel sick for hours a day because you can't walk over to an occupied area is rude.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    We have a serial tooter in my office... it's a bit different when you're working in a customer-facing role though. She's loud-style tooted in front of clients, and I've nearly died! Apparently, she is "too emotionally delicate" for anyone to ask her to try to excuse herself when she wants to crack-a-rat
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    edited February 2018
    Kinda weird how the boss took the side of a new employee who was on the job just one day. I mean, you have seniority. You could have said, "Hey, I was here first!" Anyhoo, as others have said, I'd just excuse myself to fart elsewhere. And I'd complain loudly if someone sprayed lavender scented stuff in my air. I'm actually allergic to lavender.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    We have a serial tooter in my office... it's a bit different when you're working in a customer-facing role though. She's loud-style tooted in front of clients, and I've nearly died! Apparently, she is "too emotionally delicate" for anyone to ask her to try to excuse herself when she wants to crack-a-rat

crack-a-rat is killing me
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Agreed with the cracking-a-rat, trying not to laugh too hard and let one slip in my cube right now. I would say that is one of the plus sides of my line of work (mining), even though I'm in a cube farm everything pretty much smells like dirt so letting one go doesn't really make a difference.

That and with the type of people in this industry (we are all pretty dirty, it comes with the job) you are more likely to get a compliment than a complaint.
  • DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    :lol: guys, this was a one time thing. Of course I normally go fart somewhere else. That's what makes this whole thing so danged weird.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Gas x!