Today I Learned...

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Just checked a bunch of recent studies again on cardio vs strength training vs HIIT vs straight diet etc. Obviously, a combination of all yields the most complete fitness profile, but really it is a graduated approach overall.

First and foremost, for weight loss (reducing fat) diet and cardio still work better overall. The problem is still that weight is not always the best indicator of health improvements strength training will still reduce fat at a lower level than lifting, but lifting increases lean body mass, which falls into that recomp category (You don't lose as much fat but your gain muscle mass and "look" fitter). And HIIT is kind of a sweet spot between with good cardio and conditioning benefits overall.

Let's not even get started on how you can lift either light weight and high rep or high weight and low rep for gains...

The key is STILL, to do what works for you.

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    TIL the movie "She's All That" was ghostwritten by M. Night Shyamalan.

You're lying! For realz?

R. Lee Fleming, Jr. is officially credited as the sole screenwriter for the film, and in a 2002 interview, M. Night Shyamalan confirmed that he polished the screenplay while adapting Stuart Little and writing a spec script for The Sixth Sense. This was also confirmed in the film's audio commentary by director Robert Iscove.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She's_All_That#Writing
  • cee134
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Just checked a bunch of recent studies again on cardio vs strength training vs HIIT vs straight diet etc. Obviously, a combination of all yields the most complete fitness profile, but really it is a graduated approach overall.

First and foremost, for weight loss (reducing fat) diet and cardio still work better overall. The problem is still that weight is not always the best indicator of health improvements strength training will still reduce fat at a lower level than lifting, but lifting increases lean body mass, which falls into that recomp category (You don't lose as much fat but your gain muscle mass and "look" fitter). And HIIT is kind of a sweet spot between with good cardio and conditioning benefits overall.

Let's not even get started on how you can lift either light weight and high rep or high weight and low rep for gains...

The key is STILL, to do what works for you.

I like knowing this and don't want to waste effort on something that doesn't matter.

I also feel like if I lived on a farm I wouldn't have to worry about any of that.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    I like knowing this and don't want to waste effort on something that doesn't matter.

I also feel like if I lived on a farm I wouldn't have to worry about any of that.

I guess my biggest pet peeve is, the advertised condition people that completely buy into set mantras of "lift heavy or go home" and "squat bish". It dilutes important information for the average person coming here to learn about weight loss. Most haven't ever lifted weights or dieted, but the mob rule throws strong lifting and clean eating right at them, and we wonder why dropout rates are so high.

People could succeed on a simple dietary caloric cut and adding in 30 minutes of walking to start, then progressively modifying each of those. They NEVER even have to lift to really be fit, but type in 'fit' or 'fitness' and take a look at the images and information that comes up.

Anyway...I digress...

• pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options

I guess my biggest pet peeve is, the advertised condition people that completely buy into set mantras of "lift heavy or go home" and "squat bish". It dilutes important information for the average person coming here to learn about weight loss. Most haven't ever lifted weights or dieted, but the mob rule throws strong lifting and clean eating right at them, and we wonder why dropout rates are so high.

People could succeed on a simple dietary caloric cut and adding in 30 minutes of walking to start, then progressively modifying each of those. They NEVER even have to lift to really be fit, but type in 'fit' or 'fitness' and take a look at the images and information that comes up.

Anyway...I digress...

SWOON
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Anyway...I digress...

Agree. Baby steps. Exactly how I started. Counting calories, even if I was eating mac and cheese with ice cream for dinner. I weighed and counted it. Then I started learning about better food choices and making my calories count/using food as fuel vs. pleasure.

I also started with just walking, at first I could only go 20 minutes without wanting to give up. Then as I started learning and researching, I started building from there. I do LOVE lifting heavy but it took me over a year to get to that point. Yes, I do have better results with heavy lifting vs cardio and light lifting but I was satisfied with just cardio and watching what I ate for the first 40 lbs lost.

After that fat loss became a bonus of my efforts. I fell in love with pushing myself to do things I had never done before or ever thought I could do. I became stronger and more confident than I ever was, even when I was in high school.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

"I also feel like if I lived on a farm I wouldn't have to worry about any of that."

Farmers have winter, too.

"I guess my biggest pet peeve is, the advertised condition people that completely buy into set mantras of "lift heavy or go home" and "squat bish". It dilutes important information for the average person coming here to learn about weight loss. Most haven't ever lifted weights or dieted, but the mob rule throws strong lifting and clean eating right at them, and we wonder why dropout rates are so high.

Anyway...I digress..."

So agree!

• cee134
    Options
    TIL a penguin escaped from Tokyo Sea Life Park and thrived in Tokyo Bay for 82 days after scaling the 13 foot high wall and managing to get through a barbed-wire fence into the bay. The penguin, known only by its number (337) was later recaptured by the zoo keepers.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    That relationships and me just never seem to work well together!

Hugs. I know the feeling
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Hugs. I know the feeling

Life goes on hey..

The good thing about being into fitness - it’s a great outlet!
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options

Hugs. I know the feeling

Life goes on hey..

The good thing about being into fitness - it’s a great outlet!

That's a fact! My ex has been stomped on and knocked out cold numerous times during my workouts
  • empresssue
    empresssue Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    For the cazillionth time that I’m too impatient for my own good.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,451 Member
    Options

When the right one comes along it will :)
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL one of the most sought-after jobs in Venice is that of gondolier. There are only 425 licenses issued, and applicants must be Venetian by birth. Apprenticeships involve over 400 hours of training, and when a gondolier dies the license passes to the beneficiary, who then decides the replacement.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    TIL one of the most sought-after jobs in Venice is that of gondolier. There are only 425 licenses issued, and applicants must be Venetian by birth. Apprenticeships involve over 400 hours of training, and when a gondolier dies the license passes to the beneficiary, who then decides the replacement.

Very cool Cee.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL Cheetos were invented when an animal feed manufacturer in Wisconsin changed up their machine cleaning technique. They placed moist wheat on a grinder and found the grain puffed up when it came out. The company owner then took the end product, seasoned it, and invented the first cheese curl.