Random Thought For the Day

Replies

• empresssue
    empresssue Posts: 2,977 Member
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    The distance to the center of the Earth is 3,958.8 miles. The deepest hole ever dug to date is only 7.5 miles deep.

How far does one have to dig to reach China from the US???? :lol:
  • empresssue
    cee134 wrote: »
    empresssue wrote: »
    It is possible that a million years from now, the last existing book in the English language will be that copy of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that's in the glove box of the space car.

Did you not comment at some point that the space car wasn't going to last more than a year in space?

I did, that's why I said it's possible. Anything is possible, but not likely. Also, maybe the glove box protects the book. Who knows. @MeeseeksAndDestroy

Hmmmm, interesting.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Skating is just walking in cursive.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Weird "Huh?" moment for me today. Not sure why I never thought about it before, but in movies I see space stations and such spinning to create gravity, but I wonder what, if any, gravity is create by, say...engines or such. Do they create artificial gravity? Obviously they create centrifugal force, but is there gravitational pull that can be created as such, and I wouldn't think rotation in space creates central gravity either.

Now I have some studying to do'z.
  • empresssue

Which a lot of schools are no longer teaching.
  • cee134

I don't think schools should be teaching skating. :smiley:
  • empresssue

Somehow I knew you were going to go there. You did not disappoint..... :lol:
  • cee134

Somehow I knew you were going to go there. You did not disappoint..... :lol:

MFP can be very predictable at times.
  • cee134
    If you watch curling backwards, it's a bunch of yelling people desperately trying to fight off an approaching stone with a mop.
  • empresssue
    If you watch curling backwards, it's a bunch of yelling people desperately trying to fight off an approaching stone with a mop.

I’m still trying to figure out the scoring of it. It seems to be a mishmash of horseshoes, croquet & darts.
  • cee134
    edited February 2018

I’m still trying to figure out the scoring of it. It seems to be a mishmash of horseshoes, croquet & darts.

The scoring, though, really is simple: You want to come closer to a bulls-eye than your opponent when all the stones are thrown.

In curling terms: The team with the stone closest to the center of the button when the end is finished gets a point. If a team has two stones closer to the center of the button than its opponent, it gets two points, and so on.

It is impossible for both teams to score in an end, since points are awarded exclusively on the basis of which team did better in the end.

The best possible score in an end is 8-0, meaning one team got all eight stones closer to the button than its opponent. This is a “snowman” or curling’s equivalent of a perfect game.

If the two stones in question are EXACTLY the same distance from the button, they cancel each other out and move to the next closest one.

3pzcljvnyjy1.png
  • empresssue
    So, it matters not where in the bulls-eye you land, just so long as you're closer than your opponents. Well, that makes more sense.
  • cee134
    It must suck when billionaires wake up feeling like a million bucks.
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    Were we so obnoxious?
    I guess we were, payback’s a *kitten*
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    This is a place holder for this meme. Maybe I will get to use it one day.

5z0g25dnsn3d.jpg
  • cee134
    When you think about it, Shakespeare WAS the result of billions of monkeys trying to write stuff randomly for millions of years.
  • cee134
    There must be millions of people who still spell out B-E-A-UTIFUL in their head the same way Jim Carrey did in Bruce Almighty.