Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

which is the best diet for overall health and weight loss

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    imfornd wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Claim made: 33 g of carbs = crap.

Credible support for that claim = none.

33 = mil and cereal you know the way 99.9994% of the people eat their cereal Ill give you minus 2.6 fiber

You ranted about massive added sugar, and only 5.8 g of that is added sugar (and I still think you incorrectly added the sugar and the carbs).

But that's not what I'm talking about now. I'm talking about the baseless claim that 33 g of carbs = bad for you.

Why?

You can't give a reason.
  • russelljam08
    russelljam08 Posts: 167 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I wonder why I'm not fat? I mean I'd guestimate that about 40% of my diet is carbohydrates...when I was heavily plant based it was more like 50-60%...still not fat. And if carbs were the devil I'd imagine that every vegan on the planet would be morbidly obese...

I'm going to go eat my coconut curry potato and lentil stew now...with some evil cumin roasted cauliflower...probably gonna get keel over after that...though I hope not as I'm supposed to lead a 30 mile group ride tomorrow if the weather holds...people are counting on me...

Don't forget the donut afterwards.

Speaking of donuts, there were a group of bodybuilders on intensemuscle who replaced their normal carbs with glazed donuts, kids cereal, pancakes etc during their contest preps. They still came in the same condition as before less than 5% bodyfat. They called it Skiploading or something
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Still hasn't posted the labels of skim milk vs whole milk sugar content...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    what i am saying is that they are already getting the sugar from the F&V then they buy fat free stuff thinking it health only to be eating massive amount of Sugar - 20% carbs a day are more than enough 40% Fat needed for endocrine system and CNS function, 40% protein needed for muscle retention , blood production, enzyme production....

Sugar needed for ATP production but you can produce ATP with fats and not have all the ancillary issue associate with Sugar consumption

Who is doing this? Given the current trends (paleo, low carb, keto, "clean eating"), who exactly is buying this fat free stuff? Who is even making it anymore? I don't think my grocery store even sells Snackwells anymore and they were like the poster child for low fat snacks. The trendy snacks are higher fat things like coconut chips or things that are higher in fiber like roasted chickpeas.

All I posted was a 40-40-20 rule where carbs are 20 - people started blowing me up over it and i was left having to call up medical journals substantiating my opinion

That wasn't all you did. You also claimed that the food pyramid was still current, that people following it would be "pounding down pasta all day long," and that someone who was following the current food recommendations would be consuming "massive" amounts of sugar.

You also claimed that recommendations for fruit and vegetable consumption were the work of sugar companies so that they could more easily sell fat-free products to people (although how this connection is supposed to work still isn't exactly clear to me).

You've made a lot of claims here and they aren't backed up by studies in reputable medical journals (or any type of journal).

"You also claimed that recommendations for fruit and vegetable consumption were the work of sugar companies" - NOPE never did that - I did respond to a question about it

"You've made a lot of claims here and they aren't backed up by studies in reputable medical journals" - yes i did

NIH
    MAYO
    JAP

you pic - reading is fun

When asked whether sugar companies benefit from people eating fruit, you responded: "of course it does - keep them eating sugar(fruit- sugar - basically the same) keep them fat - and watch us justify a low/no fat diet and we'll be able to load the products with sugar."

So you think the sugar companies had nothing to do with the recommendation to eat fruits and vegetables, they're just benefiting passively from recommendations made for other reasons? If I misunderstood you, then I apologize.

In the scenario you're writing about, who wants to "keep them fat" and why? If it isn't the sugar companies behind it, then who is doing it?

Sugar producers and corn producers love a fat USA - they get the tout a fat free diet knowing full well they are going to be throwing massive amounts of sugar into the product to make it taste good the whole time the package will say "FAT FREE" it so healthy for you

what products specifically?

the only low fat products I buy are 1% milk and non-fat Fage...neither of those products has added sugar at all...let alone "massive amounts"...I get plenty of dietary fat elsewhere from nuts, avocados, good cooking oils, etc...

It's 2018, not 1990...I don't really see "low fat" products produced and marketed like they were in 1990...

So what products specifically are marketed as "low fat" but have massive amounts of sugar added...

Perfect Example Special K - hey a HEALTHY cereal - almost no fat but hey please don;t look at thego1z8yxm0y57.jpg
    33 grams of Sugar - CRAP for you - but touted as healthy and people buy it by the truck loads but hey ITS A GRAIN

5.8 grams of sugar...the rest of the carbohydrates are starch and fiber

Carbohydrate is a sugar ---- fiber content is 2.6 gramds the rest????? SUGAR - oh wait don;t you get it from the milk too
    oh yeah FAT FREE milk though so its "healthy"

You know the sugar in milk is naturally occuring though... lactose.

and?????? who cares - its sugar - then you through the sugar in from you HEALTHY Special K and you fat free Faje yogurt with 8 more grams of Sugar - 100 pounds of year of processed sugar is what the average person eats - the average bag of sugar is 8 pounds - so that mean the average person literally consume 12-13 bag a year

Well you are the one claiming that there is tons of added sugar in fat free products....

it1aq8xolfqr.jpg

Look fat free - so it MUST be healthy for you aside form the 33 grams of sugar - but hey its FATFREE

When you have nothing of importance to say keep repeating faulty info... yup 5.8=33

Has a hard time reading labels - must suck

Even if you are going to count all the carbs as "sugar"...which they aren't...the 5.8 is part of the 26.6 grams of carbohydrates...as is the 2.6 grams of fiber...they aren't on top of the 26.6...learn to read labels..

Amazing how the sugar industry managed to get 5.8grams per box put into a HEALTHY cereal that already has 26 grams of Carbs

First of all, Special K is more promoted as low cal than healthy.

Second, "the sugar industry" did nothing. Consumer taste and Kellogg's decided to make a cereal with added sugar. You can buy cereal without it too.

And if you are concerned about added sugar, why rant about 33 g, most of which is obviously NOT added sugar. You seem to think all carbs are bad for people (see also posts complaining about the promotion of fruits and veg). Absurd.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited February 2018
    Ugh
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    I wonder why I'm not fat? I mean I'd guestimate that about 40% of my diet is carbohydrates...when I was heavily plant based it was more like 50-60%...still not fat. And if carbs were the devil I'd imagine that every vegan on the planet would be morbidly obese...

I'm going to go eat my coconut curry potato and lentil stew now...with some evil cumin roasted cauliflower...probably gonna get keel over after that...though I hope not as I'm supposed to lead a 30 mile group ride tomorrow if the weather holds...people are counting on me...

recipe? *drool*