What the eff??!!??

Options

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    It’s mid February, so barely a month. Sadly, It doesn’t work like that.
  • Rebecca9048
    Rebecca9048 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to lose my brothers suicide weight. 3 years ago, 5 days before Christmas he shot himself in the head. I practically stopped living for 2.5 years. Only going to work and taking care of my son, pretty much nothing else. All contact with friends stopped and I quickly put on 80 pounds. I. Couldn’t. Function. I was so full of anger, hurt and the whys I’ll never have answers to. I’m working on getting me back and making peace with his selfish decision. I deserve better than I’ve been doing for myself. It’s been a real battle but I’m moving mountains over here lately and even with the falls I’m super proud of myself.
    I am definitely surprised already by how many calories are in my “healthy” morning smoothies and protein shakes I make. It’s been a real eye opener and I’m only quarter way through day two!!
    Good luck to you with your baby weight!!

I’m so sorry OP.
    I don’t know what you’re feeling specifically, but I know what it’s like to lose yourself and make steps to get it back. Onward and upward.
  • AlbiesWifey2017
    AlbiesWifey2017 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If people want to be tenical I started being consistent on January 6th and worked out here and there very infrequently from November 12ish.. o1jghpwldvq1.png
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Omnimous69 wrote: »
    Try starting with strength training and ending with cardio. The blood flow to the torn muscle tissue is very important.

I’ve always thought that doing cardio first helps to loosen you up in preparation for lifting.. I don’t think in all the years that I’ve worked out that I’ve started any other way lolz. I will reverse it tomorrow morning and see how it goes!! Thank you for the suggestion.

Depending on how much "cardio" you're doing and how intensely, it can make you weaker.

5-10 minutes light warmup isn't the same as 30 minutes hard grinding at 7-8 mph
  • DMB147
    DMB147 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    maybe change routine? is cardio longer is weight strength increased? you might be at a plateau
  • AlbiesWifey2017
    AlbiesWifey2017 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Omnimous69 wrote: »
    Try starting with strength training and ending with cardio. The blood flow to the torn muscle tissue is very important.

I’ve always thought that doing cardio first helps to loosen you up in preparation for lifting.. I don’t think in all the years that I’ve worked out that I’ve started any other way lolz. I will reverse it tomorrow morning and see how it goes!! Thank you for the suggestion.

Depending on how much "cardio" you're doing and how intensely, it can make you weaker.

5-10 minutes light warmup isn't the same as 30 minutes hard grinding at 7-8 mph

I do my hard grinding with the weights. I do anywhere from 15 to 30 mins cardio in the am, sometimes I do the elliptical at home after my day is over. I am not a runner though. So a quick pace with spurts of running for 60 seconds then back down to a quick pace.. It’s certainly enough to get my heart going and make me sweat.
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    Options
    Visually? 6 months. But I have a lot of excess fat over my muscle, so naturally it will be much harder for me to see anything. Knowing that, I looked for non-visual cues, like being able to hold my form better. Or slinging heavy items around that I used to struggle with. And watching my resting heart rate drop. For those, I saw impressive changes in about 3 months.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to lose my brothers suicide weight. 3 years ago, 5 days before Christmas he shot himself in the head. I practically stopped living for 2.5 years. Only going to work and taking care of my son, pretty much nothing else. All contact with friends stopped and I quickly put on 80 pounds. I. Couldn’t. Function. I was so full of anger, hurt and the whys I’ll never have answers to. I’m working on getting me back and making peace with his selfish decision. I deserve better than I’ve been doing for myself. It’s been a real battle but I’m moving mountains over here lately and even with the falls I’m super proud of myself.
    I am definitely surprised already by how many calories are in my “healthy” morning smoothies and protein shakes I make. It’s been a real eye opener and I’m only quarter way through day two!!
    Good luck to you with your baby weight!!

So sorry to hear about your brother. I am glad you are finally making peace with it.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Cheese n rice people. I am implementing quite a bit of what I learned here on this thread. Its only my second day here but I have successfully weighed and logged my intake up to this point. I’m new to this. Also, this am when I did weights first then cardio, I noticed a SIGNIFICANT difference in my ability to push myself. I think I may make that a permanent change. If you read up on it, which I did, there is a scientific reason as to why this helps.. Everybody is so judgy,judgy. Geezeeee. Thanks for the good tips, advice and suggestions, ALL were read and contemplated upon. In the end I will do what works for me and what makes me feel good. Have a spectacular day!!

When I first started, I made a lot of mistakes. Eventually, over time, you'll get there! You're watching what you eat, and learning more about the best ways to work out, so you are heading in the right direction :)

Keep trying, and keep learning...you'll get there :)
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    If you are working out every day maybe you are overtraining? Remember: gains from working out are done during the "repair" phase. You break down muscle during the workout and then the muscle repairs and gets bigger/stronger. If you aren't giving yourself rest/repair time your body might be struggling and your weight is being affected.

I try to mix it up every day if I'm going without a rest day, so cardio one day, strength training the next. Or at worst upper body one day, lower body the next, core work the next, etc.

When we first start on our journeys sometimes we get so over-excited about the whole deal that we become semi-OCD and go over the deep end. I've been there (gave myself runners knee over-doing it by running too often and had to take a month off).

Good luck!
  • malcolmrmcintyre
    Options
    Another vote for weigh everything and check the calorific value in myfitnesspal
  • Omnimous69
    Omnimous69 Posts: 21 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    To all the people questioning my Strength before cardio suggestion, this was a tip I received from my cousin, who is a biologist and works out 3 - 4 times a week. He's looked cut for years. But, I just did a cursory look on google because so many people where questioning it. I'm not sure if I can post links here but https://blog.fitbit.com/cardio-or-weights-first/ was the second site I checked and was saying the same thing as the first site I checked.