WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR FEBRUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    I'm friends with Patrice...on Facebook...she just got back from Hawaii and her and her long time boyfriend got engaged....that is Gloria's daughter and I see pictures of the grandsons and they look like they are doing well..

Allie, thank you so much for sharing that about Gloria's daughter and the grandsons. I too have been thinking of her lately.

Janetr OKC
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,387 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Loving all the photographs......grandchildren, pleasant fires, snow covered trees, and Dana's mom!

Having dear husband around 24/7 is getting to me! Wishing he would find a hobby.

Carol in GA

Carol - is your husband still in the antique business? I am jealous of the spring weather you've been having! :D

Lanette
    SW WA State where we have snow flurries right now. Good day to stay home and watch it!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Rainstorm here, thunder and lightning. Beginning to ice to the west of us and temp here has now dipped below freezing. I'd rather have snow than ice. Off to do my Workout then finish the "fabrege" egg I started yesterday .

Love to you,
    Janetr OKC
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Lanette: My husband is not actively in the antique business. He is still going to sales on the weekend and buying things, but, they get packed away with the rest of the stuff that has accumulated over the past 40 yrs from his family's shop and from what he has collected. Right now, he watches tv all day and gets mad at me for staying on the computer much of the day. He has his own computer, so that isn't the problem.

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I was thinking of Gloworm recently, also. Glad for the update from Allie on the grand boys. For those of you who don't know, Gloria was one of us. Was it Janetr? or Carol? anyway, somebody noticed that there were some concerning FB posts on her page, and discovered that Gloria had been struck by a car while walking her dog, and was killed. She was raising her grandsons. We miss her, it's still so hard to think about, isn't it? Glad to hear that the grandsons are doing okay.

Carol LOL! In my neck of the woods, there are some great opportunities for old farts to get out of their wives' hair - Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden and Maymont Park, where the engineers and gardeners volunteer and make all kinds of displays for the Christmas season and other events. Also the Train Museum where the retired train enthusiasts build model train displays all day long, and run the museum. Science Museum where the scientists give lectures and direct groups here and there. Virginia Art Museum where the artistic can volunteer, the Civil War Museum and Va Historical Society for history buffs...you get the picture. Lots and lots of places for old men to go to spend the day. And of course they can be NICU Grannies and hold babies all day. >:)>:)>:)

Karen in Virginia
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the warm welcome! Looking forward to getting to know everyone. Enjoying the posts and pics! :)
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Top 3 faves:
    Italian
    Pub grub (hot wings/boneless skinless buffalo tenders)
    Mexican

Alas, not much Italian, except for pizza, and no Indian here. Haven't found good "wings" yet but the Thai restaurant has a great chicken sate.

Carol in GA I wouldn't be able to stand it so get out of the house at least 4 times a week ;} Can't imagine Joe volunteering for any of the worthy causes Karen in VA suggested, will be interested in other's tips on how to get hubs out to socialize/connect.

Lanette found this good news http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29629761 cooked, cooled then reheated starch even more favorable effect on insulin sensitivity. Wonder what further results since 2014? No need to share that snow you can keep it all for yourself ;) LOVE your advice to Wendy. Riding crop carrying SWMBO. Priceless!
    Rye would you remind us about the resistant starch discussion referred to by Lanette? Could be a big help to us carb junkies.
    Karen in VA, "...plumbing and electrical" ? Wow your HVAC folks do it all! "put their trucks in neutral..." Just saying it might help them to understand how Wendy feels about her horses being endangered.
    Katla neither did I venture away from home yesterday but will go line dancing tonight so fingers X'd. What info are you looking for about Klamath Falls? High desert, cold in winter, hot in summer and not lush green like NW Oregon...
    Rita sending good thoughts for DH's surgery and swift full easy recovery.

Time to meditate, SWSY arms and breakfast. Think I'll reheat yesterday's baked potato ;)

Mindful hugs to all,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Lanette, the snow you sent is arriving NOW. Thanks a lot :noway:
    Kim in N Cali ok if I send it on to you? :laugh:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Resistant Starch
    other interesting thing is resistant starch. There is some science to back this up, but not tons yet. When a resistant starch food like sweet potato is heated up, then cooled, some of the starch changes character to the point that it becomes resistant to digestion. Our body then treat it like it is fiber not carbohydrate. OK that part has good science behind it.

The interesting thing is that they have recently found that reheating these starches that do this does NOT Reverse the process as previously thought.

So you don’t have to eat your potatoes or sweet potatoes ( or pasta) cold to get the boost in resistant starch. While it is not enough calories saved for me to even bother changing the default entries on MFP, it is a kind of silent boost in my diet to fiber intake and properly feeding my gut biome.

So any day that I would like a baked potato: I heat it up in the microwave in the morning cool it on the counter then put it in the refrigerator before I actually use it that night for dinner. When I reheat it still tastes exactly as it would have if I had it directly out of the microwave earlier.

Yeah, I wish we could find more and more recent info on this, but it appears that for at least 3 starches: pasta, rice, and potatoes- if you cook, then cool (then reheat if you wish) some of the starch gets converted to a starch that acts more like fiber and resists digestion. You can “see” this when using the cooled things, the gummy consistency of refrigerated rice for instance.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,387 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Lanette found this good news http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29629761 cooked, cooled then reheated starch even more favorable effect on insulin sensitivity. Wonder what further results since 2014? No need to share that snow you can keep it all for yourself ;) LOVE your advice to Wendy. Riding crop carrying SWMBO. Priceless!
    Rye would you remind us about the resistant starch discussion referred to by Lanette? Could be a big help to us carb junkies.

Time to meditate, SWSY arms and breakfast. Think I'll reheat yesterday's baked potato ;)

Mindful hugs to all,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.

Barbara - I am super glad to share the snow.

Rye
    - good info about pasta, rice and potatoes being resistant when reheated.

I found an article yesterday saying not to reheat because it "destroyed the crystals" in the cooked/cooled start which turns it into fiber.... it might have been Dr. Hyman. I'll keep looking tho.

I think that study in the link Barbara provided was very interesting. Sometimes just for kicks I check my glucose an hour after a meal, and I know I've been baffled at how low it is after eating what I'd consider high-starch foods. So I think there is something to it. Sugar is sugar tho. Wish heated up and cooled sugar made it more resistant. I'd heat up a batch of Reese cups if that was the case.

I do like Asian cold noodle salads with sesame oil. Haven't ever made one but I think I'll look for recipes today, they might use rice noodles. Does anyone have a recipe?

By the way, every time I do my strength training I write "SWSY" on the calendar I have hanging in my workout room. On days I really don't feel like heading out there, I do it anyway, and part of the habit is the satisfaction of being able to mark it on the calendar. A small thing. Strong Women Stay Young.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    <3<3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    Had a good lunch with my friend. I had soup and gave her the bread and butter. Then a starter portion of Moroccan Rabbit Leg with salad. I barely used any of the harisaa mayonnaise. It was nice to be driven there as I could wear high heeled knee length boots. :laugh: As I spend most of my life in sportswear it's great to scrub up occasionally. :D
    My yoga friend texted me during the meal to say she hasn't been accepted on the training programme for celebrant. She is very disappointed.

Going to do something slimming with prawns and tomatoes for dinner. Broccoli. I have put a huge baked potato in for DH's calorie needs.

Katla - Sorry to hear your daughter is not happy. Did you feel that when you were there recently? I think you sensed a long time ago that things might not work out perfectly with their arrangements.

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Gorgeously hot summer day!! It was up to 37C on the trail, but a bit lower than that in the shade. And now we're relaxing in air con.

We'll walk into town in a little while for dinner.

Speaking of dinner, and with the comments about Mexican food earlier in this thread ...

What are your top 3 favourite cuisines?

Me ... generally speaking, and recognising that there are regional differences ... :)

Mexican
    Indian
    Italian

Machka in Oz

Machka, you and I would be great dinner/lunch buddies. We could rotate through those three choices over and over.
  • Sunkist796
    Sunkist796 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbie for creating this page. I am about to embark on a journey. On Feb. 28 I am having revision surgery from The Sleeve to RNY so my goal this month is to stay on track with my pre-op diet. I am excited but a little concerned about the pain and higher risk of complications. I'd love to hear from anyone who has gone through the revision surgery.

My second goal is to begin walking the hallways of my huge apartment block. I'm recovering from a fall when I tripped on the stairs a few weeks ago but thankfully I am healing thanks to my chiropractor and GP.

I live in Manitoba, Canada so it's cold and icy to walk outside in February. It's best for me to walk indoors for now.
    I am open to making new friends on the site.

Donna
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Hey Donna! I am in Winnipeg as well! Live off of Henderson Hwy! We should meet up!