WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR FEBRUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Cheri prayers. Time for me to rewatch the movie Wonder. If I have to choose being right or kind choose kind.

Working today so just a quick hello.

:heart: Margaret

• LifeChoiceGrammy
    LifeChoiceGrammy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Anyone here do Keto??
  • sdjm62
    sdjm62 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,724 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Sue - Nessa is adorable -- what an intelligent face! I can see the poodle in her! I'll bet she'll be easy to train and a very loyal companion for you and your family. Give her a hug for me!! <3

Becca
    - if you weren't so far away I'd drive down for that crab feed. YUMMY! I don't mind cracking crab, a pair of pliers works fine. Dungeness is my favorite! Love your sayings. How's the Chief doing tonight?

Sue and Janetr
    - sending you healing thoughts for your dentist experiences.

Pip, Rita, Pat - love your dog pictures! Pat, how old is Pup-pup? What a doll!

Joyce - loved the photo of your kitties! So glad they are getting along so well. I see what you mean about Mozart being a big boy. When we got a second one, it never did make up with the first one - maybe because they were both adults and set in their ways.

Hope everyone had a good Valentine's Day!

We've been watching the Olympic Ice Skating today. Enjoyed the skiing jumps and snowboarding the past couple days. The luge made my neck and abs hurt, lol.

New ladies coming on here with concerns about weight loss and health problems...I am a fan of strength training. I thank Barbie and Mary and Heather and Michele and Kate in the UK and Pip (and there are several others of you who are escaping me right now) for getting me off to a good start last year. Barbie with the "Strong Women Stay Young" book and you other gals for being such a good examples of the power of exercise in weight loss, helping with maintenance, boosting metabolism after menopause.

Rye found the link for "Strong Women Stay Young" book - I think it's here: http://growingstronger.nutrition.tufts.edu/ with the free downloadable book.

I've been strength training with little dumbbells and ankle weights in a room attached to my DH's shop since May 20th of last year. I'm here to tell you I'm a lot stronger, balance is better, blood sugar better, blood pressure better AND my metabolism is really gung-ho doing this light weight lifting routine approximately 30 minutes a day three times a week.

I stepped on the scale this morning and am now down to 161.2 (I am 5'9" when I first get out of bed in the morning). I've lost around 8 lbs since I started the strength training with trying to eat right but falling off the wagon plenty with the sugary and salty snacks. I'm now making more of an effort to curtail the junk food since it's so bad for my brain!

MFP has a good system of logging if you are keeping track of calories. I'm not worried about calories in/calories out but endeavor to eat plenty of good quality foods including healthy fats and if I don't stray too far into the snack cupboard, I generally am close to MFP's recommended calories anyhow.

I was 65 when I started doing this last year and had never lifted a weight in my life, so it can be done, and I was coming off painful round of bursitis in my knee.

If you want to start, my advice is take it slow and talk with your doctor if you have physical concerns. I have some joint issues so I keep my weights down a little and add more sets or reps.

I know I have a lot of bad habits, but this good habit tops my list and I look forward to it every time. o:)B)

Lanette
    SW WA State

Awwwww thank u gurlfriend!! I am here for ya babe
  • LifeChoiceGrammy
    Options
    Thank you!! I have not heard of this one...will research it!!!
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,298 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Lisa - Have a great weekend away! You are doing great on your weight loss! It is my Friday too. Since I got my hours cut to two days a week I only work Tu-We. I am so used to working either Tu-We-Th (or when it was two days a week before Tu and Th) that since I am off today my mind thinks it is Friday. When I realize hubs won't be off tomorrow I feel a let down every week. I'll get used to it eventually, probably about the time they want me to start working 3 days a week again.

Terry - I'm glad you are going to the Dr today. My last bladder infection hit the morning I was leaving for a friends Mom's funeral. Talk about a long flight and an even longer drive from the airport!! The drive was only 90 minutes but I had to stop 1/2 way going and coming. The funeral was on Friday so I couldn't get in to the Dr. until Monday. It was a very long weekend. Luckily, the Dr. gave me a refill on the antibiotic since it wasn't my first rodeo and I knew exactly what it was. He said that way I didn't have to suffer next time :smiley:. So far I haven't needed it, but I have it when I do.

Kay - I'm no help with keto. I eat anything I want as long as it fits in the calories. Well, except pasta. I tried to eat a 2 oz serving of pasta and it set like a rock in my stomach (and my hubs). It was a very long night after that and I haven't tried it again. Now I just make zoodles when I want pasta. I'm thinking about trying to make lasagna noodles with spaghetti. The hub has been wanting lasagna.

Speaking of eating anything I want...last week on vaca the friends we were with kept asking "can you eat that?". I told them repeatedly that I can eat anything I want. If there was somewhere they really wanted to go, I could find something that I would eat. I generally start with a green salad and eat all of it to take up a bunch of room in my stomach and then add whatever I want. Last week it was mostly grilled fish, yum! Fresh fish is hard to find here so I was in 7th Heaven all week.

Michelle - you asked about the roll around your middle. Have you tried limiting sugar (including natural sugars in fruit) for a couple off weeks (or a month) to see if it makes a difference? I know when I eat a lot of fruit that I tend to not lose anything even though I weigh every portion of the fruit on my food scale and it easily fits in my calories. Something about a lot of fruit and my body don't mix well. I normally have a banana and 1/2 an apple each day and do OK with that. I don't know if it would make a difference for you or not.

Love all the dog pictures! I so miss my Sam dog.

Okie in the TX Hill Country

edited to change to Kay I was directing the Keto comment to. Sorry!
  • LifeChoiceGrammy
    Options
    Lisa ...what do you have your goals set on here with protein, carbs and fat??
    Thanks Okie!!
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Michelle - I too have wondered how to tell who has liked our post or hugged us.

Okie
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Heather I've never heard the expression but I will bet you look so healthy and fit he couldn't resist commenting!

Lisa Enjoy your boutique hotel experience. I'm so looking forward to a vacation with my DH I can hardly stand it!

NYKAREN
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Did 30 min on the elliptical then took the power hour class. i really like that class. Lots of new things and it's quite challenging. The plan for tomorrow is to do a step DVD. They don't have a rebounder down here and the bosu that they have doesn't have the stability bar. I'm hesitant to do a bosu workout w/o the bar since I have the bar at home and am used to it.

Does anyone know which burns the most calories -- walking on the treadmill or using the elliptical (with the arms). Heather -- do you maybe have both pieces of equipment?

Vince had some acid reflux. The last time he had it it went into his lungs so he was worried it went into his lungs again. He went to the emergency care but his lungs sound OK, so they put him on antibiotic as a precaution.

Heather - do you log your food or just watch what you eat?

Okie - I know that I'll have a hard time limiting my sugar in fruits. I don't use much added sugar at all, but after vegetables I love fruit. I'll try to give it a try...no promises

Kay - I'm basicaly like Okie in that I eat whatever I want as long as it's within my calorie limit. I do try to watch what I put in my body, tho.

Michele who will vacuum and then maybe sit by the pool
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Lisa ...what do you have your goals set on here with protein, carbs and fat??
    Thanks Okie!!

@KayKallsen52 Here is a low carb group you might be interested in: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    I think it is time American's stop asking politicians "How many kids have to die in school shootings" and instead ask "Whose kids have to die in school shootings" in order to have some action taken for gun control. Obviously sheer numbers won't move our politicians. This is America, land of "who you know". Not that I wish any more school shootings, but how quickly would things get resolved if those politician's children and grandchildren were the among the students involved?! My heart is so hurt; but I am SO incredibly angry that this is still going on and NO action has been taken for gun control.

Spending the day with small innocent children, who in a couple of years will be going to school, where they will be having "shooter drills" on what to do if a shooter enters the school.

sorry if too political. It's all I've got in my head this morning. Turning the news off so that the kids don't see it. Sending love to you all. Especially you, Cheri, with friends and family still in the Parkland community! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

THIS