Fatty liver

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Have you used MFP to set your goal calories and started tracking? I'd want to lose these last 5kgs in a slow and controlled fashion. Congrats on getting the first 6kgs off and cleaning up your diet.

I just started using MFP yesterday. I've been dieting 3 weeks now. What I did was cut in between snacks. Porridge for breakfast, a light lunch and a bowl of soup for dinner. You could say I was just having 2 meals a day. And I continued my exercises.

That doesn't sound like enough calories to be sustainable

Yes, I couldn't afford to lose weight slowly and gradually. I had to be more extreme because of the reason why I had to lose it. Basically I have to get low and check if my medical problem still persists.

Your doctor told you to crash diet to lose the weight quickly?

Actually mine did! When I started losing weight, my doctor, who was fairly young and into fitness, told a 400lb man to eat 1600 cals a day and exercise heavily! Horrid advice BTW! I also talked to another MD, not mine this time, I left his practice, that said she hands out 1600 cal a day diets to the obese all the time! WOW!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Have you used MFP to set your goal calories and started tracking? I'd want to lose these last 5kgs in a slow and controlled fashion. Congrats on getting the first 6kgs off and cleaning up your diet.

I just started using MFP yesterday. I've been dieting 3 weeks now. What I did was cut in between snacks. Porridge for breakfast, a light lunch and a bowl of soup for dinner. You could say I was just having 2 meals a day. And I continued my exercises.

Yes, I couldn't afford to lose weight slowly and gradually. I had to be more extreme because of the reason why I had to lose it. Basically I have to get low and check if my medical problem still persists.

Actually mine did! When I started losing weight, my doctor, who was fairly young and into fitness, told a 400lb man to eat 1600 cals a day and exercise heavily! Horrid advice BTW! I also talked to another MD, not mine this time, I left his practice, that said she hands out 1600 cal a day diets to the obese all the time! WOW!

OP isn't 200lbs over weight so that is not a useful comparison.

Yes, I know, I was just showing that many MD's have no clue on good weight loss and sometimes give horrid advice.

Getting someone to drop weight quickly when they're 200lbs overweight seems like good advice. 1600 cals isn't loads but a 400lb person can sustain that deficit for a while. Plus, if they aren't weighing accurately they're probably eating more than that anyway.
  • psychod787

Yes, I know, I was just showing that many MD's have no clue on good weight loss and sometimes give horrid advice.

Getting someone to drop weight quickly when they're 200lbs overweight seems like good advice. 1600 cals isn't loads but a 400lb person can sustain that deficit for a while. Plus, if they aren't weighing accurately they're probably eating more than that anyway.

Losing weight is a great idea, but at what level and rate is the question. Sure, they can maintain a deficit for a while when grossly obese, but what is the compliance rate? I also bring into account, that many MD's do not even go into quality of nutrients. When someone drops weight that quickly, we know that they lose lean mass like crazy! While losing the weight is all good and well, the loss of lean mass is hard to get back. I will even go into the biggest loser studies done by Kevin Hall in 2016. Of the 14 of 16 contestants that came in for testing, 12 of the 14 had regain most if not all their weight. Yes, I know that they were on TV, and that can be different than real life, but their diets were very similar. Most ate an average of 1200-1400 cals a day to lose weight and went through extensive exercise programs. Maybe if MD's took the time to understand that a slower approach can work just as well, if not better IMHO, people would have the time to learn how to weight, measure, and log accurately.
  • TavistockToad

Losing weight is a great idea, but at what level and rate is the question. Sure, they can maintain a deficit for a while when grossly obese, but what is the compliance rate? I also bring into account, that many MD's do not even go into quality of nutrients. When someone drops weight that quickly, we know that they lose lean mass like crazy! While losing the weight is all good and well, the loss of lean mass is hard to get back. I will even go into the biggest loser studies done by Kevin Hall in 2016. Of the 14 of 16 contestants that came in for testing, 12 of the 14 had regain most if not all their weight. Yes, I know that they were on TV, and that can be different than real life, but their diets were very similar. Most ate an average of 1200-1400 cals a day to lose weight and went through extensive exercise programs. Maybe if MD's took the time to understand that a slower approach can work just as well, if not better IMHO, people would have the time to learn how to weight, measure, and log accurately.

You're arguing with yourself at this point... You said you know of a person who was told to eat 1600, I said that's fine, you're now talking about biggest loser contestants eating 1200 cals...
  • TavistockToad

You're arguing with yourself at this point... You said you know of a person who was told to eat 1600, I said that's fine, you're now talking about biggest loser contestants eating 1200 cals...

And I'm failing to see what the biggest loser has to do with fatty liver?

Indeed
  • Saifnasirpk
    Saifnasirpk Posts: 26 Member

He told me to diet. I went on a crash diet. Not good huh?
  • Saifnasirpk
    lorrpb wrote: »
    How high is it? Usually they look for any underlying medical issue. If you’re already at a healthy weight you can’t just decide yo lose fat from your liver. I’ve also been told that weight loss can contribute to fatty liver. Makes no Sense but that’s what they say.

It's 80, normal range is 40 to 50. I'm in a healthy limit already but still got the fat on my liver
  • Saifnasirpk
    jfan175 wrote: »
    I'm not huge fan of herbal remedies, but there's evidence that milk thistle is effective in healing and detoxifying the liver.

Not while op has no idea what is causing the fatty liver.

No idea. I come in the normal range and work out so clueless
  • psychod787
    edited February 2018

Was just letting someone know, doctors do advise crash dieting. Then using a well known example of a study of crash dieting results. That's all.